Hello Everybody!

Here's a spot to say "Hello!"
Ann Harding

Hello Everybody!

Post by Ann Harding »

I am not quite sure I am posting at the right place...but I'll go ahead anyway. Just let know if I am in the wrong thread. :wink:

I just joined your Forum and I am looking forward to some interesting discussion on movies. I have been a movie lover for about 20 years. At the moment, I am trying very hard to discover as many as possible silent and 30s pictures (American Pre-Code and French films).

I have a few pet subjects such as Ronald Colman (who deserved to be better known) and Ann Harding, the lovely 30s actress.

See you soon!!! :)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Hi Ann:

It's so nice to have you here.

Some places you can check are in the section of "The Films" which takes up most of the main page. There is a forum for "Silents and Precodes." They are popular here. Also check "The People of Film." There are many threads devoted to specific people. I didn't see one for Ronald Colman so feel free to start one.

I hope you'll browse through everything and maybe find some other things that will interest you.

Welcome and have fun.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Welcome aboard, Ann.
Lots of good topics and friendly folks.
Enjoy,
Chris
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Welcome Ann Harding!
You'll find many others who share your fondness for Miss Harding and for Ronald Colman. I hope that you'll post about films that you've enjoyed, and other topics as well.

One film of Ann Harding's that I hope to discuss with someone some day is a Tay Garnett movie called Prestige (1932) about French colonists in Indochina. Her co-stars are Adolphe Menjou and Melvin Douglas. It's odd, but with Ann in it, the movie also has a pensive soulfulness that makes it hard to forget. If you'd like, we could take up a discussion about Ann Harding, Colman or anyone else in the Drama, People of Film, or Silents and Pre-Codes sections.

I hope that you'll take your time and look around our site. There's a lot of content and your suggestions and questions are entirely welcome. Below is a photo that you might enjoy of Ronald Colman, Ann Harding and Dudley Digges in Condemned (1930).
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Hi Ann - nice to see you here. I especially love Pre-Codes too, as well as Ronnie Colman! I had the chance to see Condemned on the big screen a couple years ago, and they made a wonderful couple, both with such refined voices and manner of speaking.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Christine and Welcome to SSO!!!

It's just soooo nice to see you posting here! You're a wonderful addition to these wonderful Boards :D

I'm looking forward to many interesting discussions about Ronald Colman, Ann Harding, our admired Frank Borzage (Moira is another fervent admirer of his work), '30s films, Pre-Codes, French films, etc.

Sincerely,

Fernando
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Hi Ann. Welcome to the site. Count me as a Borzage fan as well. 8)
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Thanks very much for the warm wellcome!!! :D

Thanks for the picture of Condemned, this is one of my favourite pictures. 8)

As for Prestige, I discovered it recently and was amazed by the fluidity of the camera work. Some aspects of the film are downright racist, quite typical of 'colonial pictures' of the time. Apparently Ann Harding loathed the film. But, in spite of its unsavoury aspects, it's a very interesting picture and all the actors give remarkable performances.

As for Borzage, this is definitely one of my favourite directors. I am glad there are other fans around. :D

I also love King Vidor, Victor Sjöström, Nicholas Ray, Max Ophüls and quite a few more....
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I hope this is the right place to say hello.

I am what the name suggests a Charlie Chaplin fan but that is a little misleading as this is where my interest in film began. To me he is the most accomplished artist of any that appeared on film. His films can be understood from the youngest to the oldest person

Despite being a huge fan of Charlie Chaplin I'm also a huge fan of Buster Keaton and silent film comedy in general. I can't answer the question as to who was best Chaplin or Keaton because to me it's like comparing apples and pears. Chaplin is slightly more to my taste but I always tend to like the one I've watched last. Thank heavens for the both of them because the pushed the boundaries in silent film comedy.

I love the whole genre of silent films, the stars and how they looked. The films without talking but beautiful musical accompaniments and the universal language that makes them famous the world over.

My other film interest are musical, especially with Gene Kelly and romantic comedies especially with Carole Lombard or Cary Grant. My favorite era after silent are the wonderful films of the thirties.

I love to read and collect books on film too.

I'd love to find out more about film and chat to fellow enthusiasts. I've seen a couple of names I recognise on here. I know Annharding (hello) I hope I can make worthy contributions to this board.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Welcome, Charlie!

You'll find lots of members interested in similar aspects of cinema in our Silents and Precode sections, as well as Musicals and People in Film, and just about every area. I hope that you'll enjoy looking around and will feel free to participate in ongoing discussions and start new threads if you'd like. Please let us know if you have any questions.

I hope that you'll check out the discussion with archivist David Shepard found here as well, since I think it might interest you.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Thank you for the welcome. I'll look forward to looking around and contributing to the discussions :)
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Welcome, Ann Harding and Charlie!

Sandy K
feaito

Post by feaito »

Welcome to the Boards Charlie!! :D
charliechaplinfan

Thank you for your welcome both of you :)
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi Charlie,
Welcome to the club. I hope they showed you the secret handshake on the way in!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.