Welcome to Michael Hoey, Our Guest Author for 3/15 & 3/16

Past chats with our guests.
Michael_A_Hoey

Re: Welcome to Michael Hoey, Our Guest Author for 3/15 & 3/16

Post by Michael_A_Hoey »

Dear Sue Sue, Nigel Bruce was a lovely man who was a good friend of my father's. He had a marvelous sense of humor. I've mentioned several times about the autographed photo he gave me the day I visited the "Pearl of Death" set, which he inscribed: "To Michael, who is a nice boy in spite of his father." I think that quote you found exemplifies the sweetness of his character.
Scott_Nollen

Post by Scott_Nollen »

Mike, as a writer, is there a particular production with which you are most satisfied, both in its fidelity to your script and the overall quality of the finished product?
Michael_A_Hoey

Post by Michael_A_Hoey »

Moira, once again I failed to completely answer your question regarding Norman Taurog's films. For Drama, I think "Boy's Town" and 'Skippy," for musicals definitely "Broadway Melody of 1940," and for comedy, "Room for One More."
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Thank you, Mr. Hoey. I loved Nigel Bruce.
Any comments about events on the set or during the filming of Boys' Town that might make us appreciate it even more?
I'm enjoying your comments, and appreciate you visit here. :lol:
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Michael_A_Hoey

Post by Michael_A_Hoey »

Mickey Rooney was full of mischief on "Boy's Town," he had a piano on the set and was composing songs with his pal, Sid Miller in between takes. Tracy warned him, early in the filming, not to try any tricks to upstage him, or he would see to it that Rooney regretted it.
Michael_A_Hoey

Post by Michael_A_Hoey »

Yes, Scott, it was a television script I wrote for "Fame" called "Star Quality." It was about a bitter old tap dancer who can no longer find work and his son who sneaks into the School to try and learn a different way to dance. The big production number at the end was a version of "Singing in the Rain" with Leroy and the kid dancing to the original musical arrangement from the film. It was the first script I wrote on "Fame."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I appreciate your taking the time to answer so many of our questions. What was it like working at Warner Brothers in the '60s when Jack Warner was still there?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Scott_Nollen

Post by Scott_Nollen »

Mike, here's a question you probably weren't expecting. When I was a kid, I loved Teresa Graves, first seeing her on LAUGH IN and then on GET CHRISTIE LOVE, which I never missed. Many years later, I discovered that Teresa left acting after just one season of the show due to religious reasons. For the one episode on which you worked as a writer, did she express any concern with the content or dialogue, as she was known to do because of her beliefs? She was such a beauty, as well as a real trailblazer as the first African American woman to have her own hour-long TV series. I've always meant to ask you if you met her in 1975. It's such a tragedy how she died at age 54.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Scott, I also enjoyed Get Christie Love. So sorry to hear about her early demise.

Mr. Hoey, can you tell us anything about the filming of the Fame episode entitled "Beginnings" with Marge Champion? Were there any feelings of ill-will between Debbie Allen and Marge Champion?

The reason I ask is that Debbie Allen was part of a panel at the TCM Festival concerning dance on film one year, and Marge Champion was also on the dais, and Allen did not speak to Champion, look at her, or acknowledge Champion in any way during Allen's 20 minute 'response' to an audience plant.

If this question offends you in any way, please feel free to dismiss it. Thank you for your wonderful visit! :D
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Mr. Hoey,

Welcome to the Oasis and thank you for spending the weekend with us.

I grew up with parents who were big Elvis fans and I saw most of his movies during their original release because of that. I was wondering, how did you come to write movies for Elvis?

Thanks so much!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Michael Hoey ... I have two questions about your Director's Career ...

Welcome to SSO and it's a pleasure to meet with you ...

In the 1966 Film "The Navy vs The Night Monsters" it has a budget of $178,000 and shot in 10 days - it must be a rush to get this movie done quickly and effortlessly. I was surprised to see that happening and I was also surprised that it's starred Mamie Van Horn as Nora Hall who was actually pretty darn good in this movie and having said that - could you explained to me how in the world you managed to get this movie under wrap in 10 days?

In 1986 ... you directed two shows of "Blacke's Magic" ... starring Hal Linden and I was wondering what it's like working with him on that show and the reason for this question - I was a big fan of that show and I was sad when this show was taken off the network and I was surprised to see "Death Goes to the Movies (1986) ... (as Michael A. Hoy)" listed in IMDb and this show was considered my favorite one of all time and wondering what it's like to be on the set of "Blacke's Magic" working there and meeting with Mr. Linden himself who made himself a household name playing Captain Barney Miller on Barney Miller earlier in his career.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Hello, Mr. Hoey. How was it working with super star Elvis Presley?
Thank you.
Joe
Joseph Goodheart
charlestranberg

Post by charlestranberg »

Welcome Mr. Hoey and congratulations on all your wonderful books. Two quick questions:

1) Did Norman Taurog enjoy directing Jerry Lewis? (I think he directed Lewis 8 times)

2) What do you recall about working with and directing Jane Wyman on Falcon Crest?
[color=#0040FF][b]Links:[/b][/color]
[color=#0040FF][b][url=http://www.bearmanormedia.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=682]Charles Tranberg's Latest Book: FREDRIC MARCH: A CONSUMMATE ACTOR[/url][/b][/color]

[color=#0040FF][b][url=http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Tranberg/e/B009EECH7C/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_2?qid=1382651629&sr=8-2]Charles Tranberg's Other Books[/url][/b][/color]
Brian McFadden

Post by Brian McFadden »

I've wanted to ask this ever since reading your Pearl of Death story. Universal’s B’s always looked so good because they had the advantage of re-using standing sets. Your dad appeared on the same lavish castle set in S.H. Faces Death, House of Fear, and The She-Wolf of London. I know you were very young, but do you remember if the Pearl of Death set you visited was as impressive as it looks on the screen?

Thanks so much,
Brian
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Unfortunately, due to illness, Michael Hoey will not be returning today. I know that each of us wishes him well and hopes that he knows that he will be welcome to return anytime.

Please take care of yourself, Michael. Thanks for visiting.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks