Seen and Heard on the Blvd- Lzcutter's TCM FF Recaps

Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Seen and Heard on the Blvd- TCM Film Fest 2014

Post by Lzcutter »

What was the "infamous telescope girl" promo?

Knitty,

That was the promo with the scantily clad woman who looked out windows and towards the camera with one of those sea-faring spyglasses that pirates and such used to scan the horizon.

It was also the month that TCM was doing a salute to Janus Films so there were a number of clips of foreign and art house movies featured in the promo.

Here's the promo:

[youtube][/youtube]

It aired something like two weeks after the first TCM Underground promo with Rob Zombie started running.

The boards exploded in chaos!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks, Lynn...this was not one of their best efforts (IMHO) :shock: :shock: Guess I am just an ol' fuddy duddy!!!! :roll: :roll:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Knitty,

No worries, a great many posters agreed with you!

It was one of the most divisive promos they ever produced!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Lynn,

I'd be more inclined to visit and sit in on the discussions. Catch a film with whatever time was left.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Brian McFadden

Post by Brian McFadden »

You've done such a fantastic job keeping all of us posted. Between the regular events, the behind-the-scenes material on the guests and the great pictures, I feel like I was there. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Brian
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Little time to eat, movies to see, discussions to hear!!!

Recaps of the 2015 edition of the TCM Film Festival, coming to this thread very soon!!!!!!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Rita Hayworth

Re: Seen and Heard on the Blvd- LZcutter's TCM FF Recaps

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Looking forward for those recaps ... :)
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Seen and Heard on the Blvd- Lzcutter's TCM FF Recaps

Post by Lzcutter »

Dateline Hollywood, California

Wednesday, March 25th

We arrived at the Roosevelt Hotel in mid-afternoon. The lobby was already set up with the TCM Store and the stage was in place for Ben M to begin interviewing on Friday.
While waiting for Scott McGee to join us for a drink, an older gentleman approached us with a poster tube in his hand. Noticing our badges, he asked if we would be interested in the poster. Being the skeptics, we are both MrC and I asked what the poster was of. He replied it was the official TCM FF poster of Buster Keaton from Steamboat Bill. We said sure and he gave us the poster. We still aren’t sure why but maybe he didn’t want to travel with it on a plane or something.

Shortly after that, Scott appeared with his wife, Shannon, and we toasted to a successful festival. Scott asked what we were excited to see and Jon told him he was looking forward to seeing The Wind and the Lion on the big screen as it had been almost 40 years since he had seen it that way. Scott asked me and I replied that I was probably going to see The Apartment while Jon was watching TWatL because I wanted to hear Shirley MacLaine talk about the film. Scott strongly suggested that I go to see TWatL reminding me that there was the longer Shirley MacLaine interview on Sunday in Club TCM that we were planning on attending. I have learned from previous festivals that when it is suggested that I attend something, I should go. So change of plans right then and there. That's an indication how quickly plans can change!

We had a lovely time talking with the McGees and it was the same bar where I had met Scott and Genevieve back in November when they were in town to see Sophia Loren honored by the AFI and Scott had asked me if I thought Terry Leonard would be a good guest for the Festival. I immediately said “hell yeah” and Scott seemed pleased that I knew who the stuntman was. I think I surprised him a bit more when I ticked off names of the films that Leonard had worked on. We toasted to that and then the McGees were off to find some TCM staffers they were supposed to meet up with.

While we were sitting there waiting for David (kingrat) to join us, We hadn’t seen David since right after Thanksgiving and it was great to see him again. We were both very happy to see The Man who Would Be King on the schedule as we had been advocating for it for the last couple of years. I noticed that our friendly maitre'd of Club TCM, Rich, was across the lobby. I excused myself from the conversation and went over to say "hey". Kyle, Peter and I had first met Rich the first year of the festival and we have been friends ever since. He is always looking out for me when it comes to Club TCM events and we are very appreciative of that. We chatted briefly and then he had to get back to making sure that Club TCM was being assembled properly and I returned to the bar. Jon and David were chatting away and we ended up talking for a bit and I believe that Paula (countessdelave) joined us for a bit as did Alexa (MrsOsborne).

It was soon time to head over to get the car and head over to Musso and Frank’s for the second annual “Larry’s Brigade” dinner. I wanted to get there early to talk to the wait staff to see what kind of table we could get as our membership had grown from eight last year to twelve this year with the inclusion of Jon (who wisely took the day off this year), Texas Theresa (butterscotchgreer) , her hubby, Joe who was at the FF for the first time and Peter (filmlover).

Unfortunately, due to our large number we had to suffice with a long table. We decided to put Larry in the middle chair so that he could talk to as many as he could. Christy (Suex2) was finishing up her happy hour with her Facebook group (which included Monika Henreid ) while the others started to arrive.

Alexa had gone to see Cora Sue Collins (who had played Greta Garbo as a child in Queen Christina) interviewed poolside at the Roosevelt and joined us a bit later. We finally all sat down and ordered drinks. On my first trip to the ladies room I noticed that Academy Award winner Christophe Waltz was dining directly across the bar from us. He knew I had recognized him and seemed relieved when I just nodded and moved on.

We had a terrific dinner and though we were rowdier than last year, I don’t think we scared Joe off. Glenn (yanceycravet) sent his regrets via a message from the waiter so we took a picture and I emailed it to him.

Both Jon and I ordered hamburgers and they were just great as was the screwdriver I nursed through the evening. We compared schedules and discovered that the majority of us were going to The Dawn of Technicolor presentation on Friday morning bright and early.

All too soon, it seemed it was time to call it a night and I began the effort of trying to herd the group to the parking lot.

Texas T, Joe and David opted to walk back to their hotels which were basically next to each other up on Highland.

We finally got everyone else out to the parking lot and Paula offered to take those going back to the Roosevelt and Jon and I headed home to see how Mr. Bo was doing.

Tomorrow would come soon enough and we had plans to get to the Roose before they opened the doors to Club TCM because we wanted a booth for the Meet TCM panel which kicked off the festival at 1:00.

More to follow!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

I should have posted this first before the Wednesday recap but too late now!

Dateline- Hollywood
The TCM FF runs Thursday-Sunday each year and each year we start celebrating earlier. This year, the festival was to start on Thursday, March 26th, so we started celebrating on Tuesday evening, March 24th. A small group of us, Christy (Suex2), Paula (countessdelave), Alexa (MrsOsborne) and Mary Mallory met at El Coyote for dinner.

I had chosen the eatery due to its long history with the City of Angels and Hollywood and the added bonus of being easy for the others to get to from the Hollywood Roosevelt. Mary was coming from Pasadena and was running a bit late. After work, I headed over the hill in traffic that didn’t seem all that heavy for a change.

We met out in the parking lot because El Coyote still has one of the best valet prices in town- $3.50. That combined with their moderately priced drinks and dinner menu and we were good to go! We had hoped to sit on the patio but it was filled with teen athletes celebrating some winning game.

We found a large booth and ordered drinks, chips and guacamole while we waited for Mary, which wasn’t that long at all!

We had a wonderful time getting caught up , eating way too many chips and guacamole and just enjoying our relaxing time together. Christy spoke Spanish to the waiters, Alexa recounted the restaurant’s Hollywood roots and notorious history and I told the story of eating on the patio there one time at a table near Richard Widmark.

We had a great time and talked about our dinner the next night at Musso and Frank’s with Larry.

The Festival was off to a rousing start despite the fact that it didn’t officially start for another day and a half.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Dateline- Hollywood, CA
Thursday, March 26th

The first official day of the festival dawned and in true City of Angels fashion, promised to be a bit warm. By the time we headed to Hollywood, the temperatures were already at 80 degrees and rising. The next few days promised to be even warmer.

We got to Roosevelt with little problem (the joys of driving in non-rush hour traffic) and arrived in the lobby about 11:30. Given all the brouhaha over the schedule on several social media sites and the fact that new general manager, Jennifer Dorian, would be making her debut, I knew the event was going to be crowded. To give a bit of backstory, once the schedule was posted this year, a large cry could be heard across social media that the Festival was changing and focusing on more post-1970s and that would be the wave of the future film festivals. Of particular concern was Out of Sight being on the schedule. Film editor Anne Coates, who had won an Academy Award for Lawrence of Arabia and would be introducing that film, was saluted at the Festival and when asked which of her films she would like to introduce, she chose Larry of Arabia and Out of Sight, the two films that she thought best represented her editing work.

We met up with David and about 11:45, I moved over closer to the doors. The booths in Club TCM are not many and they tend to go fast so, not wanting to end up in the chairs, as soon as the door opened, David and I made a bee-line for the booths to the left of the stage and snagged the big one.

Jon, Paula, Theresa, Joe, Christy and Larry soon joined us. The place was soon packed to the rafters by the time the TCM staff took the stage. Ben M handled the interviewing of the staff this year in a departure from Scott McGee. On the panel were Charlie Tabesh, Senior VP of Programming, Genevieve McGillicuddy, Director of Brand Activation and Festival Director, Jennifer Dorian, the new GM, Richard Steiner, Director of TCM Digital, Sean Cameron, director of studio production and Darcy Hettrich, Talent Coordinator for the channel and the Festival.

Given all the hoopla over the schedule, I knew one of the first questions would be about that and hoped Charlie came prepared. I must be clairvoyant because it was the first question out of the gate and to their credit, the woman who asked the question phrased in more polite terms than I was expecting.

Charlie, as always, came prepared. He started off by saying he was aware of the controversy and talked about how both the channel and the festival have always celebrated films of all decades.
“A great movie is a great movie regardless of when it was made” he explained.

He talked about the Out of Sight controversy and explained yet again that it was Anne Coates decision and he didn’t feel it would be right for him as the festival programmer to turn her choice down. Ben M then jumped in to trumpet his love of the film and basically told the audience that if they were avoiding the film because it was made in 1998, they were really missing out on a terrific film.

Genevieve also chimed in about how the schedule was a mix of both studio era films and post-studio era films. Darcy talked about the difficulties of getting actors from the studio era to come and talk and that those from the 1950-1970s were more likely to be able to travel and/or commit. Darcy had lined up Ann-Margaret who would introduce The Cincinnati Kid (and Ben M let it slip that he would be interviewing A-M in the lobby of the Roosevelt on Friday and that parts of that interview would air during A-M’s day during Summer Under the Stars this August), Sophia Loren was coming not only for the traditional “big” interview that TCM does each festival but also to introduce Marriage, Italian Style on the closing night. Shirley MacLaine was coming not only for what would turn into a rollicking Club TCM interview (more on that in Sunday’s recap) but also to introduce The Apartment and The Children’s Hour. Another big interview that fans of the channel will likely get to see is the one that actor Norman Lloyd, still going strong, did with Ben M at the Montalban Theater. Lloyd also introduced Reign of Terror, which Richard Steiner chimed in with being his favorite on the schedule.

Jennifer Dorian made a good debut, talked about her love of the Festival and of the channel and how fortunate she felt to have such a great crew surrounding her.

The other questions were also good and David, Jon and I agreed that after six years of Festival, more and more of those asking questions seemed to be returnees who didn’t retread what has been discussed in the past.

After the panel, Jon and I got together with Richard Steiner, his dad and Shannon Clute for our traditional drink at the Festival. We had a great time talking and Richard’s dad is always a delight to talk with. His dad was looking forward to the Trivia contest that was coming up and I suggested that he find David, whom I described as “the guy in the Indiana Jones hat” and be on his team!

After that drink, we hung out in the lobby and after the trivia contest Glenn Taranto (20th anniversary fan programmer) came over to apologize for missing dinner at Musso’s. We were delighted to see him and Jon and I made plans to meet Glenn at a Hollywood eatery in the near future.

We went to the Roose coffee shop, 25 Degrees, to get something to nosh on as we wouldn’t get a chance to eat a meal into later that night.

After having a light bite, we headed over the Chinese Multiplex to get in line for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Everyone here at the Oasis knows how much I adore this film and I was thrilled to see it finally on the schedule as part of the History According to John Ford tribute. Other films in that tribute would include They Were Expendable, Air Mail and My Darling Clementine.

We had to walk the long block down the boulevard to Highland and cross the street and then trek back to the Chinese due to the street being shut down for the Red Carpet for the opening night film, The Sound of Music. Liberty Valance was up not only against the hills being alive but also Queen Christina, Too Late for Tears (where David and Cinemaven were headed) and a poolside screening of Grease. I figured most festival goers were going to other screenings and didn’t expect a big crowd but I wanted a good seat.

We got good seats and Christy joined us a little later. Fate proved me wrong as people kept coming into the theater and by the time Scott McGee was ready to welcome us, the theater was almost full. Scott did a great introduction not only to the film but the presenter Keith Carradine. Carradine, seemed to be channeling is Buffalo Bill character from the Broadway production of Annie Get Your Gun as he took the stage. He said basically his speech would be short because he knew we were all there to see the film. He talked a bit about his father, wished us well and told us to enjoy the film. And then he was gone, the lights went down and the movie began. (I hope Carradine can return next year to introduce and talk about his father in depth).

It was a beautiful print and I totally loved seeing for the first time in about 35 years on the big screen again. Jon had never seen it on the big screen and really liked it. I cried in the usual spots I cry in (as did Christy).

This time I noticed how much Jimmy Stewart sounds like Major Cassius Starbuckle in the beginning of the film, especially when he is talking to the reporter and his editor.

As Jon noted after the film, the press hasn’t changed much since this film.

As for me, the other thing I really noticed this time was how emphatic Hallie’s response of “I did” is when Rance asks who put the cactus rose on Tom’s coffin. I’m not sure Rance had an easy time of winning his wife’s love back after the trip to Shinbone.

No matter what, Hallie always loved the man who shot Liberty Valance.

After the film, we were going to go to dinner but we had an early start in the morning and so we went home to eat and feed Mr. Bo.

Tomorrow, after all, was another day.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Thanks Lynn for sharing all this. :)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Oh, man, Lynn, you are killin' me!

Your account of the revelry and the people and films makes me ache with a desire to ride the rails out there someday to see all of you (and the movies too). If I could have attended, the screening of The Wind and the Lion would have been a must-see, as would the History according to John Ford lineup. I bet Air Mail shimmered on the big screen.

I can't wait to read more of your account and everyone else's. Thank you.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Pictures I forgot to post in Wednesday and Thursday's recaps:

The Roosevelt Lobby on Wednesday

Jon and Lynn

Larry, Sam and Alexa at Larry's Brigade dinner at Musso's and Frank's (Peggy Lee joined us late)

Christy has just said something to make Texas Theresa blush

Larry's Brigade at Musso and Frank's

Across the bar/dining room from us was Christoph Waltz! And Christy jostled character actor John Billingsley on his way out of the room!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Larry checks his messages under classic Hollywood photos courtesy of the Academy

Larry is ready for his close-up!

From left to right, Texas Theresa, Jon, David, Larry and Paula wait for the Meet TCM panel to begin

More recaps and photos to come!

Jon and Texas Theresa talk movies or something
Lynn in Lake Balboa

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Dateline- Hollywood,
Friday, March 27th

The dawn portended a hot day in the City of Angels. We were up early as in if we were going to work early. But no work for us today- we were up at the crack of dawn because of the first event of the day, the Dawn of Technicolor presentation. Everything I had read online and everyone I had talked to all said this was going to be a popular event. Having read the book that the presentation was based on, I knew we had to get there early so we would not get shut out.

The dog looked at us quizzically as if to ask, why are both leaving together? He then seemed to realize it might be a long day and we got the “you people suck” look.
Oh well, we had places to go and people to see! And the dog was right, it was going to be a long day.

Traffic was not great for rush hour on Friday morning but it could have been worse. As it was, no accidents, just distracted drivers. We made it to Hollywood and found parking at the lot across the street from the Egyptian.

We got in line and David joined us soon after. We talked about our excitement at seeing The Man Who Would Be King the next morning. He told us about the Too Late for Tears screening and we told him about Liberty Valance. We soon spotted Paula getting in the line of Spotlight passholders. Not long after that Texas Theresa joined her.

Texas Theresa- she always looks ready for close-up!

This year, they provided shade for Passholders lines. Luckily for us, it was still early morning and the sun was on the opposite side away from us. As we were talking, we noticed Larry getting in the Spotlight line. A quick text to Paula and Texas T to increase the number of seats we would need was in order. While we were waiting Alexa joined us.

By the way, the Festival App, at least on the Iphone 5s, was a thing of beauty this year. It allowed users to create easily create their own schedules so you knew where you were supposed to be with the tap of two buttons. It also allowed you to share with others. I hope they bring it back next year.

The theater opened and we were let in. We quickly found Paula, Texas Theresa and Larry and we had great seats. Christy wasn’t able to join us as she was covering Christopher Plummer’s handprint ceremony in the forecourt of Graumans but Theresa’s hubby, Joe, soon joined us.

The presentation by authors David Pierce and James Layton was wonderful. Concentrating on the early history of Technicolor, which is celebrating 100 years, they presented an array of clips mostly from the early sound musicals. Trying to perfect the two-color process, many of these films are either lost or only survive in black and white.

So it was quite thrilling to see these musical numbers as the audiences had over eighty five years ago. It was also the perfect way to see these films - if you ever sat through Hollywood Revue of 1929, you know how tedious some of those early musicals can be. Spotlighting the crazy musical numbers was certainly a better choice than an entire day of watching them.

Highlights included a “twin” number featuring famous twins including Loretta Young and sister, Polly Ann; Jeanette MacDonald and sister Blossom Dearie and others.

The Golddiggers of Broadway stills provided us a look at the Warner Brothers sound stage, the icebox where the camera was encased and the the massive lighting grid. All those lights were needed to get the film to expose properly. It often reached 160 degrees on the stage and I can tell you as someone who grew up in the west with our simmering summers, that is not some place I would wanted to have been. It also included a musical sequence set to Tip-toe Through the Tulips which many of us were very familiar with having come of age in the era of Tiny Tim.

The Sultan’s Jester was the most harrowing to watch as two male dancers literally threw their young female partner through the air throughout the entire sequence. We joked afterwards that she must have made them all promise not to drink the night before because one wrong move and she could have been seriously injured.

It was a delightful and informative presentation and made getting up so darned early well worth it.

After the presentation, it was time to gather the troops and go to lunch. A friend of ours had snagged an individual ticket for the presentation and we ran into him on the way out of the theater. He joined our brigade for lunch.

We trooped over to the California Pizza Kitchen at Hollywood and Highland. When we got there, it was not open yet, so we waited for about 15 minutes and when they opened the doors, we snagged the patio table.

Alexa and Larry talk numbers

David and Jon are just glad not to be in the sun

We had a delicious lunch and it was fun getting the chance to relax and talk without having to worry about the time.
After our leisurely lunch, most were going back to the Roosevelt to hang out. Jon was going to see Pinocchio for the first time on the big screen ever. He would have about 45 minutes before he had to get in line for a seat.

I was going to the Club TCM discussion on A Surreal Existence with panelists Tony Mendez (Argo), Mark Schultz (Foxcatcher) and Aron Ralston (127 Hours) so I had a little time.

I drove home (the thermometer in the car computer said it was 97 degrees outside) and let Mr. Bo out. He was confused as I had left with Jon and come back alone. It took some persuading but he finally went out and did his duty.

Back in the car and back to Hollywood. This time I parked at the Roosevelt. Walking into the lobby, it was nice and cool. I went over to the bar and found that guardian angels (Paula and Alexa) had intervened and stopped Christy from having a minor meltdown due to lack of food. She was in much better mood, nibbling on her lunch and writing about the Plummer ceremony. Leaving her in good hands I wandered into Club TCM to scope out for the upcoming panel. Rory Flynn was talking about growing up with her father, Errol Flynn. I found Larry sitting on one of the sofas. He was hoping to talk to Rory after the discussion.

I got a beer and listened to Ms. Flynn talk. She had quite a childhood from what I could gather coming into the discussion so late.

Luckily for me, when her discussion ended, people emptied the booths. I grabbed another beer (they were complimentary this year) and our corner booth, texted the usual suspects that I had the booth and would be in Club TCM for not only the upcoming discussion but the one that followed, Scott Eyman interviewing Peter Fonda about his father.

More to come!
Lynn in Lake Balboa