Gone With or Without fanfare

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Western Guy

Re: Gone With or Without fanfare

Post by Western Guy »

Yes, you're right, R.R. The Little Tramp is another who left us on Christmas Day.

I was very privileged to see one of Dean Martin's final shows at Bally's. He certainly was not the Dino of his years as a Rat Packer that played The Sands, but you still could not help but to feel a certain electricity. A true entertainer and apparently a man who never disappointed a fan. Even during his last sad years when he'd dine alone at La Familigia he was always cordial to his admirers and would never brush them away.

God bless him on the upcoming (almost twentieth year) anniversary of his passing. A true Class Act.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

his last sad years when he'd dine alone

Jerry Lewis said Dean never got over his son's tragic death.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Yes, and that's especially tragic since it appeared that Dean simply lost an interest in living after Dino was killed.

It is comforting to know, however, that he was with Jeanne when he passed.
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

This is so strange. I swear just this morning I got to thinking of the aged celebs who are still with us: Kirk Douglas, Olivia de Havilland - and who I figured was the oldest: Miss Rainer. And now to learn this, especially as the year draws to a close and another legendary name must be added to the list.

A sad-eyed beauty in her day, unforgettable as O-Lan, opposite Paul Muni (who, apparently, she did not much care for, as evidenced on her TCM appearance with Robert Osborne) in THE GOOD EARTH.

But God bless her, she had a long life.

RIP Miss Rainer.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Very sad. Edward Herrmann has died. As if we needed one more to go out on this year. A talented actor (and nice guy) who personified President FDR and also gave a memorable turn as baseball great Lou Gehrig. He also turned in one of the creepiest, most unsettling performances I can remember seeing in the Alfred Hitchcock Presents update -- in the episode The Mole.

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/20 ... at_71.html
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Being from Kentucky, I may be the only one affected by the death of Grand Ole Opry staple, Little Jimmy Dickens. I, myself, have had minimal exposure to this country music giant (4 ft. 11 in)! Known primarily for silly songs, the 94 year-old artist was playing at The Opry before I was even born. But my mother knew of him. In college, my roommate did some reading about country music history. He came to a certain passage and exclaimed, "Little Jimmy Dickens! My mother told me about him!" Maybe it's a mother thing.

"Take an Old Cold Tater and Wait" doesn't enjoy classic status. "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose" is not exactly poetry. But they earned enough air play to enter my young consciousness. And I suspect audiences at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium voiced their approval upon hearing the first notes played.

James Cecil Dickens died January 2nd.
Last edited by RedRiver on January 3rd, 2015, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Donna Douglas, the lovely actress who is probably best known for playing Elly May Clampett on The Beverly Hillbillies has died.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Donna Douglas died at an age of 81, I remember meeting her once in Los Angeles and she was giving a short talk about her television career and very frank about what she had to say. She was a very sweet lady, loves her fans on the Beverly Hillbillies and most importantly she is very friendly, lovable, and a kind woman that never, ever said a mean word to anyone that she greets.

I got her autograph back in 1972 and still have it. It was scribbled on a notepad paper that I had with me that day.
Last edited by Rita Hayworth on January 3rd, 2015, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Especially in The Twilight Zone."
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Fitting Tribute to Luise Rainer done by TCM - Moira!

I'm missed that a couple of times during my times watching TCM and I'm glad that you posted a video clip from You Tube.
Western Guy

Post by Western Guy »

Very sad news. The Time Traveler has left us. Rod Taylor RIP

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/rod-t ... 201396390/
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

My sweet Australian hunk Rod Taylor is gone..... :( :( :( :(

Now he really does have all the time in the world.

Happy Birthday in Eternity!
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Barb,

So sorry about the bad news this morning but now Rod will be up in the heavens always smiling down at you.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese