Mosfilm on YouTube

MikeBSG

Re: Mosfilm on YouTube

Post by MikeBSG »

Thanks for letting us know about this.

"Jolly Fellows" is a very popular musical of the Soviet jazz era.

"The Forty-First" is an adventure story set during the Russian Civil War (1919-21). It has terrific use of color and exotic scenery.

"Vasilisa the Beautiful" is a very well-done fairy tale movie. (With a very scary dragon.)

"The Cranes Are Flying" has been shown on TCM. It is a very famous film in Soviet history, taking a personal (as opposed to propagandistic) view of World War II. One of the key films of the "Thaw" era (1956-65).
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

"The Forty-First" is based on a rather famous novel (or novella.)

I really liked the 1957 "The Forty First." I guess that the silent version is even more highly regarded? At least that is the impression I've gotten from books. Have never seen the silent one available in the US though.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I think the silent "The Forty-First" was directed by Yakov Protazonov.

I really liked Protazonov's "Aelita," his science-fiction film from 1924. I've also seen his 1917 "Father Sergius," which was a little too stodgy for me, but "Aelita" was very dynamic and interesting.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I like "Irony of Fate." I would have liked it more if the songs were omitted, but it is an enjoyable film.

I really liked "Forgotten Tune for Flute," which Eldar Ryazanov made in the Eighties. That was a very funny film.

I think Ryazanov also made "A Cruel Romance" in the early '80s. It was a very good film, a 19th Century tragedy, if somewhat out of character (at least what I understand of Ryazanov's career. These are the only three films of his that I've seen.)

I'd love to see "Carnival Night."
Masha

Post by Masha »

I intend to repost links as my previous posts have disappeared.

I should post first instructions for having English subtitles for some of movies on YouTube:

The indicated icons are at bottom of video display:

Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Masha

Post by Masha »

Jolly Fellows (1934) is story of simple musician thrust into limelight. it is touching and whimsical and very funny.

[youtube][/youtube]
Masha

Post by Masha »

The Forty-First (1956) is classic story of two people with strong convictions meeting under unfortunate circumstances and falling in love. I find it quite touching. I applaud that the ending is true to her personality and absolutely necessary even although it is not typical happy ending.

[youtube][/youtube]
Masha

Post by Masha »

Two Army Comrades (1968) is very touching and very compelling story of disparate individuals thrown together in war who become friends despite their differences. It shows well how people serve higher cause while trying to simply do what is expected of them.

[youtube][/youtube]
Masha

Post by Masha »

The Golden Key (1939) is wonderful fantasy. It is combination of live-action and stop-motion-animation to tell story of innocent charm. It speaks to world where highest goals are to have wide rivers, all children go to school and elderly are respected and given good care.

[youtube][/youtube]
Masha

Post by Masha »

Formula of Love (1984) is wonderful romantic comedy. A boy in first bloom of hormones loves and desires deeply a woman who is personification of poise, beauty and refinement. The unfortunate aspect to their relationship is that she is a marble statue standing in the woods on his family estate. Enter Cagliostro who is fakir, occultist and all-around urbane, erudite and sophisticated flim-flam man with an offer to bring her to life.

I believe that the movie can be seen as double-play on myth of: Galatea. The boy loves a statue and wishes her brought to life. It is also that the woman whom Cagliostro will use in his deception ardently loves Cagliostro but he is as devoid of emotion as stone.

The movie is full of wonderful moments. One of my favorites is:
Lorentza: Love is divine.
Cagliostro: Common mistake. Fire also used to be divine until Prometheus stole it. Now we use it to boil water.

[youtube][/youtube]
English subtitles are available using settings is bar beneath image.