Ben Johnson

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
pvitari

Re: Ben Johnson

Post by pvitari »

Anyone here or near NYC? (Theresa? Wendy?)

Starting today, the Film Society of Lincoln Center is holding a Sam Peckinpah retrospective with screenings of all his feature films. The retrosopective lasts through April 7. The line-up of course includes four films with Ben: Major Dundee, The Wild Bunch, Junior Bonner and The Getaway. If only they'd also been able to include Peckinpah's TV drama Noon Wine. Go to the Film Society of Lincoln Center website for more information: https://www.filmlinc.org/press/bring-me ... 1-april-7/.

Jessica Kiang also has posted a substantial essay on Peckinpah's films at Indiewire: http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ ... h-20160331

mongoII

Post by mongoII »

Hi Paula, while I was watching an episode of Gunsmoke called "Quaker Girl" I noticed that Ben Johnson was in it and he played a mean SOB. No doubt that the actor was a jack of all trades.
Joseph Goodheart
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Dear Mongo, yup, he was a real mean SOB in that episode -- and all three of his Gunsmoke episodes. :) I made a bunch of screencaps from an "unofficial copy" of "Quaker Girl" (it hasn't been released on DVD yet) but I'm going to have to look for them. I just checked my fanpage and they're not posted there. Hmmmm. Ben gets to do some roping in "Quaker Girl." The entire guest cast is wonderful -- William Shatner, Timothy Carey and Tom Reese. IMDB says that Danny Borzage (Frank's brother) also had an uncredited role as a "Quaker."

Meanwhile, a syndicated newspaper column dated March 31, 1985, by James Coates of the Chicago Tribune, about the ProRodeo Hall of Champions in Colorado Springs. The article mentions some items that Ben donated to the Hall, although the 1922 loving cup must have been won by his father, as Ben was only four years old that year.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I should have posted this on Friday but it's the busiest time of the year for me and some things have to slip. ;( But here it is, finally.

The 20th anniversary of Ben's death was this past Friday, April 8. Here are some pages from the August 1996 issue of American Cowboy, including a tribute ad from Roper and a poem about Ben by Ted Newman and Marshall Trimble.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

On the set of The Wild Bunch.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

This is a double fold-out of pics from Ben's movies, from a Japanese magazine called Cine Study, dated November 11, 1972. The pages are too long to scan -- I had to take photos. :)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Well, it's off to the TCM festival. Can't wait for She Wore a Yellow Ribbon on Sunday!

Ben's 1977 western Grayeagle (directed by Charles B. Pierce, who also directed The Town That Dreaded Sundown), is now out on Blu-ray on a double disc with another western directed by Pierce, Winterhawk. This is a new transfer derived from elements in the MGM vault and it is a big improvement over the old DVD. Here are a few screencaps from the Grayeagle Blu-ray. You can find more on the BJ Fanpage, here: https://benjohnsonfanpage.shutterfly.com/movies/66768

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Back from the TCM fest! ;)

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon looks gorgeous in the new transfer. WAC has not made an official announcement yet but it will be coming out on Blu-ray. Keith Carradine introduced and he said that Ben was the best horseman in Hollywood, and mentioned the scene where Ben rides his horse down the hill into the herd of bison. Ben looks back as he begins his ride and Keith stated that making sure everyone knew it was you doing the riding was the mark of a real actor. :)

So here's Keith at SWAYR:

And in other news, Dillinger is now out on Blu-ray (the set includes a DVD, too). It's a new transfer from a 2K scan of original elements and it looks very nice. There are a whole bunch of extras (commentary, interviews) that I haven't had time to go through yet. Here are three frame grabs I lifted from Blu-ray.com. ;)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Here's a third picture from the Laramie episode "Hour After Dawn."

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I just got back from a trip to Ben's home town, Pawhuska, and while there I learned they're working on the "Ben Johnson Memorial Project," a large bronze statue from a design by the late sculptor John D. Free. You can visit the work in progress, which of course I did. I'll be posting pics to the Fanpage soon. Meanwhile, here is a poster and a brochure with information about the project. They're hoping to unveil the completed statue next year.

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

In case anyone wants to see photos from my Oklahoma trip, here is the link: https://benjohnsonfanpage.shutterfly.co ... allery/940

Also, posted today: 13 new prints from slides, of Ben with Willie Nelson at the Sixth Annual Golden Boot Awards, held August 19, 1988. Here are five of the prints. You can see all 13 (and download big versions from) here: https://benjohnsonfanpage.shutterfly.co ... llery/1253

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

I really like this publicity still from Grayeagle. ;)

pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Happy 98th birthday to Ben Johnson! Here's a repost of a picture of Ben during the filming of Wild Stallion, and a picture of his parents.

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Happy birthday, Ben! :)
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Happy Father's Day! Today we celebrate Ben Johnson, Sr.

Yesterday Osage County held the 63rd annual Ben Johnson (Sr.) Memorial Steer Roping.

And today's post is from Osage County Profiles, a large, heavy leather-bound volume published by the Osage County Historical Society. The book contains profiles of the prominent families and citizens of Osage County as well as articles on the towns and other features of the county (schools, railroads, the Indian tribes, memorable historical incidents, etc.) and tributes to family members contributed by citizens of the county. The book is a treasure trove of historical information and photographs and surely invaluable to anyone researching Osage County. It has a short biography of Ben, Sr., as well as his children, and two poems about Ben, Sr. contributed by two of his children, Helen Johnson Christenson and Ben Johnson, Jr.