Eegah (1962)

MovieCollectorOH

Re: Eegah (1962)

Post by MovieCollectorOH »

scsu1975 wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 6:16 pm
MovieCollectorOH wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 6:10 pm I liked Eegah. Pretty good for a "bad movie". There are some others the Arch Hall Jr/Sr team made. Out of those I'd mention a couple others I've seen - The Choppers and Wild Guitar - as at least in my notes I found them more or less on par with Eegah back when I saw them.
Haven't see Wild Guitar, but I did see The Choppers and it's so-so. Hall's best film is probably The Sadist; he plays a really repulsive character in that and does a great job.
I haven't seen The Sadist but the previews seem to show a very different side of Arch Hall Jr. :)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The Choppers and Wild Guitar are both decidedly better than Eegah. Such is evident due to the lobby card of the former and one-sheet of the later hanging in our home. Plus, Bruno Ve Sota appears in The Choppers and Ray Dennis Steckler directs and appears in Wild Guitar.

Those, however, are kicked to the curbside by The Sadist, an honest-to-goodness masterpiece. Not only does Arch Hall Jr. show that, yes, Virginia, he can act, the cinematography by Vilmos Zsigmond, in his U.S. debut as DP, is phenomenal. Not to be missed!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

ChiO wrote: December 23rd, 2022, 7:57 pm The Choppers and Wild Guitar are both decidedly better than Eegah.

Those, however, are kicked to the curbside by The Sadist, an honest-to-goodness masterpiece. Not only does Arch Hall Jr. show that, yes, Virginia, he can act, the cinematography by Vilmos Zsigmond, in his U.S. debut as DP, is phenomenal. Not to be missed!
The Choppers features Arch singing "Monkeys in my hatband," which is enough to sink anyone's career. And in one of the unintentionally hilarious scenes, Arch is driving a poultry truck when he encounters the cops and yells "hang on, we're gonna play chicken."

As for The Sadist, I definitely agree with your assessment!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Then there's The Last Time I Saw Archie (Jack Webb 1961) wherein Robert Mitchum portrays Arch Hall Sr. Even though it has an interesting cast - from Mitchum to Don Knotts, from Martha Hyer to Harvey Lembeck, with a screenplay by William Bowers - it never grabs me.

I'll stick with Arch Hall Jr.
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Thank you, kingrat. Good to be home.