Mother Riley Meets the Vampire (1952)

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
Masha

Post by Masha »

I love British humour in general and have a soft spot in my heart for British slapstick. Old Mother Riley, Headmistress (1950) has long been one of my guilty pleasures.

I remember watching this movie long ago and not being favorably impressed. I attributed that to my mood as it has all of the elements of the other "Old Mother Riley" movies which I like.

Watching it now also leaves me a little cold. The story makes as much sense as any other movie in its lineage. Bela Lugosi's performance was quite wonderfully his trademark "this would be ridiculously over the top if any other actor attempted it" style.

It is almost as if they know the jokes and action have been overdone in the other movies and have to overdo them to a greater extent in order to stand out. There is no originality at any level in any of it. There is no brisk "at least we are having fun" attitude among the actors. There is no signature joke or scene which the audience can take away with a smile in their heart.

I am sad to say that it falls flat to me.

4.8/11

This movie can be watched for free with commercials on: TubiTV
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
EP Millstone

Re: Mother Riley Meets the Vampire (1952)

Post by EP Millstone »

. . . also known as Vampire Over London and My Son the Vampire. The latter title was crooned by comedic singer Allan Sherman, when the movie was released in America, seven years after Bela Lugosi's death.

According to the Internet Movie Database, this "comedy" was the finale for the "Old Mother Riley" series and also the only entry in the series to not have "Old Mother Riley" in its title.

Director John Gilling went on to bigger and better things, later helming several superior Hammer Film horrors. The impressive cast includes the delightful Richard Wattis whose presence always enhanced any movie in which he was cast; Hattie Jacques, several years away from becoming a mainstay in the long-running Carry On comedies; Dora Bryan, later unforgettable in A Taste of Honey; Dandy Nichols, who achieved stardom as "Else Garnett" in the British TV series Till Death Us Do Part (translated for America as All in the Family), and durable and reliable supporting players Charles Lloyd-Pack, John Le Mesurier (spouse of Hattie Jacques), and Laurence Naismith.

Thus, a Hollywood icon, dependable journeyman director, and distinguished supporting cast all in service to a naff script that (pun intended) sucked.

"According to producer Richard Gordon, Bela Lugosi had been on a tour of England in Dracula, when the production abruptly ended because the producers declared bankruptcy and absconded without paying anyone. Lugosi found himself stranded in London, with no money and no way to get back to the US. Gordon, a friend of Lugosi's who was based in England, heard about his plight and arranged for him to appear in this, the latest--and, as it turned out, the last--in the 'Old Mother Riley' series of comedies, for which he was paid $5,000." -- Internet Movie Database

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
scsu1975

Post by scsu1975 »

Masha wrote: December 24th, 2022, 6:01 pm Mother Riley Meets the Vampire (1952)

At least you got through it. I tried watching this years ago and shut it off once the guy in drag as the old bag started singing/dancing.
laffite

Post by laffite »

I am happy to report that I will not, nor have I ever, got through any vampire movie. I just don't get the appeal. Nor any horror movie either. I could be worse. Forty years ago I knew a very smart guy who read nothing but non-fiction. He said, "What the devil to read fiction! It's not even real." I hope I never get that bad. I believe our local pollster, the encyclopedic Mr Millstone said something along these lines. A perfectly legitimate point of view. I quarrel not. Not as jot. Not a jot. I shan't quarrel with those who like vampire movies and horror movie either. I shan't I shan't. Yet oh but yuck!

;-)
Catherine Deneuve in The Murri Affaire
Masha

Post by Masha »

scsu1975 wrote: December 24th, 2022, 8:42 pm
Masha wrote: December 24th, 2022, 6:01 pm Mother Riley Meets the Vampire (1952)

At least you got through it. I tried watching this years ago and shut it off once the guy in drag as the old bag started singing/dancing.
That is definitely a point where bailing seems like a good option. I am sorry to say that it does not become much better after that.
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: December 24th, 2022, 9:30 pm I am happy to report that I will not, nor have I ever, got through any vampire movie. I just don't get the appeal. Nor any horror movie either. I could be worse. Forty years ago I knew a very smart guy who read nothing but non-fiction. He said, "What the devil to read fiction! It's not even real." I hope I never get that bad. I believe our local pollster, the encyclopedic Mr Millstone said something along these lines. A perfectly legitimate point of view. I quarrel not. Not as jot. Not a jot. I shan't quarrel with those who like vampire movies and horror movie either. I shan't I shan't. Yet oh but yuck!

;-)
'Vampire' in this case is the name adopted by a mad scientist who has created a robot to help him take over the world.

It makes as much sense as any of the other things in the movie.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: December 24th, 2022, 9:30 pm I am happy to report that I will not, nor have I ever, got through any vampire movie. I just don't get the appeal. Nor any horror movie either.
Yes, and we're all happy that you shared that with us.

To those who love vampire movies, no explanation is necessary. To those who do not, no explanation is possible.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
laffite

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: December 25th, 2022, 12:59 am
laffite wrote: December 24th, 2022, 9:30 pm I am happy to report that I will not, nor have I ever, got through any vampire movie. I just don't get the appeal. Nor any horror movie either.
Yes, and we're all happy that you shared that with us.

To those who love vampire movies, no explanation is necessary. To those who do not, no explanation is possible.
And you do epigrams too! And quite a good one. We who don't like vampire movies thank you. And agree with you.. No explanation is possible because it is self-explanatory.

:smiley_cheers:
Catherine Deneuve in The Murri Affaire