The Avengers (1961-1969)

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Masha

The Avengers (1961-1969)

Post by Masha »

I have long held a special affection for this series as it was the first British series which was available to me regularly with some degree of continuity.

I am sorry to say that it has been quite neglected of late as it jumps from one streaming service to some other with gaps and missing episodes.

It has reappeared now on: Amazon Prime Video. Season One is missing. Seasons Two through Six are seeming available with Seasons Five and Six available two ways: watching free because of subscription or renting each episode. Such rentals are available only to subscribers. My mind can at times work out amazingly twisty things but why a person would pay for a thing which is available free eludes any logic which I know.

I am being nostalgic by watching them in order from Episode One of Season Two. The Honor Blackman as Catherine Gale seasons are rather serious and straightforward. I believe that I like them so much because they exhibit a certain naïve view of the world.

I have found a listing which shows that two seasons are on: PlutoTV also but I have not investigated those because the on-demand offerings there often have an inordinate number of commercials.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
EP Millstone

Re: The Avengers (1961-1969)

Post by EP Millstone »

I've got many of episodes of the Honor Blackman and Diana Rigg eras of The Avengers on VHS and DVDs. I'm keen on seeing the first season of The Avengers with Ian Hendry.

According to Hendry, Patrick McNee "came into the series as my sidekick. For a long while, no one was sure if he was a goodie or a baddie. And, to be quite honest, neither did we."
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields