MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

laffite wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:00 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 3:42 pm "Edited 10 times in total" laffite, I never did!

That's customary. I have about that many personalities. O heck, I lied. I am trying to make myself sound interesting. I have only one personality and it's a flop.
laffite, do not ever use that four letter word about yourself, lol. ("flop") There is only one description as far as I'm concerned which is "gentleman".
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

LiamCasey wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:01 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 3:17 pm I remember Babs getting hysterical when frightening things start happening to her in THE NIGHT WALKER (co-starring ex-hubby Robert Taylor) so I'm sure there were many screams.
In my opinion, her screams in that one left a bit to be desired.
Hi, Liam. I'll have to check that movie out if it's ever aired. Haven't seen the thing in quite some time.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 3:17 pm Hello dere, laffite.

I remember Babs getting hysterical when frightening things start happening to her in THE NIGHT WALKER (co-starring ex-hubby Robert Taylor) so I'm sure there were many screams. However, my wonky memory fails to remember other roles where she had to exercise that particular lung power. Can you come to the assistance of this poor brain?

Mary Astor, another of my favorite actresses (and quite adept at sinister roles with a lady-like edge)
OMG, really? I fear your "wonky memory" might be better than my regular one. Note to myself made many moons ago that Barbara "must have had" a whole interval in her career where the use of this ability was exploited to good use with blood curdling effect. I wonder if anyone feels that I don't know what I'm talking about. It was no other than Barbara, no confusion there. Probably only one or a few times, memorable to me. I am not particularly fond of blood curdling screams which might help to explain my anathema for Horror movies. Haha.
Catherine Deneuve in The Murri Affaire
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hopefully someone will come to our rescue, laffite, and give us some Missy Screams titles....
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I realize I am picky -- Lloyd Nolan's laugh, Humphrey Bogart's hands, John Garfield's ears.....

They are all wonderful actors nevertheless.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:18 pm Hopefully someone will come to our rescue, laffite, and give us some Missy Screams titles....
I hope so too, truly. I will consult her filmography and maybe the Goddess of Memory will bless me. Whatever the case may be, one thing I can assure you, she was a mighty "vocalist"
... in this vein, anyway.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Go to it, laffite, the game's afoot!
Andree

Post by Andree »

Uncle Joe Stalin also had one arm that was shorter than the other. Anybody ever see a photo of Uncle Joe and
Bing Crosby together? Just sayin'.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 12:02 pm Barbara Stanwyck can do anything . . .
Oh, really?

Meh, I can't get excited about Barbara Stanwyck, who I question could have done anything.

I mean, like -- for instance, as examples, just for the sake of argument, y'unnerstan' -- could Babs have played . . .

The Bride of Frankenstein?
Tarzan's mate Jane?
Dorothy Gale?
Sheena, Queen of the Jungle; Batgirl; or Wonder Woman?
Edith Bunker?
Foxy Brown?
The 50 Ft Woman?

I think not.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:38 pm Uncle Joe Stalin also had one arm that was shorter than the other. Anybody ever see a photo of Uncle Joe and
Bing Crosby together? Just sayin'.
Welcome Andree!

LOL, that would make a very interesting Road movie.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Ruminate on the following: Who was the better obsessive female nutjob -- Jessica Walters in PLAY MISTY FOR ME or Glenn Close in FATAL ATTRACTION?
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

EP Millstone wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:41 pm
laffite wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 12:02 pm Barbara Stanwyck can do anything . . .
Tarzan's mate Jane?
I am currently visualizing Barbara Stanwyck as Jane. And, specifically, as Jane in Tarzan and His Mate (1934). I think "Yes!" in that particular case.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Oh, really?

Meh, I can't get excited about Barbara Stanwyck, who I question could have done anything.

I mean, like -- for instance, as examples, just for the sake of argument, y'unnerstan' -- could Babs have played . . .

The Bride of Frankenstein?
Tarzan's mate Jane?
Dorothy Gale?
Sheena, Queen of the Jungle; Batgirl; or Wonder Woman?
Edith Bunker?
Foxy Brown?
The 50 Ft Woman?

I think not.
And I would agree. Simple Figure of Speech. "Anything" is certainly not be taken literally in some colloquial expressions.
Last edited by laffite on January 23rd, 2023, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I guess this is where I should chime in and say that thing that used to get me into a little trouble with her fanatical fans on the TCM board: I'm not a big fan of Barbara Stanwyck. I don't think she's a great actress, though I love and enjoy many of her films.

I wish Katharine Hepburn could have played the lead in The Lady Eve!

But don't tell anyone I said this, this must remain our secret, "Silence to the grave, and even beyond!"
laffite

Post by laffite »

LiamCasey wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 4:55 pm
Tarzan's mate Jane?
I am currently visualizing Barbara Stanwyck as Jane. And, specifically, as Jane in Tarzan and His Mate (1934). I think "Yes!" in that particular case.
I get that! Overlook the sentimental endearment, but she would be cute. Barbara swinging on a Branch. I can just hear her jungle scream. Move over, Brenda Joyce.
Last edited by laffite on January 23rd, 2023, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.