Noir Alley

Thompson

Re: Noir Alley

Post by Thompson »

laffite wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 2:52 pm Well THE TWO MRS CARROLLS was not bad. I am a middling Bogart fan, and I thought this was some of his best work. He was playing against type and therefore actually had to act. He was quite right for the role, especially because he could escape the usual persona, his iconic self. The critics were probably paid to pan him to appease the adoring fans who want to see type over and over again. It was nice to see some angst, like a real person. It was a cop out to make him seem so deranged so that choir could say, "See, he's not a bad guy, he's just sick." They did the same with In a Lonely Place. He really was deranged there too but instead of holding him responsible for his mistreadings most fans think that because it was Bogie he was victimized by Laurel which was a lot fat hooey. It is nice to see Barbara as a sweet girl. The little girl was hopelessly precocious but it somehow worked. It was necessary to have her that way and giving her just enough naivete so there were no real questions asked when Barbie was getting scared. The housekeeper was overdone. The ending also but what's new, that Hollywood. The doctor was annoying. I'm sorry not to have seen made "The Next Mrs Carroll," where Bogart escapes and meets Alexis Smith down in Rio, complete with paint and easel and a fine store of milk in the fridge.
Not to be a weirdo or nothin’ but you’ve got a great way with words, Laffite. I enjoy your posts very much.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: January 23rd, 2023, 1:43 pm
laffite wrote: January 22nd, 2023, 2:52 pm Well THE TWO MRS CARROLLS was not bad. I am a middling Bogart fan, and I thought this was some of his best work. He was playing against type and therefore actually had to act. He was quite right for the role, especially because he could escape the usual persona, his iconic self. The critics were probably paid to pan him to appease the adoring fans who want to see type over and over again. It was nice to see some angst, like a real person. It was a cop out to make him seem so deranged so that choir could say, "See, he's not a bad guy, he's just sick." They did the same with In a Lonely Place. He really was deranged there too but instead of holding him responsible for his mistreadings most fans think that because it was Bogie he was victimized by Laurel which was a lot fat hooey. It is nice to see Barbara as a sweet girl. The little girl was hopelessly precocious but it somehow worked. It was necessary to have her that way and giving her just enough naivete so there were no real questions asked when Barbie was getting scared. The housekeeper was overdone. The ending also but what's new, that Hollywood. The doctor was annoying. I'm sorry not to have seen made "The Next Mrs Carroll," where Bogart escapes and meets Alexis Smith down in Rio, complete with paint and easel and a fine store of milk in the fridge.
Not to be a weirdo or nothin’ but you’ve got a great way with words, Laffite. I enjoy your posts very much.
Gosh, thanks. A super-cool and kind thing to say, Thompson. I am fairly brimming with appreciation.

:smiley_snoopy: Don't let it go to your head. You're still an idiot!

Got it.

:(
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Still an idiot, I hear ya. But I ain’t gonna be an idiot for long. I’m joining up with Erica Jong. I’ve got that big fear of flying too.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

You know of course, everybody does, that’s why Bob didn’t go to Oslo. No, he sent poor Patti Smith and expected her to remember all those lyrics to that song she had to sing, what was it?, Hard Rain is Gonna Fall.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Fear of Flying, it’s a real thing.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson, friend : it's not YOU who be the idiot, it's ME. The damn dog was talking about me, not you. I blame the dog. Damn dog.

A long time ago I read a novel by Erica Jong. A list of her novels yields no positive identification. It might be Fanny. It took place in the time of Alexander Pope, the little runt actually appears in the story. I don't remember much except that it was a grand adventure with all sorts of disturbing events. But it was excellent all the same despite everything.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

The Two Mrs. Carrolls was worse then I remembered it being (particularly the over the top ending! Bogie was SO BAD!). I wasn't bothering to watch it too closely (reading a book at the same time) as I'd seen it before years ago and didn't like it). Wonder why with most of the cast being American, they just didn't relocate the story to anywhere USA as the locale didn't make much of a difference to the story, and not like it was shot on location anyway.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Hibi wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:12 pm The Two Mrs. Carrolls was worse then I remembered it being (particularly the over the top ending! Bogie was SO BAD!). I wasn't bothering to watch it too closely (reading a book at the same time) as I'd seen it before years ago and didn't like it). Wonder why with most of the cast being American, they just didn't relocate the story to anywhere USA as the locale didn't make much of a difference to the story, and not like it was shot on location anyway.
Good point about the location. Us American also grow roses and go to horse races!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: January 24th, 2023, 1:38 pm
Hibi wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:12 pm The Two Mrs. Carrolls was worse then I remembered it being (particularly the over the top ending! Bogie was SO BAD!). I wasn't bothering to watch it too closely (reading a book at the same time) as I'd seen it before years ago and didn't like it). Wonder why with most of the cast being American, they just didn't relocate the story to anywhere USA as the locale didn't make much of a difference to the story, and not like it was shot on location anyway.
Good point about the location. Us American also grow roses and go to horse races!

Yeah! LOL. I grow roses.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Why was Bogart "SO BAD.' I'm not capping on you, just curious. I had not seen it before and knew nothing about it. It was not hard to follow the development of his character, from murderer to derangement. What was so bad from your point of view? Just a few words would be fine. Thanks.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I thought he was just too over the top in the finale. I didn't mean overall in the part. He wasn't helped by the script that has him crashing through the window.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Hibi wrote: January 25th, 2023, 9:39 am I thought he was just too over the top in the finale. I didn't mean overall in the part. He wasn't helped by the script that has him crashing through the window.
Now that you mention it, I loved that window scene [from the Two Miss Carrolls] In the sense that it seems on loan from the Horror Department, not quite right in the context. I am hopelessly deficient in all things Vampire-ish (though i like vamps) but isn't that something that a vampire would do, or some other grossly repellent creature of the night? Now I'll have to back and look at that scene (DVR). LOL

Oh good, I felt that he was all right, overall as you say. and I am probably a little surprised that the movie is so disliked. Maybe one needs a degree in Bogey Studies or better yet Bogie for Dummies to evaluate his faults. The latter would be good for me.

Thanks, Hibi.

//
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LOL.
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

laffite wrote: January 25th, 2023, 1:57 pm . . . I am hopelessly deficient in all things Vampire-ish (though i like vamps) . . .
Shhhh! Not so loud! The neighbors might hear.

Yo, laffite, you might find it interesting to know that Bogie had experience playing a vampire.

"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Yes, that movie creeped me out as a kid!