Like Button

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
Swithin

Re: Like Button

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 8:00 pm
Swithin wrote: February 18th, 2023, 6:47 pm
I'm jealous. Or envious. I have seen virtually nothing comparison. When in New York I saw Death of a Salesman with Dustin Hoffman in the title role and John Malkovich as Biff. And Joe Mantegna in that play that he is famous for, what is it? ... Modern author? 1985. I cannot recall enough information to search with.

I think you said recently that you were not particularly or at all a fan of Annette Bening, and I may mentioned this before. In The Seagull (2018) she played Irina Arkadina and she has a scene where she has to convince her much younger lover to abandon the idea of leaving her for young Nina. I count this as one of the most difficult scenes I know. Most actresses resort to the stereotypical pleading and begging, thus diminishing herself. Bening maintains her dignity and actually PERSUADES Trigorin to stay with her without incurring suspension of belief. Great job.

Anyway, Swithin ; I envy your great opportunities, bouncing across and pond and then bouncing back to NYC. Always glad to hear of your experiences.

I console myself for living more vicariously, profiting from the Net for advantages in what it has to offer.
I don't know much about Annette Bening. I should see that Seagull film. I know Bening did All My Sons on B'way. I saw it in London with Sally Field and Bill Pullman, at The Old Vic. I saw that Death of a Salesman with Hoffman. More recently, I saw an all-Black Death of a Salesman in London with Wendell Pierce and the great Sharon D. Clarke (it came to NY).

I know The Seagull well and have seen it several times. I've also worked on scenes from it, with actors. (I'm not an actor). One of the truly great tragic scenes is the final heartbreaking scene between Nina and Konstantin Treplev. That play to me is about older people destroying the lives of the young: Arkadina destroying her son; Trigorin destroying Nina. Here are the Treplev and Nina of that last full production that I saw, in 2016 at the National Theatre in London (Anna Chancellor was the Arkadina of that production):

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I agree with Masha.
I think it was laffite who said things work fine if you use the preview feature to make sure the post is correct.
I appreciate all the people who make this forum possible.
No one receives compensation and someone is paying the fees so we don't have to see ads.
This forum is as good as any to replace the one from TCM.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: February 18th, 2023, 8:26 pm
laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 2:29 pm
i previewed this post and it seems to be connected to a prior post of mine rather than it's proper place at the very end. I have not tampered with all the prior posts. Tis a puzzlement.

I believe that the most common problem is that there can be several empty lines between the end of the quoted text and the: '/quote' in brackets which actually closes the text. Typing into that empty space makes it look as if your entry is part of what you quoted. You must ensure that you are outside the nest.
What was happening in this case is different. I go all the way to bottom "quote" and write the post. It ends not in the box I am quoting, rather it appears in the box of a previous post by myself. It is in a yellow area, not the blue.
Catherine Deneuve in The Murri Affaire
Masha

Post by Masha »

laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 9:53 pm
laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 2:29 pm
i previewed this post and it seems to be connected to a prior post of mine rather than it's proper place at the very end. I have not tampered with all the prior posts. Tis a puzzlement.

I believe that the most common problem is that there can be several empty lines between the end of the quoted text and the: '/quote' in brackets which actually closes the text. Typing into that empty space makes it look as if your entry is part of what you quoted. You must ensure that you are outside the nest.
What was happening in this case is different. I go all the way to bottom "quote" and write the post. It ends not in the box I am quoting, rather it appears in the box of a previous post by myself. It is in a yellow area, not the blue.
I believe in this case that we must fall back to the old adage: "To Err is Human. To Really Foul Things Up Requires a Computer".

Do you have any experience debugging code? It is often necessary to carefully match parenthesis and brackets to ensure that there is an even number so that the module/function is closed. The case here is that there must be a matching '/quote' for every 'quote'. It is not one of the more fun aspects of coding but it must be done if there are not to be random untraceable errors.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: February 18th, 2023, 8:49 pm
Swithin wrote: February 18th, 2023, 6:47 pm
I'm jealous. Or envious. I have seen virtually nothing comparison. When in New York I saw Death of a Salesman with Dustin Hoffman in the title role and John Malkovich as Biff. And Joe Mantegna in that play that he is famous for, what is it? ... Modern author? 1985. I cannot recall enough information to search with.

I think you said recently that you were not particularly or at all a fan of Annette Bening, and I may mentioned this before. In The Seagull (2018) she played Irina Arkadina and she has a scene where she has to convince her much younger lover to abandon the idea of leaving her for young Nina. I count this as one of the most difficult scenes I know. Most actresses resort to the stereotypical pleading and begging, thus diminishing herself. Bening maintains her dignity and actually PERSUADES Trigorin to stay with her without incurring suspension of belief. Great job.

Anyway, Swithin ; I envy your great opportunities, bouncing across and pond and then bouncing back to NYC. Always glad to hear of your experiences.

I console myself for living more vicariously, profiting from the Net for advantages in what it has to offer.
I don't know much about Annette Bening. I should see that Seagull film. I know Bening did All My Sons on B'way. I saw it in London with Sally Field and Bill Pullman, at The Old Vic. I saw that Death of a Salesman with Hoffman. More recently, I saw an all-Black Death of a Salesman in London with Wendell Pierce and the great Sharon D. Clarke (it came to NY).

I know The Seagull well and have seen it several times. I've also worked on scenes from it, with actors. (I'm not an actor). One of the truly great tragic scenes is the final heartbreaking scene between Nina and Konstantin Treplev. That play to me is about older people destroying the lives of the young: Arkadina destroying her son; Trigorin destroying Nina. Here are the Treplev and Nina of that last full production that I saw, in 2016 at the National Theatre in London (Anna Chancellor was the Arkadina of that production):

I hope you DO see it. Saoirse Ronan as Nina. Elizabeth Moss as Masha (excellent!) and Brian Dehenny as Zorin.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Masha wrote: February 18th, 2023, 10:08 pm
laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 9:53 pm

I believe in this case that we must fall back to the old adage: "To Err is Human. To Really Foul Things Up Requires a Computer".

Do you have any experience debugging code? It is often necessary to carefully match parenthesis and brackets to ensure that there is an even number so that the module/function is closed. The case here is that there must be a matching '/quote' for every 'quote'. It is not one of the more fun aspects of coding but it must be done if there are not to be random untraceable errors.
Thanks. I'll see if I can understand it better.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: February 18th, 2023, 6:47 pm Here is a list of the plays I've seen Judi Dench in, not in any particular order:

The Gay Lord Quex (Pinero; Directed by John Gielgud) with Daniel Massey and Sian Phillips
Pillars of the Community (Ibsen) with Ian McKellen
Comedy of Errors (musical)
The Boys from Syracuse (as Director)
The Cherry Orchard
The Seagull
Amy's View (David Hare)
Gift of the Gorgon (Peter Shaffer)
The Winter's Tale (as Paulina)
A Little Night Music (as Desiree)
Absolute Hell (Ackland)
Hamlet (as Gertrude) with Daniel Day-Lewis
Semi-Monde (Noel Coward. Benefit performance that everyone was in, including her husband, daughter, and dog).
Antony and Cleopatra (Cleopatra) with Anthony Hopkins
I'm jealous. Or envious. I have seen virtually nothing comparison. When in New York I saw Death of a Salesman with Dustin Hoffman in the title role and John Malkovich as Biff.
Back when the mainline networks still occasionally broadcast quality stuff, CBS aired the videotaped production of this version of Death of a Salesman. It was taped in a studio with the principal Broadway cast rather than simply taped on stage. I remember watching it on its original airing and again years later. Thankfully this was preserved; it gave those of us in the hinterlands a chance to see it. It also starred the underappreciated Kate Reid.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: February 18th, 2023, 7:02 pm
laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 6:20 pm ...Today's theme for me today seems to be Chekhov.
Well in that case here laffite, I have always wondered where this guys falls in the Enterprise's Chain of Command.

And so how about answer to this before midnight strikes and you then have a new theme for tomorrow?

(...oh wait...never mind...different guy here, huh) ;)
Quite. I doubt a member of that crew qould write his way out of a paper bag.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Okay, silly question:
The FAQs has this to say:

How do I create a new topic or post a reply?
To post a new topic in a forum, click "New Topic".

I've elected to post here, since the thread is pretty active.

I found a spot on the forum that lets you see your likes:
app.php/thankslist?tslash=

I suppose some people might be curious. For me, receiving a like from Sue Sue Applegate is very nice.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 10:15 pm
I hope you DO see it. Saoirse Ronan as Nina. Elizabeth Moss as Masha (excellent!) and Brian Dehenny as Zorin.
I see there's a 1968 film as well, with a star-studded cast including Simone Signoret, James Mason, Vanessa Redgrave, and David Warner.

EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jimimac71 wrote: February 19th, 2023, 1:13 pm Okay, silly question:

jimimac,

To create a new topic:
  1. Select a category in the Board Index such as Action and Adventure, Movies and Features on TCM, Classic Film on DVD, General Chat, or Site Talk (where this topic, "Like Button," resides).
  2. In the category, click New Topic.
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." -- W.C. Fields
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

jimimac71 wrote: February 19th, 2023, 1:13 pm I found a spot on the forum that lets you see your likes:
And Dargo is in the lead!
Followed by Lomm!
Close behind: Swithin!

Yes, what some naysayers feared has come to pass:

It's a Popularity Contest, Folks!

We're havin' some fun now!
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

EP Millstone wrote: February 19th, 2023, 2:43 pm
jimimac71 wrote: February 19th, 2023, 1:13 pm I found a spot on the forum that lets you see your likes:
And Dargo is in the lead!
Followed by Lomm!
Close behind: Swithin!

Yes, what some naysayers feared has come to pass:

It's a Popularity Contest, Folks!

We're havin' some fun now!
EP, you're a troublemaker!

:lol:
EP Millstone

Post by EP Millstone »

Swithin wrote: February 19th, 2023, 2:48 pm EP, you're a troublemaker!
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

EP Millstone wrote: February 19th, 2023, 2:34 pm
jimimac71 wrote: February 19th, 2023, 1:13 pm Okay, silly question:

jimimac,

To create a new topic:
  1. Select a category in the Board Index such as Action and Adventure, Movies and Features on TCM, Classic Film on DVD, General Chat, or Site Talk (where this topic, "Like Button," resides).
  2. In the category, click New Topic.
Found it. Seems only to be in specific levels.
TX