Like Button

Rule discussion, feature requests, what have you.
laffite

Re: Like Button

Post by laffite »

EP Millstone wrote: February 19th, 2023, 2:43 pm
jimimac71 wrote: February 19th, 2023, 1:13 pm I found a spot on the forum that lets you see your likes:
app.php/thankslist?tslash=
And Dargo is in the lead!
Followed by Lomm!
Close behind: Swithin!

Yes, what some naysayers feared has come to pass:

It's a Popularity Contest, Folks!

We're havin' some fun now!
In 5th grade marbles became all the rage. Marbles all the time. Someone would go on a hot streak and brag his about gains. Another would say, aw that's nothin'. Look how many I got. 5th grade!
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

It's better to give than to receive.
So our clear winner is our Sue Sue Applegate.
Just Saying!
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: February 19th, 2023, 1:50 pm
laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 10:15 pm
I hope you DO see it. Saoirse Ronan as Nina. Elizabeth Moss as Masha (excellent!) and Brian Dehenny as Zorin.
I see there's a 1968 film as well, with a star-studded cast including Simone Signoret, James Mason, Vanessa Redgrave, and David Warner.

I have than one on the DVR and have seen a small portion. I got too many hangups with this. Vanessa is fine but she is not "young" enough. Mason is great. An early speech where he walks around speaking slowly is brilliant. But Signoret isn't quite working for me. I should hang around long enough to see that Arkadina scene I mentioned.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: February 20th, 2023, 12:05 am
laffite wrote: February 18th, 2023, 10:15 pm
I have than one on the DVR and have seen a small portion. I got too many hangups with this. Vanessa is fine but she is not "young" enough. Mason is great. An early speech where he walks around speaking slowly is brilliant. But Signoret isn't quite working for me. I should hang around long enough to see that Arkadina scene I mentioned.
Coincidence: I was out walking yesterday and listening to British radio on my phone, as I often do. BBC 3 had a version of The Seagull! I listened for a while, it seemed like an edited, updated version. (I think they've done other versions in the past.)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001j4s1

Btw, I saw a version of Uncle Vanya at the Almeida Theatre in London a few years ago. Directed by the acclaimed director/adapter Robert Icke, Vanya was called Uncle John. His mother was played by an elderly actress whom you will remember Laffite: Susan Wooldridge, who played Daphne Manners in The Jewel in the Crown.

https://almeida.co.uk/whats-on/uncle-vanya/
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/ ... obert-icke
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: February 20th, 2023, 4:54 am
Coincidence: I was out walking yesterday and listening to British radio on my phone, as I often do. BBC 3 had a version of The Seagull! I listened for a while, it seemed like an edited, updated version. (I think they've done other versions in the past.)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001j4s1

Btw, I saw a version of Uncle Vanya at the Almeida Theatre in London a few years ago. Directed by the acclaimed director/adapter Robert Icke, Vanya was called Uncle John. His mother was played by an elderly actress whom you will remember Laffite: Susan Wooldridge, who played Daphne Manners in The Jewel in the Crown.

https://almeida.co.uk/whats-on/uncle-vanya/
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2016/ ... obert-icke
I see what you mean by updated. In fact, rather conspicuous. They go to lengths in sounding modern. Masha's lint about wearing black is not intelligible because she is coughing or blowing her nose or farting or whatever they do. I't annoying to me though probably because I am so old and stuffy. Modern students and actors try desperately to make Shakespeare sound modern, sometimes to ridiculous lengths. I have received criticism that I sound like I'm copying someone else or recite where acting should be. Masha's line is rich (depending on translations) and should be heard. As a traditionalist, I like Chekhov characters to speak in precise and intelligible, slow if necessary.

I couldn't get anything out Almeida link. I think I have to register.

I like a BBC Television version of Vanya with Freddie Jones in the title role and Hopkins as Astrov. Jones in incredible in this.

Also, mention the magnificent Olivier from 1962. The full play used to be on Utube but I cannot find it now. Here is a clip: Not favorite scene, my fave where Astrov is talking to Vanya and calling people "microbes."

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

laffite wrote: February 20th, 2023, 3:09 pm
I see what you mean by updated. In fact, rather conspicuous. They go to lengths in sounding modern. Masha's lint about wearing black is not intelligible because she is coughing or blowing her nose or farting or whatever they do. I't annoying to me though probably because I am so old and stuffy. Modern students and actors try desperately to make Shakespeare sound modern, sometimes to ridiculous lengths. I have received criticism that I sound like I'm copying someone else or recite where acting should be. Masha's line is rich (depending on translations) and should be heard. As a traditionalist, I like Chekhov characters to speak in precise and intelligible, slow if necessary.

I like a BBC Television version of Vanya with Freddie Jones in the title role and Hopkins as Astrov. Jones in incredible in this.

Also, mention the magnificent Olivier from 1962. The full play used to be on Utube but I cannot find it now. Here is a clip: Not favorite scene, my fave where Astrov is talking to Vanya and calling people "microbes."
Good clip, even if not your favorite! I should look at the whole play. I think Olivier did it twice on film. What a cast, even Sybil Thorndike and her husband!

There was nothing much to see on the Almeida site, just a record of them having presented the play. Updates often work for me (though not that BBC Radio version). The Almeida production certainly worked for me. Paul Rhys is a fine actor. I've also seen Donald Sinden and Michael Gambon play Vanya.

The play that really drew me to Chekhov, when I was in my early 20s, was The Wood Demon, an early version of Uncle Vanya. I saw it in Edinburgh with a very young Ian McKellen in the title role, which becomes Astrov in the later version. The Vanya character shoots himself in The Wood Demon, which is partly why Chekhov re-wrote it, as suicide was not considered a realistic outcome for the character.

Here's a photo of McKellen as Kruschov, aka The Wood Demon:

LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Just in general.
Watching until the end.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Swithin wrote: February 20th, 2023, 5:22 pm
laffite wrote: February 20th, 2023, 3:09 pm

Good clip, even if not your favorite! I should look at the whole play. I think Olivier did it twice on film. What a cast, even Sybil Thorndike and her husband!

There was nothing much to see on the Almeida site, just a record of them having presented the play. Updates often work for me (though not that BBC Radio version). The Almeida production certainly worked for me. Paul Rhys is a fine actor. I've also seen Donald Sinden and Michael Gambon play Vanya.

The play that really drew me to Chekhov, when I was in my early 20s, was The Wood Demon, an early version of Uncle Vanya. I saw it in Edinburgh with a very young Ian McKellen in the title role, which becomes Astrov in the later version. The Vanya character shoots himself in The Wood Demon, which is partly why Chekhov re-wrote it, as suicide was not considered a realistic outcome for the character.

Here's a photo of McKellen as Kruschov, aka The Wood Demon:

I don't know the Wood Demon, should have a look.

One more thing, there is a complete Vanya on uTube with Ian Holm as Astrov and David Warner as Vanya. I watched a bit and it has a great look. Warner reminds me of Charles Dance. That's interesting about suicide. I wonder if it had anything to with religious taboo.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

LawrenceA wrote: February 20th, 2023, 5:28 pm Image

Just in general.

Pushing a like button just isn't enough!
Thanks LawrenceA! You totally rock!