Three (or more) Great Actors in One Film

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Dargo

Re: Three Great Actors in One Film

Post by Dargo »

LiamCasey wrote: March 6th, 2023, 5:23 pm
Dargo wrote: March 6th, 2023, 4:37 pm And so then maybe YOU should now start ANOTHER thread with the premise of FOUR great actors all bein' in one movie, then.
Just wait until someone starts counting up the number of actors in some of those 1970s disaster movies.

"Well, this one has Paul and Steve. Or is that Steve and Paul? And then Bill and Faye and Fred and..."
LOL

Ya know Liam, this actually DID cross my mind earlier and as I started this offshoot of Det. Jim's thread.

(...and began wondering how many different threads might or could actually be started)
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

Dargo wrote: March 6th, 2023, 5:29 pm Ya know Liam, this actually DID cross my mind earlier and as I started this offshoot of Det. Jim's thread.
Just another example that great minds think alike! :smiley_cheers:
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

The three big names at the time - Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen and Eli Wallach (all above the title) for The Magnificent Seven (1960) would qualify for this thread.

But the supporting players at that time - Charles Bronson, James Coburn and Robert Vaughn subsequently went on to illustrious careers and fame. Even Horst Bucholtz had a brief acquaintance with fame following that film. So I guess, in addition to this thread, The Mag 7 could qualify for a 6 - and maybe even a 7 - thread.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: March 6th, 2023, 5:50 pm The three big names at the time - Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen and Eli Wallach (all above the title) for The Magnificent Seven (1960) would qualify for this thread.

But the supporting players at that time - Charles Bronson, James Coburn and Robert Vaughn subsequently went on to illustrious careers and fame. Even Horst Bucholtz had a brief acquaintance with fame following that film. So I guess, in addition to this thread, The Mag 7 could qualify for a 6 - and maybe even a 7 - thread.
Ah, but can you name the seventh of the Magnificent ones, intrepid? This actor always seems to be the toughest to name, ya know.

The actor of course is Brad Dexter, and who plays the character named Harry Luck. Dexter's career wouldn't reach the heights of the others you named here, and so is probably the reason for this.

In his Wiki page I found the following quote attributed to the Guardian newspaper of Britain:

"A question that comes up regularly in film trivia quizzes is to name the Magnificent Seven of the 1960 John Sturges western. Easy to start with: Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn, and Horst Buchholz. But if Brad Dexter... is usually the last to be mentioned, it is mainly because of the fame of the others; actually, he was rather good as the most mercenary of the septet. ... the cool and taciturn Harry Luck."

(...btw...did you know that Dexter once saved Frank Sinatra's life from drowning after he was swept out to sea during a break from filming the WWII-themed movie 'None but the Brave' on the island of Kauai....Sinatra rewarded him by making him the Vice President of Sinatra Enterprises)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

I did know that Brad saved Frank, yes. I read Kitty Kelly's book.

Yes, it's because Brad is the only one who did not become anything close to a star that I didn't mention him.

But, The Mag 7 was my favorite movie from the age of 12 till I was about 40 - and having seen it about 70 times through the years, I 'm able to name him easily when asked.
Arsan444

Post by Arsan444 »

Cary Grant, Irene Dunne, and Ralph Bellamy give excellent, hilarious performances in The Awful Truth.
When in doubt, have another one.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: March 6th, 2023, 7:37 pm I did know that Brad saved Frank, yes. I read Kitty Kelly's book.

Yes, it's because Brad is the only one who did not become anything close to a star that I didn't mention him.

But, The Mag 7 was my favorite movie from the age of 12 till I was about 40 - and having seen it about 70 times through the years, I 'm able to name him easily when asked.
And in addition to your thoughts here intrepid, I'll now add that I've always thought the two best western movie musical scores ever were Elmer Bernstein's for this film and Jerome Moross' for 'The Big Country'.

(...and I doubt that I'm alone with this opinion)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Oh, yes, Dargo. Elmer's score is absolutely rousing!

I have it on CD.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

9 to 5 (1980)
Masha

Post by Masha »

Dargo wrote: March 6th, 2023, 5:29 pm
(...and began wondering how many different threads might or could actually be started)

I believe that any count above: three should be labeled: "Ensemble".
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

How about Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin & Lizabeth Scott in STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS?
Guess the only reason great actor Kirk Douglas didn't get on the poster is because he's "introduced" here. He sure makes a powerful impact!
Great Judith Anderson is in it too, but too briefly.

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, Ronald Colman. The Talk of the Town.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

LiamCasey wrote: March 6th, 2023, 5:23 pm
Dargo wrote: March 6th, 2023, 4:37 pm And so then maybe YOU should now start ANOTHER thread with the premise of FOUR great actors all bein' in one movie, then.
Just wait until someone starts counting up the number of actors in some of those 1970s disaster movies.

"Well, this one has Paul and Steve. Or is that Steve and Paul? And then Bill and Faye and Fred and..."

LOL!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

TikiSoo wrote: March 7th, 2023, 8:22 am How about Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin & Lizabeth Scott in STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS?
Guess the only reason great actor Kirk Douglas didn't get on the poster is because he's "introduced" here. He sure makes a powerful impact!
Great Judith Anderson is in it too, but too briefly.

WHISPER her name!