MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Andree

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Andree »

Don't put the blame on Ed. Woody didn't have those multi-million dollar budgets which are sometimes necessary to produce
a truly distinguished piece of movie crap. He did what he could with what he had.

FX had What a Way to Go! on this afternoon, one of those all star comedies with Shirley MacLaine, Paul Newman, Robert
Mitchum, Dick Van Dyke, Dean Martin and tons of supporting actors from the movies and TV. I was tempted to watch it, but
wasn't quite in the mood. I'll catch it if it shows up again. I enjoy those mid 1960s comedies that are a bit adventurous, but
can't go as far as they could a few years later. Kind of a slow tease before the dam burst.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Andree wrote: March 8th, 2023, 4:31 pmFX had What a Way to Go! on this afternoon
"Melrose! For-give me!" 🤣
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

TikiSoo wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 8:01 am
CinemaInternational wrote: March 3rd, 2023, 12:52 am It's arguably some of the most unnecessary nudity in movie history.
Unnecessary? Makes me want to see it! :lol:
Feel free. My opinion of the nudity aside, it is a wonderful, powerful film. Speaking of things to be seen, I recall you are a big fan of Peter Bogdanovich and Cybill Shepherd, and last year, when I saw At Long Last Love, I think you either said you hadn't seen it, or hadn't seen it for many years. Someone put a great looking print of it on YouTube, so you have the chance to see it now.

Andree

Post by Andree »

dianedebuda wrote: March 8th, 2023, 9:23 pm "Melrose! For-give me!" 🤣
I just watched a few minutes of it. Maybe they will show it again soon. FX got on a The Day the Earth Stood Still jag a few
years ago where it seemed it was shown every other day.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Intrepid37 wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:14 pm Mmm... anchovies.

Welcome, Intrepid! I love anchovies too! They are particularly delightful on pizza along with sausage and onion.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 9th, 2023, 11:33 amWelcome, Intrepid! I love anchovies too! They are particularly delightful on pizza along with sausage and onion.
Yep.

I spent most of life asking for them - only to see everyone make a face at my request.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

LawrenceA wrote: March 8th, 2023, 2:44 pm Did you know that the primary ingredient in ketchup was originally mushrooms? And that even after tomatoes replaced them as ingredient #1, another central ingredient was originally anchovies?

Something to muse, ponder, and ruminate over.

Important ruminating, Lawrence!

I think ketchup may have Asian Indian roots.

A-1 steak sauce is another muse-worthy condiment.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Intrepid, only the best people appreciate anchovies.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree, I think the only Fassbinder movie I've seen is ALI but do not remember it very well.

Oy, WHAT A WAY TO GO -- a real '60's mess. Gene Kelly is fairly amusing as an egoistic movie idol but that's not saying much. Shirley wears all these "fab" outfits but overall I found it a painful slog.

Ed Wood, bless his heart. GLEN OR GLENDA is another winner.

THE OSCAR co-stars Tony Bennett as Hymie Kelly, whose words of wisdom ring through the ages: "Lie down with pigs and you wake up smellin' like gaaabaaage!"

Speaking of painful slogs, try getting through Woody Allen's ANOTHER WOMAN. Just try.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

LAFFITE, forgive me but I have to write this here -- I tried posting three replies to your last PM but when I hit Submit it doesn't, says I have to wait to post again which makes no sense.

Do not know the make and model of this computer -- it is falling apart -- and did not understand what you said re: sending something. I do not think you understand just how tech-challenged I am, lol.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Guys, if you do not hear from me quickly enough it is because I am experiencing problems with my age-old computer. I definitely need a new one but that is not possible right now.

Bear with me and, well, carry on!
LawrenceA

Post by LawrenceA »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 9th, 2023, 11:42 am Intrepid, only the best people appreciate anchovies.
I don't know about that...I like anchovies, too. :lol:
Watching until the end.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 9th, 2023, 11:52 am Andree, I think the only Fassbinder movie I've seen is ALI but do not remember it very well.

Oy, WHAT A WAY TO GO -- a real '60's mess. Gene Kelly is fairly amusing as an egoistic movie idol but that's not saying much. Shirley wears all these "fab" outfits but overall I found it a painful slog.

THE OSCAR co-stars Tony Bennett as Hymie Kelly, whose words of wisdom ring through the ages: "Lie down with pigs and you wake up smellin' like gaaabaaage!"

Speaking of painful slogs, try getting through Woody Allen's ANOTHER WOMAN. Just try.

DAMN! I missed my chance to record/watch THE OSCAR! I remember seeing it on the schedule and checking now it was on MONDAY MORNING! Who knows when they'll run it again (Paramount). Bad Movie Nirvana. P-SSED! :( Maybe it'll pop up somewhere else (with commercials) this month.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Hibi wrote: March 9th, 2023, 2:41 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 9th, 2023, 11:52 am Andree, I think the only Fassbinder movie I've seen is ALI but do not remember it very well.

DAMN! I missed my chance to record/watch THE OSCAR! I remember seeing it on the schedule and checking now it was on MONDAY MORNING! Who knows when they'll run it again (Paramount). Bad Movie Nirvana. P-SSED! :( Maybe it'll pop up somewhere else (with commercials) this month.

THE OSCAR is available on Watch TCM through March 13th.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 9th, 2023, 11:52 amOy, WHAT A WAY TO GO -- a real '60's mess. Gene Kelly is fairly amusing as an egoistic movie idol but that's not saying much. Shirley wears all these "fab" outfits but overall I found it a painful slog.
Strange that I find quite a few people don't care for it, but I think it's really funny. 🤷‍♀️
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 9th, 2023, 11:52 amSpeaking of painful slogs, try getting through Woody Allen's ANOTHER WOMAN. Just try.
Feel the same with just about every movie he made. Think there was one that I tried & liked ... kinda. 😞