The Light That Failed (1939)

wmcclain

The Light That Failed (1939)

Post by wmcclain »

The Light That Failed (1939), produced and directed by William A. Wellman.

Young Dick's sweetheart nearly blinds him when they are shooting a pistol on the beach one day. Years later he is a newspaper illustrator wounded by a sword cut to the temple during in a battle in Sudan. In his delirium he relives the childhood incident.

Back in London he is a successful artist trying to relight the flame with his past love, but she -- also a painter -- isn't having it.

The old wounds recur and he is quickly going blind. With frantic determination and alcohol for self-medication he has time for one more painting, his masterpiece. His model is a tempestuous streetwalker. Beware the anger of a prostitute scorned.

Where can he go to make an end? The war in Sudan is on again...

I saw this many decades ago when I was I-don't-know-how-old. A lot of it seemed familiar but the only part I remembered was the angry woman destroying the painting and the shock of those who can still see it.

Ronald Colman is -- as always -- superb as the reflective artist, descending into self-pity from his affliction, and because the women in his life are not cooperating.

Walter Huston is his best friend, a war correspondent.

Ida Lupino is the vengeful model, called a "barmaid" to satisfy the censors. She was only 21 and already had about two dozen film credits. Her performance is overblown. I read that she did not enjoy acting, had wanted to be a writer and wound up directing.

Victor Young score.

The Sudanese Hadendoa are called the "Fuzzy Wuzzies" by Kipling, referring to the hairstyles. It was not meant as a disparaging term; he praises their warrior spirit and skill in battle.

Adapted from Kipling's novel, published when he was 26. After I read it I learned that it had both happy and sad ending versions and I could not tell which I had. The ending seemed right and now I see it was the "sad" version.

He wrote only two more novels: Kim and Captains Courageous. He is best known for a wealth of short stories and poems, for which he won the Nobel Prize in Literature.

As far as I can tell this has never been on home video. I found a recorded TV broadcast version online. I suppose this is a type of piracy and I'm sorry about that. I'd rather buy a disc but I can't wait forever. (It's possible the copyright was not renewed and the film is in the public domain. I don't know how to find out).

Capsule film reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Swithin

Re: The Light That Failed (1939)

Post by Swithin »

The Light that Failed is one of my favorite movies, certainly my favorite film of 1939 and my favorite Kipling adaptation. I think it's the among the best representations of what E.M. Forster defined as romance: "Romance is a figure with outstretched arms, yearning for the unattainable."

The cast is wonderful, the script literate and moving, the subdued design perfect for the story. I love the opening -- one of my favorite openings of any movie: A boy, a girl, and a goat on the English coast in 1865. Victor Young's score is beautiful.

The romantic Dick Heldar is the perfect role for Ronald Colman, and he inhabits it well. Walter Huston and Dudley Digges (as Colman's friends) are amusing. Despite this being a rather somber story, Dudley Digges actually has one of the funniest lines of all time. Muriel Angelus, Ferike Boros, and Pedro de Cordoba are excellent. Ida Lupino is very good as well. I love this movie.