Greyeagle

mrsl

Greyeagle

Post by mrsl »

Having seen The Time Machine in the theater, and about 9 million times on TV, I decided to forgo it this time and watched Greyeagle instead on the Western channel.

Unusual little movie, kind of a 'poor mans' Searchers, but with a little of its' own stuff to offer. The 'star' is Ben Johnson (who really looks lonely without his old buddies with him). His daughter is kidnapped and of course he takes off after her with his Cheyenne friend, and another (Jack Elam), who they pick up along the way. It's what I term a 'dirty' western where everything, and everyone is dirty, sweaty, and probably smelly, but more true to life I guess than old Roy or Gene ever were.

Anyway, there's a lot of action and adventure along the way, and the girl has a surprise in store for her, but action fans would like it. She seems to develop a 'thing' for her captor but that could be a smattering of Stockholm Syndrome, who knows?

The Indian who kidnaps her is Alex Cord, took me the whole movie to figure that one out because he's all painted up throughout it, with a red mask painted on his eyes. Alex Cord is the guy who played Duke's role in the Stagecoach remake, but not with the same results. I've seen him around, but not in anything of real note. Jack Elam was his grizzly self, and Ben's Cheyenne friend was Iron Eyes Cody, who you would know if you're any kind of a western fan.

The whole thing was filmed in Helena, Montana. There definitely IS something about those Montana skies. They sure look more blue than anywhere else!!!

This is not a really good movie, but it's not a bad one either. Nice way to spend a couple of boring hours on a rainy day.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Anne---I'd like to see it and since I may be adding the Western Channel to my lineup eventually this year, maybe I will. The story sounds like one I would get into.

It seems to me Jack Elam was congenitally incapable of looking clean, so maybe if he was cast in a picture they automatically had to dirty up everone else to make it look consistent, lol!