Mockingbird
72%
Liberty Valance
28%

Total votes: 25

benwhowell

"Hey, Mr. Cunningham."

Post by benwhowell »

For me, there is no other movie that has found such a profound resting spot in my heart and mind and soul than "To Kill a Mockingbird."
The "passions" of all the people (in front of and behind the camera) responsible for bringing us this "ode" to the beauty (and horror) of the American south in the "Depression-"era really shine.
It is the ultimate "independent" movie-making something so complex look so simple-and has yet to be equaled.
Marco suggested that we could use more people like Atticus Finch. I totally agree...and would suggest that we could use more people like Jean Louise "Scout" Finch too.
Handsome Johnny Eck
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Looks like it's going to Mockingbird by a long stretch. Well, at least Pappy made ALL the others know they were in a contest.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

To Kill a Mockingbird for all the reasons stated above by our savvy, salient crowd.

And it's one of Gregory Peck's finest moments of understated elegance,
Brock Peter's nobility, Robert Duvall's early forays into the psychological
twists and turns a soul can take, and a smooth Horton Foote screenplay
that didn't shame the Pulitzer Prize-winning Harper Lee text beloved by so many.

But the two children were the anchors that allowed the significance of the
story to blossom into such an important film.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
inglis

Post by inglis »

I have to say that although I love To Kill A Mockingbird .LibertyValance is my choice .If The Searchers were in the running with To Kill A Mockingbird ,it might be a different ballgame.I am a big Wayne fan so I am sticking to the Duke and Stewart in this one .
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Each poster has made excellent points in favor of his or her choice. Unfortunately, if I had been a member when this started, one of the movies would never have received a vote from me and I would have stopped voting for the other around Round 3 -- though I certainly understand why most people love these two. I'm just an outlier -- with a vote. Democracy is grand!

The Great State of Chicago casts this vote for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Liberty Valance Island is up to 7 residents, I'm going to have to break out another cooler. We've got enough on our little island to simulate a live version of Gilligan's Island. Oh, can I be the Professor, please?
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
inglis

Post by inglis »

cinemalover wrote:Liberty Valance Island is up to 7 residents, I'm going to have to break out another cooler. We've got enough on our little island to simulate a live version of Gilligan's Island. Oh, can I be the Professor, please?
You sure can ,if I can be Mrs Howell . :lol:
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

ChiO wrote:Each poster has made excellent points in favor of his or her choice. Unfortunately, if I had been a member when this started, one of the movies would never have received a vote from me and I would have stopped voting for the other around Round 3 -- though I certainly understand why most people love these two. I'm just an outlier -- with a vote. Democracy is grand!

The Great State of Chicago casts this vote for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
Glad you made it here ChiO! This project has been treated a bit differently than most in the fact that films were picked by sheer number of votes then seeded against each other in a playoff style that gave more unpredictability to the contest. Everyone had to pick 25 favorite films (which was a daunting task), and the playoffs were seeded from those votes. Here's the original thread:

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis/viewtopic.php?t=1170

I found it interesting just to see how other posters tastes run. My favorites never made it to the final round, but I found out quite a bit about myself and the gang here.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Our Winner

Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."