SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
txfilmfan

Re: SPORTS

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: June 11th, 2023, 4:40 pm
jimimac71 wrote: June 11th, 2023, 3:15 pm I suppose AI could teach FOX how to run the audio at a horse race.
My hearing is modestly impaired as an age related thing. I was not abusive in my youth.
FOX also had the SF Giants game and messed up the audio there too.
I've had nothing but trouble with TV sound for 15+ years.
Those who run TV only concern themselves with the picture, as if the sound is a necessary evil.
My opinion is "up with your rules," to quote "Smokin' In The Boys Room." (Brownsville Statio
All these changes are going to ruin baseball, but that's probably just me.
If you want the games shorter, make them 7 innings.
Charge less for the beer and more for the bathroom. <grin>
The NHL playoffs jack the sound of the crowd so high (they want us to imagine that, you know, we're there) the sound of the announcers are barely audible. I have taken to extensively using the mute button and turning on The Ride of the Valkeries using auto repeat instead.
The teams pump in fake crowd noise in NFL games in their stadiums and the networks sweeten it for broadcast. It's all about production values...
Wouldn't be surprised if other leagues did the same.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I think the fake noise is a byproduct of Covid.
Nobody was in the stands at SF Giants games, the only sport I tolerate.
There were cardboard cutouts, which fans paid for, at the Giants games.
I enjoy ladies volleyball for obvious reasons. <blush >
Ladies softball is crazy fun.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jimimac71 wrote: June 11th, 2023, 7:38 pm I think the fake noise is a byproduct of Covid.
Nobody was in the stands at SF Giants games, the only sport I tolerate.
There were cardboard cutouts, which fans paid for, at the Giants games.
I enjoy ladies volleyball for obvious reasons. <blush >
Ladies softball is crazy fun.
COVID certainly brought it to the forefront, but the networks have been doing it for years.

Back around 1980, NBC did an experimental AFC game (I want to say the Dolphins/Jets in Miami?) with no announcers at all. So all you got was the ambient stadium noise and the stadium PA. Instead of the constant roar you normally hear, there were moments of quiet. The crowd would get louder during the execution of a particular play, of course, but there was no constant cheering, etc. that you normally hear on broadcasts. Crowd noise naturally waxes and wanes with the game, but you can't tell it from watching it on TV. The advent of surround sound broadcasts only made it worse and more noticable.
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Is he the G.O.A.T?

G.C.
Last edited by GaryCooper on June 13th, 2023, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

The NBA is a different game I watched when Larry Bird and Magic Johnson competed against each other. Nikola Jokic will win a few more championships -- if he stays healthy.

G.C.
D. W. Griffith
laffite

Post by laffite »

Looking forward to the Los Angeles Country Club this week at the Open.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/2023-u ... t-hagestad
Mona
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

Florida was totally beaten up and gassed in the end. Vegas owned them.

G.C.
D. W. Griffith
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

D. W. Griffith
laffite

Post by laffite »

Tatis Jr leads off the game with a double in yesterday's Padres-Giants. Then he tried to steal third and gets thrown out. A pretty stupid idea in the first place. You have the meat of the lineup coming up, why risk it? Later on in the game if the situation favors such a move but not the beginning of the game.

The next man hits a home run. The announcer announces oh gosh wow damn golly gee if the runner had just stayed on second, it would be 2-0 instead of 1-0. That reasoning is nonsense. The dynamics have changed without the runner on second and therefore the home run cannot be reasonably presumed had the runner had been on second. Announcers have been spouting this fallacy over the decades, apparently unaware that they are idiots for doing it.

The Padres took a 4-2 lead into the bottom of the ninth. They bring scrub pitchers to get these final three and it wasn't even close. The Giants get men on and tie the score and had the bases loaded when the third out was finally recorded. They ordinarily would have brought him Josh Hader, their closer, but I guess they wanted to rest him. Rest him? He's appeared in 29 games and 28.1 innings all year long. He has never pitched more than an inning in any game! Rest him? The Pads are struggling all year and cannot afford to give away games.

Bob Melvin, the manager, has had a decent career but he is doing the nothing with his team Maybe it's not his fault but with the season nearly half over, maybe he ought be jettisoned for someone else. Sometimes teams do that just to "shake up the team" for better results.
Mona
laffite

Post by laffite »

Last week Machado hits a high fly deep into the outfield and stands at the plate looking at it. And looking. And looking. He finally bestirs himself to move a little as the ball caroms off the wall in left enter forcing the outfielders to scramble after it. When they finally get the ball back to the infield Machado is easing into second base with a fat smile on his face. He is not aware. If he had got the lead out of his pants and started running right away he would have eased into third, not second. This sort of thing is endemic. All swagger and no hustle. Pathetic.
Mona
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

That was the main problem I had with Machado when he was here in Baltimore. Brilliant fielder but came up short on attitude at times. I guess he hasn’t learned.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
laffite

Post by laffite »

The Padres blow another one. The game before they blow a two-run lead in the ninth, and now they blow another two-run lead. The led 3-1 going into the seventh. They give up a run in the seventh, a run in the eighth, and a run ninth to lose 4-3. Their closer, conspicuously absent last night, came in and walked a batter with the bases loaded. Game over. So here is Bob Melvin in the post-game interview hemming and hawing regurgitating the usual blah blah. I kept waiting for one of the interviewers to ask, "Well, Bob, do you think your head is on the chopping block?" But they didn't because 1) they didn't want to scare the holy bejesus out of him and 2) they know the Padres will never do that because they know that the Padres are a pussy organization and would never gosh damn do anything as rash as that. Machado went 1-for-5 and is now batting a lusty .247.
Mona
GaryCooper

Post by GaryCooper »

06/21/1964

* The Phillies had one of the biggest collapses in baseball history 1964.
>> https://www.foxsports.com/stories/mlb/p ... ears-later
G.C.
D. W. Griffith
laffite

Post by laffite »

The San Francisco Giants won their 10th straight and at the expense once again of the hapless Padres who are sinking fast. How much oxygen they left, who knows. The Pads did get an excruciatingly bad break on a questionable call. Leading 1-0 a Giant batter singled to right sending a runner to score. The throw was in plenty of time and batter was called out. The Giants challenged and won claiming the catcher interfered with the runner's dash to the plate. So we go to New York for a decision. New York, for chrissakes, And the experts there ruled in favor of the Giants, It's now 2-0 and the inning goes on during which the G score a couple more for a four run lead that the Pads did not overcome. Manager Melvin was out there arguing and was ejected. I was thinking, does Mr M get that mad at the players? Does he motivate the players? He seems a nice guy, avuncular and easy. Why isn't anyone talking about firing the guy? I don't want the guy to lose his job but it is not even on the radar. The Manny Machado play of the day came in about the fifth when he led off with a double. A really good even swing going with the pitch, he looked really great at the plate for a change. After an out, a batter lofted a fly ball down the left field (not right field, mind you) line, and Machado tried to tag up and go to third where he was thrown out. It is considered taboo for a runner on second to tag up on a fly to left. The replay that just showed Macho's movements on the play, We see him halfway between second and third looking up at the ball as it head for left field. He makes a move towards second and turns and looks the ball being caught. Inexplicably. he runs and touches second and hauls towards third. He is thrown out easily, It's one of those 'what was he thinking' sort of things. Manny made a sterling play at third but it didn't count. A grounder just foul past the third base bag and M playing way towards second dashed for the ball and with a single thrust backhanded the ball and without missing a beat threw the runner with a magnificent throw to first. But it was a foul ball. But a great play. He is stellar at third. The Pads have to play the Giants tomorrow. Where is Bochy when you need him?
Mona
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Yea, Giants have won 10 in a row, and both them and the Diamondbacks are ahead of the Dodgers (now 3\12 back) and Pads way behind.

Crazy season so far.