TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES NEWS

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Dargo

Re: TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES NEWS

Post by Dargo »

Nellie LaRoy wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 1:24 am I would say what I really think about this Zavlav character but I don't want to get in trouble with the administrators. So I'll just let your imaginations come up with something colorful.
Well, considering that they've apparently allowed ME to just call the guy "a pasty-faced doughboy", I'd say fire away here, lady!!!

(...so are you sayin' you might end up callin' this high-finance weasel somethin' WORSE then?)

;)
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 1:36 am
Nellie LaRoy wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 1:24 am I would say what I really think about this Zavlav character but I don't want to get in trouble with the administrators. So I'll just let your imaginations come up with something colorful.
Well, considering that they've apparently allowed ME to just call the guy "a pasty-faced doughboy", I'd say fire away here, lady!!!

(...so are you sayin' you might end up callin' this high-finance weasel somethin' WORSE then?)

;)
I called him a 12 letter hard swear word on another website yesterday, not going to lie. If you have ever seen the Dirty Scrabble scene in 1978's Foul Play, you know the one
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

;)
I always thought "doughboy" was a positive term. I first heard it whilst reading The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas by Gertrude Stein (one of the greatest books of all time). She refers affectionately to WWI soldiers with that term.

Gertrude writing for Alice: "We did enjoy the life with these doughboys. I would like to tell nothing but doughboy stories."
drednm

Post by drednm »

I had five of my projects licensed to broadcast on TCM, dating back to 2014. After 2021, however, I got a consistent "no budget for silent films" response. I never blamed Charlie Tabesh; he was always very nice and very supportive. It's because of him we finally got a Star of the Month salute to Marion Davies this past January. But even then, he couldn't find the money to license ZANDER THE GREAT for the January schedule, eve though is was completely restored and scored and ready to go. The writing was on the wall. It won't surprise me at all if the entire Silent Sunday franchise disappears before the end of the year.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Are there other outlets for your efforts, Dred? Somewhere else you can monetize this? It seems like important work to me, preserving our heritage.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 12:49 pm

;)
I always thought "doughboy" was a positive term. I first heard it whilst reading The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas by Gertrude Stein (one of the greatest books of all time). She refers affectionately to WWI soldiers with that term.

Gertrude writing for Alice: "We did enjoy the life with these doughboys. I would like to tell nothing but doughboy stories."
Yes Swithin, the term "doughboy" was indeed ascribed as a nickname to General Pershing's troops during that world conflict.

However, and if my following link goes through here, you will then see that there is also another accepted definition of that word here:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=doughboy+ ... cc=0&ghpl=

(...and yes and even though I DO realize that the practice of "Fat or Weight Shaming" is now days looked upon as being "unacceptable social behavior") ;)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I remember when Sirius swallowed up XM Radio, and proceeded to fire a majority of the on air staff.
There was an effort to save "Matt The Cat," and one listener took signatures to Sirius headquarters.
Nothing good came from it.
I am wondering if Sue Sue has an inside track to some people who matter.
I'm thinking of people who have been to the Film Festival and/or the TCM Cruise.
Hey! I don't get mad,I get even.
If TCM goes dark, watch me boycott,like it will really matter, anything those dudes have.
I can go Peacock, Hulu, Paramount Plus and never look back.
Yeah, but what about my favorite movies from the "Turner Library?"
Where would they end up and who would show them?
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 1:05 pm the practice of "Fat or Weight Shaming" is now days looked upon as being "unacceptable social behavior"
Uh huh - that's what feminists keep saying.

But it'll never stop me from knowing that morbid obesity is a shameful state in which to place oneself.
drednm

Post by drednm »

Lomm wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 12:54 pm Are there other outlets for your efforts, Dred? Somewhere else you can monetize this? It seems like important work to me, preserving our heritage.
I've been placing projects with various film festivals and venues. Kansas Silent Film Festival, Museum of the American West, Capitolfest in Rome, NY and we just wrapped our first Silent Film Festival in Augusta, Maine at the Colonial Theater as part of the restoration effort for the 1913 theater. I programmed and hosted the 2-day event. Might have something coming up with Cinecon.....
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 1:09 pm
Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 1:05 pm the practice of "Fat or Weight Shaming" is now days looked upon as being "unacceptable social behavior"

But it'll never stop me from knowing that morbid obesity is a shameful state in which to place oneself.
Well Intrepid, while I'm not so sure that it's ONLY the "feminists" of the world that keep saying that sort'a thing, you MIGHT then be happy to learn that I STILL practice this sort'a thing and still have no qualms about it.

Yep, ya see and as in one particular and perhaps noteworthy example, there's this guy who's been in the public eye for quite a while now and who even once held a very high elected office, and because I've found I have a rather hard time referring to him by his actual name now days, I just call this guy "Fat Boy"!

(...and so, SEE?!...perhaps in more cases than we would think, you and I just might hold similar views afterall, huh!) ;)

LOL
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 1:55 pm

Well Intrepid, while I'm not so sure that it's ONLY the "feminists" of the world that keep saying that sort'a thing, you MIGHT then be happy to learn that I STILL practice this sort'a thing and still have no qualms about it.

Yep, ya see and as in one particular and perhaps noteworthy example, there's this guy who's been in the public eye for quite a while now and who even once held a very high elected office, and because I've found I have a rather hard time referring to him by his actual name now days, I just call this guy "Fat Boy"!

(...and so, SEE?!...perhaps in more cases than we would think, you and I just might hold similar views afterall, huh!) ;)

LOL
I said that's what feminists keep saying. Because they do.

I did not say that's what ONLY feminists keep saying.

Please stop trying to create controversy out of every post I make.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

LOL
The "Fat Boy" you're referring to is a real piece of work. An obese man-child who calls others "fat slobs."
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

HoldenIsHere wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 2:53 pm

LOL
The "Fat Boy" you're referring to is a real piece of work. An obese man-child who calls others "fat slobs."
While I probably shouldn't extend this line of thought here Holden, I'll just say here that of course I couldn't agree more with you on this.

(...and that yes, you touched upon the very reason I stoop to such behavior in this regard)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 1:05 pm

;)

Yes Swithin, the term "doughboy" was indeed ascribed as a nickname to General Pershing's troops during that world conflict.

However, and if my following link goes through here, you will then see that there is also another accepted definition of that word here:

(...and yes and even though I DO realize that the practice of "Fat or Weight Shaming" is now days looked upon as being "unacceptable social behavior") ;)
You mean General Pershing, hero of the song: "Many a Cootie Came Over from France, in General Pershing's Underpants?"
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Swithin wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 4:27 pm
Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 1:05 pm

You mean General Pershing, hero of the song: "Many a Cootie Came Over from France, in General Pershing's Underpants?"
LOL

Yep, the very same guy, and who as you might know (and even though the following isn't British history ;) ) had been ascribed with the nickname "Black Jack", and most likely due (although there's still some question about this) to his command of black troops during the late-19th and early-20th centuries.

(...yep, that's the guy, alright)