10 Westerns With 100% On Rotten Tomatoes

Intrepid37

Re: 10 Westerns With 100% On Rotten Tomatoes

Post by Intrepid37 »

And if critics don't know what they're talking about and pan a movie to a degree whereof the film-maker loses money?

That's why I refuse to read reviews prior to watching - it's unfair to me as a viewer and unfair to the production team providing the movie for me to watch.

But, as I said, once I've given the movie my attention, I don't mind reading what they have to say after that.
Belle

Post by Belle »

I seldom read or have read any film criticism before seeing a film, unless I've heard a lot about it or am sceptical about something. Then again, I've refused to see films which have received critical acclaim or hype because of the nature of the film, the actors, the subject-matter etc. "The Sound of Music" was one such. Back when I was at school when this film was released it received positive critical attention. My teachers and peers were waxing lyrical about it and, as I had no faith in their judgment, I avoided it. Only in the last couple of decades have I seen it and my opinion about it is very ambivalent - so I was very nearly right the first time!!
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Belle wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 4:35 pm I seldom read or have read any film criticism before seeing a film, unless I've heard a lot about it or am sceptical about something. Then again, I've refused to see films which have received critical acclaim or hype because of the nature of the film, the actors, the subject-matter etc. "The Sound of Music" was one such. Back when I was at school when this film was released it received positive critical attention. My teachers and peers were waxing lyrical about it and, as I had no faith in their judgment, I avoided it. Only in the last couple of decades have I seen it and my opinion about it is very ambivalent - so I was very nearly right the first time!!
I've never seen it all the way through. Bits and pieces here and there - but it so doesn't excite any interest in me from what I have seen that I've never bothered to devote the hours necessary to view it from start to end.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Belle wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 4:35 pm I seldom read or have read any film criticism before seeing a film, unless I've heard a lot about it or am sceptical about something. Then again, I've refused to see films which have received critical acclaim or hype because of the nature of the film, the actors, the subject-matter etc. "The Sound of Music" was one such. Back when I was at school when this film was released it received positive critical attention. My teachers and peers were waxing lyrical about it and, as I had no faith in their judgment, I avoided it. Only in the last couple of decades have I seen it and my opinion about it is very ambivalent - so I was very nearly right the first time!!
I'm sure you realize that if you refuse to see a film because it receives acclaim by critics (or teachers or peers), one is still letting others influence their decision.
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 6:33 pm
I'm sure you realize that if you refuse to see a film because it receives acclaim by critics (or teachers or peers), one is still letting others influence their decision.
This is true. If that's the reason for not seeing a movie, outside influence is playing a part.

But it's still better than having a critic tell you about the movie before you see it. I just really hate to have my first impression spoiled by someone else's analysis. Don't get me wrong - I don't mind seeing a sentence of description or an IMDb score or who the movie is starring or what director made it - I just don't want a detailed review before I have the chance to experience it myself.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 6:42 pm
This is true. If that's the reason for not seeing a movie, outside influence is playing a part.

But it's still better than having a critic tell you about the movie before you see it. I just really hate to have my first impression spoiled by someone else's analysis. Don't get me wrong - I don't mind seeing a sentence of description or an IMDb score or who the movie is starring or what director made it - I just don't want a detailed review before I have the chance to experience it myself.
I agree that getting such, so call information, by a critic, doesn't enhance the potential experience, but instead is likely to spoil it.
Belle

Post by Belle »

It's me having no faith in judgment other than my own.