Shadow Banning

Chit-chat, current events
LostHorizons

Re: Shadow Banning

Post by LostHorizons »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:07 pm
Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 2:58 pm So then, should I be proud of the fact that in any forums I've ever become a member of, I've only ever needed to go by the handle of "Dargo"?
First of all, pride is a sin.
“Modesty is not good for the needy man.” - Homer :)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Intrepid37 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 4:11 pm
jimimac71 wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:56 pm It don't matter none what others think.
Lomm says no.
I appreciate Masha as I respect her as a person.
Intrepid37, what do you think?
The key word is respect.
I like and respect many people here, and as a result would listen to them, regardless of my opinion.
I'm getting better in my old age. Was considered a troll and it fit me.
Just wanted attention.
Something I learned from public transit.
Once a Golden Gate Transit bus has started to leave the terminal, do not try and stop it.
Among other things that could happen, people will laugh.
I've never been a troll. I've always expressed myself online as I would in person.

But I've been banned more times than I can remember (and I'm not just talking about TCM). Because I won't agree with the absolute nonsense peddled at almost every online site that's chock full of Democrats, I've been intensely hated.

All I can do is make sure I don't respond to personal attacks on me with a personal attack of my own. I learned from moderator1 that she would always punish me for that - never the original offender. She (and several of her snitches) hated my socio-political opinions with extreme prejudice.

I'm trying to be careful here. I'd advise you to do the same. Take deep breaths.
Since you have been banned so many times, it's no wonder you abhor shadow banning. I don't blame you. It could happen to you. ; - )
Last edited by laffite on June 23rd, 2023, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Desire" (1936)
Andree

Post by Andree »

I believe I was banned from the old TCM site three or four times. Just come back with a new address and a new name.
It's kind of a pain to do it, but it worked like a charm and I'm a rank amateur when it comes to computer stuff.

A few months ago I joined a mostly political site. If you think the old TCM off-topic political threads were toxic, they
were nothing compared to this one. Very rough, but kind of fun.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 6:04 pm I believe I was banned from the old TCM site three or four times. Just come back with a new address and a new name.
It's kind of a pain to do it, but it worked like a charm and I'm a rank amateur when it comes to computer stuff.

A few months ago I joined a mostly political site. If you think the old TCM off-topic political threads were toxic, they
were nothing compared to this one. Very rough, but kind of fun.
Okay, I find this hard to believe Andree, and because of your history of almost always keeping your cool in almost any exchange of ideas and opinions that could become a bit heated. A sort of "cool and detached" persona you've always seemed to project, you might say.

Oh and of course, your masterful way of somehow delivering a terrific little verbal jab at someone, BUT and at the same time WITHOUT somehow appearing to get "personal" while doing it.

Yep, I must admit I've always admired this about you, ol' boy!

(...but of course, NOT so much about your oft-stated failure to ever cast your vote in national elections!) ;)

LOL
Andree

Post by Andree »

Thanks, I think. From my recollection, and it's been a while, I mostly got in trouble for some jokes I made, not for
arguing with other posters, though I did that occasionally. I once made a joke about Robert Osborne and a little
boy that didn't go down very well. That was pretty dumb on my part, at least in retrospect. Wish I could remember
exactly what I wrote. Oh well, it's all in the rear view mirror now.

Joe Cool sez: Don't vote kids. It's a waste of time. :smiley_shades:
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Andree wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 9:18 pm Thanks, I think. From my recollection, and it's been a while, I mostly got in trouble for some jokes I made, not for
arguing with other posters, though I did that occasionally. I once made a joke about Robert Osborne and a little
boy that didn't go down very well. That was pretty dumb on my part, at least in retrospect. Wish I could remember
exactly what I wrote. Oh well, it's all in the rear view mirror now.

Joe Cool sez: Don't vote kids. It's a waste of time. :smiley_shades:
LOL

And now with your last line in the above reminding me of yet another quality of yours that I've always admired.

Your consistency.

(...and of which I can always count on) ;)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Jeez - get a room, you two.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LOL

Aaaah...whassamatter here, Intrepid ol' boy? Feel like you're being left out of the conversaton here or somethin'?

What, want me to tell ya what I've always admired about YOU now?

Well, gimme a while to ponder this then, if ya will.

(...I'm pretty sure I can think of SOMETHIN' in a day or two, anyway)

LOL
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Okay, but don't hurt yourself.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

LOL

Okay, I'll try not to, then.

Thanks for your concern.

(...seems you know that at our age, this kind'a deep thinkin' can often be quite taxing on a soul, huh) ;)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Not really. It's pretty effortless for me.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Yep, but then again, you HAVE always been as sharp as the proverbial tack...and about as prickly a character as one, too.

SAAAY! There it WAS! What I've always admired about you, that is. You've always been a very sharp guy!

(...but once again, not so much that "prickly" part)
Last edited by Dargo on June 24th, 2023, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I was shadow-boxing earlier in the day /
I figured I was ready for Cassius Clay /
I said “Fee fie fo fum” , Cassius Clay /
here I come.
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

Dargo wrote: June 23rd, 2023, 3:17 pm (...and of course and as usual I'm sorry to say, with the addition of a thinly-veiled and misapplied slight directed at another)
Why rain on his parade?

It's all about learning to play nicely with others, respecting the idea that not everyone thinks as you do.

Instead of belittling others' opinions, I've found it better to listen to alternate views to help me understand/empathise why they have that opinion.
Add to that- not everyone expresses themselves well with the written word.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I went down to the Chelsea Drug Store
To get the prescriptions filled
I was standing in line with Mr. Jimmy
And Man he looked mighty ill.
We decided to get us a soda
We both got cherry reds
And I sung my song to Mr. Jimmy
And he said one word and that was ????

I said You can’t always get what you want . . .
Last edited by Thompson on June 24th, 2023, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.