Val Lewton - Man in the Shadows Documentary

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Val Lewton - Man in the Shadows Documentary

Post by MissGoddess »

Critic and screenwriter James Agee wrote of Val Lewton:

"I think that few people in Hollywood show in their work that they know or care half as much about human beings as he does."

I got a sneak peek at this documentary last night at Lincoln Center, which was followed by a Q&A with the director, Kent Jones. He and Scorsese can be very proud, it's quite a fitting and feeling tribute to the mysterious producer. It is also crammed with wonderful clips from just about all of his best films. The intent seems to be to show how Lewton's melancholy, idealistic personality and temperment shaped his career and the films themselves. There are excerpts of archival interviews of Robert Wise and Jacques Tourneur which contribute additional insights, especially from Tourneur who admitted (contrary to what you'd gather from his films) he didn't have "poetic bone in his body" until he met Lewton. He felt they worked so well together because Lewton was a complete idealist with his head in the clouds and he, Tourneur, a practical man with his feet on the ground who knew how to implement those ideas.

The documentary also gave the devil his due, by making it clear how much Lewton gleaned from his years as Selznick's right hand and that Selznick himself negotiated his contract with RKO for him.

Scorsese's narration is excellent, precise and perceptive. So much so that I felt the inclusion of a psychiatric talking head was completely unnecessary (and the only annoying note). Jones weaves the sounds of Lewton's films and the music throughout to capture the spirit and mood of his RKO classics. Simone Simon's lilting siren's voice is heard periodically crooning the French carol, "Il Est Ne Le Divin Enfant" and you know you are not in Kansas anymore.

Scorsese and Japanese director Kiroshi Kurasawa spoke of the brevity of Lewton's most powerful scenes and images. I thought that was a salient point because I have always felt that there are moments in all his films you just wish he would have lingered over longer...they end so quickly that the reaction to them doesn't settle in until after they are over and the story has moved on. Perhaps this is what he intended. It adds to the unsettling nature of the movies.

The film also gave praise to my Val Lewton step-child movie, the underappreciated Mademoiselle Fifi, which was music to my ears.

In the Q&A, Kent Jones spoke of having approached John Carpenter about participating in the documentary but the horror director made it clear he had no use for Lewton's films and thought they were silly. :p

After the documentary and Q&A, they screened I Walked with a Zombie, one of my favorites.

I hope everyone will tune in on Jan. 14th (8:00pm EST) when TCM premieres this excellent and informative tribute to a man who until now remained a shadowy figure in cinema. And

For those interested, the screenplays to Val's movies are online here:

http://www.whiskeyloosetongue.com/lewton_biography.html

I've learned alot from reading them myself.

And here is a first rate website that focues primarily on the RKO period of Val's career:

http://www.eeweems.com/val_lewton/
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Great review Miss G. I love Scorsese's documentaries. Is there anything this guy doesn't know about film?
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I'm looking forward to seeing the documentary on January 14th. I like some of Lewton's films a lot, although I get tired of all the praise heaped on him for "suggest don't show," which I think overlooks a lot of the violence in Lewton's films.

A recent and very good book on Lewton's work is "Icons of Grief." I think the author's last name was Nemeroff, but I can't remember right now. Anyway, he looked at the character actors who make Lewton's films so memorable, and how their brief performances add to the whole of each film.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

The author of the book that Mike mentioned is Alexander Nemerov. "Icons of Grief: Val Lewton's Home Front Pictures" is available in paperback online for around 18 bucks. Nemerov writes mostly about the power of imagery in art of all kinds, (static and moving images).

Rather than be obscure or pretentious, the writing of Nemerov that I've come across has been really stimulating, making me look at the world and all the images that hurtle at us every day with fresh eyes. I haven't read this particular book, but thanks to Mike and Miss G.'s terrific glimpse at the upcoming doc on TCM about Lewton, I'll definitely be seeking it out. Here's a link to the publisher of this book:
http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/10165.html

I have two very fragile paperback novels from the '40s of Mr. Lewton's, "Yearly Lease" and "No Bed of Her Own". I originally bought them at a yard sale because I was amused by the rather crude, pulpy cover art, but found the writing, was not really scary (despite the TCM ad campaign for the upcoming doc), and they meander as plots, but are poetically atmospheric and romantically fatalistic, like his movies. These qualities, from what I hear, were personal traits of the man himself.

Can't wait to see this documentary. Thanks for posting this.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Thanks for the book info guys. I will look into Nemerov.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

The only fiction of Lewton's that I've ever read is a short story called "The Bagheta," which was first published in the magazine "Weird Tales" and can be found in the anthology "Weird Tales," edited by Marvin Kaye.

It is not really a horror story but a "Caucasus story" familiar to students of Russian literature (something like Lermontov's "A Hero of Our Time.") The story is set in Armenia, and a village is upset because supposedly a sorceress with the power to turn into a panther has set up shop in the nearby forest. A grumpy old hunter insists that it is merely a rogue panther down from the mountains.

It is a well-told story, but its connection to "Cat people" is really only superficial.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Alex Nemerov was at the screening as well but didn't really speak, he just sat in the audience. I have his book, Icons of Grief, though I found it a bit heavy reading.
markfp

Post by markfp »

Is this the same doc that was in the Val Lewton DVD set or is it new? I don't own the set, but got it from the library so I can't recall the name of the one in the set. Thanks.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

markfp wrote:Is this the same doc that was in the Val Lewton DVD set or is it new? I don't own the set, but got it from the library so I can't recall the name of the one in the set. Thanks.
No, this is brand new. It will be included in a re-release of the box set next year.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Well, did anyone else watch this last night?

I liked it, although I found its tone of "Val Lewton made the only horror films of the Forties that are worth watching" a bit too much. Also, it seemed to take the view that every Lewton film was a gem.

I guess I wanted to see more on "The Body Snatcher," but, to be fair, I had to be called away from the TV around the time they finished "Isle of the Dead" and started "Body Snatcher." Still, did I hear them right when they said that the blind ballad singer was "central" to "The Body Snatcher"?

Anyway, the documentary raised the question for me of why Lewton didn't move into film noir when his horror unit was disbanded. After all, "Cat People," "Leopard Man," and "Seventh Victim" are all semi-noirs. Did he try too hard to make costume pictures, such as "Blackbeard" and just wasn't interested in noir? I'll have to go back to Joel siegel's book again for the depressing details.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I arose early this morning to watch and was throughly pleased that I did. What a fantastic documentary, a fitting tribute to one of Hollywood's most elusive and interesting figures. I enjoy most every one of Lewton's films, some of course much more than others. My personal favorites are the ones directed by Toruneur (the documentary does a nice job of intermingling archival interview footage with Tourneur): CAT PEOPLE, LEOPARD MAN, and I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE. The visual poetics of these films are astonishing, unlike most anything else ever produced (especially on relatively miniscule budgets.) As often as I've seen the Lewton films, the new documentary provided me with a wealth of hitherto unknown (to me) insights into Lewton and his methodology. I'm glad I taped it, as I know I'll enjoy watching this again.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

If I could have my wish, the only thing I might have added to the documentary was more about Roy Webb's musical contributions. He is intriguing me more and more as I see his name credited with an astonishing variety of scores, many of which are really moving and poetic. I feel his music perfectly captures the spirit of the Lewton movies he participated in...especially in I Walked with a Zombie. You can "hear" the restlessness of the sea, the spiritual aspects, the hauntedness of the characters! What a remarkable composer!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

My reaction to Lewton is pretty much evident in my mini-review of The Cat People which I did in the Movies and Features on TCM thread last night. Someone said something that I agree with however, not what they say, but the theory behind it. The documentary made it seem like every film Lewton made was some sort of a gem. After watching Cat People and Leopard Man, I knew what to watch for and nothing else caught me unaware after that. His style is easy to spot. ie. Listen for the music, watch for shadows, see someone alone on screen in a lonely scenario and guess what . . . something is going to happen, it could be an animal attack, someone gets mauled, whatever. The point is he telegraphs the way, he is not subtle like Hitchcock or some others where something happens out of the blue with no warning. Think of The Birds - Tippi Hedren is rowing across the lake, suddenly, no warning, a bird swoops down and nips her on the head. For the rest of the movie, every time you see birds, you expect something to happen, but it doesn't always. With Lewton, it does. That's what I mean, he telegraphs his intent.

I just don't think Lewton is that great. He did a few good and surprising things, but isn't that consistent. If you want to see the West Indies voo-doo connected in some way to Nordic myths, Lewton may be your guy, but on the whole, I'd rather stick to one cosmos at a time.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************