How to make unquestionably great films even better!

TikiSoo

Re: How to make unquestionably great films even better!

Post by TikiSoo »

skimpole wrote: August 30th, 2023, 2:03 am Saying Dorothy always had the ability to go back to Kansas makes it seem I've been stringing her along for the entire movie. Wouldn't it better for me to tell Judy that she had to demonstrate intelligence, heart and courage and some jazz like that.
Scarecrow: "Why didn't you tell her that in the first place?"
Glinda: "She wouldn't have believed me. She had to find it out for herself!"

That was their explanation. I always called BS even as a 10 year old:

...she wouldn't believe you?
Whaa? You can't trust a good witch's honesty in a fairy tale?
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

---overheard within the Samuel Goldwyn soundstages, circa 1946---

Actor Michael Hall: "Yes, but Mr. Wyler, don't you think Rob Stephenson should at least show up later at Homer's wedding along with the rest of his family and just so everyone watching this movie years from now won't think they killed off my character?"

William Wyler: "Forget it, kid. Your part is gonna stay just as it is."

;)
laffite

Post by laffite »

Great thread! Reminds me of a feature way back when in Mad Magazine, "Movies how we would like to see them," something like that. A cartoon with several frames (an entire page) of a famous movie with a different ending or a changed scene, etc. I'm sure there are those around here that would remember that.. I haven't googled this but I might.

I watched Mr and Mrs Bridge last night and wanted a slightly different ending, don't know if that is what this is thread is looking for as the early returns on this thread is definitely on the humorous side. Someone smarter than me would be able to couch this in the same terms, an imaginary conversation, etc. ..but ... I will be dull and just spill it. Maybe one of you out there could make something up for the sake of maintaining the humorous side of things.

I will issue a spoiler alert, here ...
I thought it would be nice haha if Mr Bridge would have had a minor car crash on his way home. That, coupled with Mrs Bridge trapped in her car might have had a mini-symbolic effect relating to their hopeless conservatism. Both of them trapped but nothing catastrophic.

Something else, how about a conversation among the cast on how the hell the kids seemed to have turned as well as they did with those parents. They were not perfect but they seemed to be 'normal' in a way that might seem unlikely what with such pent up parents. I had parents like that, They provided us kids with basic needs but there was no love, and we all paid for it in some way.
//
Mona
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

TikiSoo wrote: August 30th, 2023, 8:16 am
skimpole wrote: August 30th, 2023, 2:03 am Saying Dorothy always had the ability to go back to Kansas makes it seem I've been stringing her along for the entire movie. Wouldn't it better for me to tell Judy that she had to demonstrate intelligence, heart and courage and some jazz like that.
Scarecrow: "Why didn't you tell her that in the first place?"
Glinda: "She wouldn't have believed me. She had to find it out for herself!"

That was their explanation. I always called BS even as a 10 year old:

...she wouldn't believe you?
Whaa? You can't trust a good witch's honesty in a fairy tale?
Well remember this was all Dorthey's dream; She was one cynical mid-western young woman!
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Casablanca: When Signor Ugarte is taken away by the police, a guy says to Rick Blaine: "I hope you will be of more help if they come after me".

Rick says "why? you're an even bigger parasite than that damned Ugarte!".

(I have always wished Rick did respond in such a way to this presumptuous, uncredited, nobody).
Last edited by jamesjazzguitar on August 30th, 2023, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »