SPORTS

Chit-chat, current events
Dargo

Re: SPORTS

Post by Dargo »

Btw here, James...
jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 5th, 2023, 1:40 pm
As for the 2023 Dodgers: I don't see how they can beat either the Braves or Phillies with only two legit starters. I've always been a small-ball fan and while the Dodgers have a solid lineup, with Freeman and Betts having a historic season, it will be very difficult to win a series without a 3rd big league, experienced starter.

Next season, GM Friedman will have to spend big time money to get some starters that don't end up getting arrested!
What seems your very prescient above comment has been on my mind as I've watched the last two D-Backs/Dodgers games.

(...just wanted to let you know)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hey, those annoying circles that covered the board index are gone. Boy were they a pain.

Ha Ha Braves. Go back to Atlanta and stick your tomahawks where the sun don't shine. :smiley_cheers:
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
laffite

Post by laffite »

The Dodgers and the Braves, both frontrunners, can dwell together in infamy. That they both fell in disgrace is really something.
Mona
Andree

Post by Andree »

Yeah, I was rooting for LA to win, but they not only lost but were swept. As they used to say when they
were in Brooklyn 'Wait till next year.' I think I have this stat correct, but all the teams that won 100
or more games during the regular season lost in the playoffs. Ouch.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Andree wrote: October 13th, 2023, 1:05 am Yeah, I was rooting for LA to win, but they not only lost but were swept. As they used to say when they
were in Brooklyn 'Wait till next year.' I think I have this stat correct, but all the teams that won 100
or more games during the regular season lost in the playoffs. Ouch.
Yea, the Dodgers bats went cold especially for their two MVP candidates, Betts and Freeman. Betts went 0 for 11!

Ouch indeed!
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

It will be the Texas Rangers and the Philadelphia Phillies. They both are Locked in. Not to say a lock picker can’t break in, but he’s got to have a good set of picks.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Thompson wrote: October 13th, 2023, 11:56 am It will be the Texas Rangers and the Philadelphia Phillies. They both are Locked in. Not to say a lock picker can’t break in, but he’s got to have a good set of picks.

What happened to your avatar of Richard Boone?
Andree

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 13th, 2023, 10:08 am

Yea, the Dodgers bats went cold especially for their two MVP candidates, Betts and Freeman. Betts went 0 for 11!

Ouch indeed!
Very cold. Even if they had a full complement of starters, it's hard to win games when you only score two runs. I'll
go with the Phillies, however long they last.
jamesjazzguitar

Andree wrote: October 13th, 2023, 3:41 pm
jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 13th, 2023, 10:08 am

Ouch indeed!
Very cold. Even if they had a full complement of starters, it's hard to win games when you only score two runs. I'll
go with the Phillies, however long they last.
Phillies in 6 is my prediction. As for the playoff format for MLB: I think MLB should change the entire overall set-up.

Something similar to international soccer. Something where the 90% of the season is something like the playoffs, and the remaining 10% reserved for the top 4- 8 teams that are at top after initial playoffs. This would increase the importance of what are now regular season games (which have little to no importance until late August \ September.
Andree

Post by Andree »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: October 13th, 2023, 5:30 pm

Phillies in 6 is my prediction. As for the playoff format for MLB: I think MLB should change the entire overall set-up.

Something similar to international soccer. Something where the 90% of the season is something like the playoffs, and the remaining 10% reserved for the top 4- 8 teams that are at top after initial playoffs. This would increase the importance of what are now regular season games (which have little to no importance until late August \ September.
We'll see. I was hoping the Orioles would get further since they haven't come even close in a
long time.

Though there's no connection between the pitch clock and no shift new rules and the playoffs,
I think MLB will be shy about making more changes in the immediate future. But maybe not.
I remember when I was a kid one didn't have to worry about playoffs. Ten teams in the NL,
ten teams in the AL and the winner in each league played in the World Series. Of course
there were 18 teams out of luck.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: October 13th, 2023, 3:11 pm
What happened to your avatar of Richard Boone?

EP Millstone did that for me, got that avatar. Now it seems EP is gone. I get drunk most days and do stuff like delete avatars and pee in the closet. My sleeper movie, it’s a good one — The Night of the Following Day. Boone plays The Brown Man. Marlon does his usual angsty thing. Boone impressed me in this one because his violence is so front and center. You don’t want to mess with Richard Boone in a dark alley,
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

That game was demoralizing for Arizona. I don’t see how they can bounce back, which when you say junk like that, that is what happens.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Big game tonight of course, #7.

I’ve been lucky to watch practically every game of the Rangers because of their cable channel. The season has been exciting. I’m reminded of when the Cubs were on WGN and Harry would sing the 7th inning stretch song - - ‘And it’s one two three strikes you’re out, at the ol’ ball game. Let’s Get Some Runs!’
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

I fall into a real funk when season is over. Let’s play seven.
jamesjazzguitar

Well at least the cheating Houston Astros are out.

If AZ beats Philly in game 7, that would be something.