My Favorite Wife
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/kayla622/
Reddit: kayla622
Twitter: kaylar622
Blog: Whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com
jimimac71

Re: December 2023 Schedule Posted, Cary Grant is SOTM

Post by jimimac71 »

I'm not a Cary Grant fan. I do like North By Northwest.
Perhaps his beautiful costar has something to do with it.
In that case, I should like Charade.
I sort of remember Houseboat was different and enjoyable.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

cmovieviewer wrote: October 26th, 2023, 1:38 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: October 25th, 2023, 10:01 pm It looks like the TV miniseries version of FANNY AND ALEXANDER is scheduled for December.
I've only ever seen the 188 minute theatrical cut, which has been shown on TCM before.
I like the theatrical cut, but it will good to the mini-series cut (312 minutes), which is how Ingmar Bergman originally conceived the story before he was forced to make cuts for the the original theatrical release.

The mini-series supposedly had 5 episodes, but I only see 4 episodes on the schedule posted in this thread.
TCM is likely sourcing Fanny and Alexander from Criterion.

The Criterion Channel lists 4 episodes for the series with a total run time of 312 minutes, so it looks like they are good to go. Here is the breakdown:

Episode 1 - 1:32:57
Episode 2 - 1:15:26
Episode 3 - 57:14
Episode 4 - 1:26:58

https://www.criterionchannel.com/search ... %20episode
Thanks for this information.
The running times for these episodes add up to 312 minutes so it appears TCM will be airing the complete "longer" version of FANNY AND ALEXANDER in December.

I did some research and discovered that Bergman divided FANNY AND ALEXANDER into a prologue, 5 episodes and epilogue. When it originally aired on Swedish television, it was shown in 4 segments ... so some of what Ingmar Bergman called "episodes" were combined into one televised episode.

Bergman's divisions were as follows:
Prologue
Episode 1 "Familjen Ekdahl firar jul"
Episode 2 "Vålnaden"
Episode 3 "Uppbrottet"
Episode 4 "Sommarens händelser"
Episode 5 "Demonerna
Epilogue

****CORRECTED A TYPO THE TITLE OF EPISODE 1****
Last edited by HoldenIsHere on October 27th, 2023, 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

HoldenIsHere wrote: October 26th, 2023, 11:28 pm
cmovieviewer wrote: October 26th, 2023, 1:38 am
HoldenIsHere wrote: October 25th, 2023, 10:01 pm It looks like the TV miniseries version of FANNY AND ALEXANDER is scheduled for December.
I've only ever seen the 188 minute theatrical cut, which has been shown on TCM before.
I like the theatrical cut, but it will good to the mini-series cut (312 minutes), which is how Ingmar Bergman originally conceived the story before he was forced to make cuts for the the original theatrical release.

The mini-series supposedly had 5 episodes, but I only see 4 episodes on the schedule posted in this thread.
TCM is likely sourcing Fanny and Alexander from Criterion.

The Criterion Channel lists 4 episodes for the series with a total run time of 312 minutes, so it looks like they are good to go. Here is the breakdown:

Episode 1 - 1:32:57
Episode 2 - 1:15:26
Episode 3 - 57:14
Episode 4 - 1:26:58

https://www.criterionchannel.com/search ... %20episode
Thanks for this information.
The running times for these episodes add up to 312 minutes so it appears TCM will be airing the complete "longer" version of FANNY AND ALEXANDER in December.

I did some research and discovered that Bergman divided FANNY AND ALEXANDER into a prologue, 5 episodes and epilogue. When it originally aired on Swedish television, it was shown in 4 segments ... so some of what Ingmar Bergman called "episodes" were combined into one televised episodes.

Bergman's divisions were as follows:
Prologue
Episode 1 "Familjen Ekdahpiloguel firar jul"
Episode 2 "Vålnaden"
Episode 3 "Uppbrottet"
Episode 4 "Sommarens händelser"
Episode 5 "Demonerna
Epilogue
I’ve seen the tv show before and it includes lots of minor parts that were cut for the movie version. One example is that the ghosts of the parson’s wife and daughter visit Alexander and vomit on him and curse him for telling lies about the Parson whom they loved (Alexander falsely claimed their ghosts had visited him before and confided in him that the Parson murdered them).
LiamCasey

Post by LiamCasey »

My ten favorite Cary Grant films:

Bringing Up Baby (1938)
Gunga Din (1939)
Only Angels Have Wings (1939)
His Girl Friday (1940)
The Philadelphia Story (1940)
Destination Tokyo (1943)
Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House (1948)
North by Northwest (1959)
Operation Petticoat (1959)
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

speedracer5 wrote: October 25th, 2023, 3:39 pm
BagelOnAPlate wrote: October 25th, 2023, 1:57 pm I hope That Touch Of Mink will be one of the TBA movies shown during the Cary Grant Star Of The Month tribute.
I saw it for the first time this past April at the TCM Film Festival.
I thoroughly enjoyed it!
It's been awhile since I've seen That Touch of Mink. I was also at the TCM film festival in April, but my husband and I were taking part in the opening night festivities. We saw Rio Bravo as our opening night film.

While That Touch of Mink isn't my favorite Cary Grant or Doris Day film, my favorite parts of this movie were the scenes at the automat and later the scenes with the computer going insane and spitting cards everywhere. Any movie with an Automat scene or an old-timey computer scene is a winner in my book.
The passes we had for the TCM Film Festival were the ones where you don't have access to the "red carpet" grand opening screeming or the opening night festivities, but you can attend anything else on Thursday and any Club TCM events.
The Classic pass maybe???

I didn't mind not seeing Rio Bravo that much, but it would have been nice to see Angie Dickinson.

The first thing we saw on Thursday was Hairspray with Ricki Lake in attendance. She was interviewed by Mario Cantone before the movie. What a great start to the festival!
It was originally supposed to be a poolside screening at the Roosevelt Hotel, but it got moved inside the hotel because of rain.
The movie started late so we ended up missing the beginning of That Touch Of Mink.