Gay and Streaming

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
Hibi

Re: Gay and Streaming

Post by Hibi »

Frankly, I don't understand Holden's strident objections to this issue which seem way out of proportion to what's been done. If it bothers him so much, just ignore the sub-forum. It seems we're back to the LIKE button all over again. It's just a message board. There are far more disturbing things going on in the world to get upset about.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Hibi wrote: November 29th, 2023, 10:55 am Frankly, I don't understand Holden's strident objections to this issue which seem way out of proportion to what's been done. If it bothers him so much, just ignore the sub-forum. It seems we're back to the LIKE button all over again. It's just a message board. There are far more disturbing things going on in the world to get upset about.
I find it interesting that one person seems to be in charge of decision making here.
Nothing against Lomm. Has always been helpful.
When I asked about removing or moving "Recent Topics," I was told no, that it wouldn't work any other way.
I agree completely with Hibi.
While I enjoy the forum, the pleasure is less than before.
It is hard to navigate for me with my tablet.
A few months ago I had no idea anyone here was gay.
Now the number of people saying so continues to grow.
This thread is probably part of the reason.
Perhaps Holden is one of many, just the only one so far to speak out.
It is a little frustrating that we must make a request to Lomm instead of just doing something.
I don't think there is anyone else to help with the IT part of this site without Lomm.
That's not a good plan.
This forum is "long in the tooth."
Seeing the coding in a message doesn't make sense and nothing works if you don't get all the brackets in the proper place.
I belong to one other forum which is way ahead of this one and easy to use.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

jimimac71 wrote: November 29th, 2023, 1:34 pm
Hibi wrote: November 29th, 2023, 10:55 am Frankly, I don't understand Holden's strident objections to this issue which seem way out of proportion to what's been done. If it bothers him so much, just ignore the sub-forum. It seems we're back to the LIKE button all over again. It's just a message board. There are far more disturbing things going on in the world to get upset about.
I find it interesting that one person seems to be in charge of decision making here.
Nothing against Lomm. Has always been helpful.
When I asked about removing or moving "Recent Topics," I was told no, that it wouldn't work any other way.
I agree completely with Hibi.
While I enjoy the forum, the pleasure is less than before.
It is hard to navigate for me with my tablet.
A few months ago I had no idea anyone here was gay.
Now the number of people saying so continues to grow.
This thread is probably part of the reason.
Perhaps Holden is one of many, just the only one so far to speak out.
It is a little frustrating that we must make a request to Lomm instead of just doing something.
I don't think there is anyone else to help with the IT part of this site without Lomm.
That's not a good plan.
This forum is "long in the tooth."
Seeing the coding in a message doesn't make sense and nothing works if you don't get all the brackets in the proper place.
I belong to one other forum which is way ahead of this one and easy to use.
Then go there. I'm sorry, but the vast majority of posters prefer the recent topics at the top of the forum, and it appears that many other movie forums (and more than a few posters here) like to have an LGBTQ section.

I can't please everyone, and I know I sound like a prick, but I thought (and still think) there's some merit to such a forum. I do this because I enjoy old movie talk, and the discussion here...and I'm the only person who can keep it clicking along. PHPBB is free forum software, and that has all the pluses and minuses of such. Meaning, there's no commercial support and I have to figure everything out for myself. I do this, and keep doing it, because I enjoy being here. I hope that others also enjoy their time here, including you. But if you're not having a good time, nobody is making you stay.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

The other forum is a Mac related forum and I mostly go there for alternatives to Apple like Android.
I didn't expect such an explosive reply Lomm.
It does me no good here to be pleasant.
I don't come here to be part of a movie forum and that was never the case before.
I lack the knowledge many here have, and in the past, have had my nose rubbed in it.
I like the music section here.
Funny I can't report you to the moderator, can I Lomm?
You can either ban me or close my account. I do not wish to remain here.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

Community: if one uses the "unread post" option under "quick links" this forum is easy to navigate.

While I agree there are too many sub-forums at this site, the "unread post" option makes it easy to focus on those sub-forums and associated threads that one is interested in. Then use the "first unread post" feature, as well as "mark all read".
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

jamesjazzguitar wrote: November 29th, 2023, 3:33 pm Community: if one uses the "unread post" option under "quick links" this forum is easy to navigate.

While I agree there are too many sub-forums at this site, the "unread post" option makes it easy to focus on those sub-forums and associated threads that one is interested in. Then use the "first unread post" feature, as well as "mark all read".
I do the same. I do it for any forum I'm on. To me, it's the easiest way to keep up with content updates. The only time I have to navigate through sub-topics is if I'm starting a new topic.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

jimimac71 wrote: November 29th, 2023, 3:27 pm The other forum is a Mac related forum and I mostly go there for alternatives to Apple like Android.
I didn't expect such an explosive reply Lomm.
It does me no good here to be pleasant.
I don't come here to be part of a movie forum and that was never the case before.
I lack the knowledge many here have, and in the past, have had my nose rubbed in it.
I like the music section here.
Funny I can't report you to the moderator, can I Lomm?
You can either ban me or close my account. I do not wish to remain here.
I guess you’ve made up your mind already, but I have to wonder what you’d "report" my post for. :lol:

All I said was if you don’t like it here, you don’t have to stay. I even said I wished you would enjoy your time here. Anyway, sorry to see you go but it seems there was no pleasing you here.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

I'm very offended by your comments, Lomm.
I have thin skin.
You're put off and very defensive of your antiquated forum.
I'm not welcome here because I'm not a movie nut.
It only takes one bad apple, don't you know, to spoil the whole bunch.
The Mac forum is not one that calls people by name.
If I make a post someone doesn't like, I get a thumbs down.
A non-Apple guy who gets less abuse than here.
If I can't get along with you Lomm, why stay?
I haven't a leg to stand on.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

The SSO is quite a good board. I like the way it is managed, and the way it is set up. I wouldn't have made that recent fuss if I thought it wasn't worth remaining here as a poster. There are plenty of other options.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

It is not unusual to be all alone.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Not even funny. I've treated you better!
This is how many TCMers have treated me for years and how I get banned.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

jimimac71 wrote: November 29th, 2023, 10:35 pm Not even funny. I've treated you better!
Jimimac7, that was meant as an affectionate post, using one of the icons of cinema. (I'll delete it if you are really offended.)
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Swithin wrote: November 29th, 2023, 10:39 pm
jimimac71 wrote: November 29th, 2023, 10:35 pm Not even funny. I've treated you better!
Jimimac7, that was meant as an affectionate post, using one of the icons of cinema. (I'll delete it if you are really offended.)
Leave the post.
How am I to understand your sarcasm?
I'm only someone who watches movies.
Otherwise, I haven't a clue.
Nor do I real care.
Spin the song "All Alone Am I," and I'd still be offended.
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

You aren't banned (obviously) jimimac. I didn't say YOU had to be a movie nut...I said that's why I was here. As to the "antiquated forum", it's actually very up to date and still maintained and updated regularly. You just don't like the way posting works here. There's nothing I can do about that, and I do honestly grow tired of the many demands (and they are very often demands, not requests). Your earlier post could be seen as equally offensive, to me, as my post was to you. I wasn't literally telling you to leave...I was telling you that if you were unhappy, you could just leave. I have enjoyed many of your posts here.