I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
laffite

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by laffite »

A Fistful of Dynamite (1971) If you're still waiting for that close-up, too bad you weren't around for this. Like all Sergio Leonie films there are tons of them. Caveat, you may be visually impaired later due to camera incursions into your eyes, lips, and anything else the camera finds. Or if you are content to be an extra, there are tons of those too mostly doomed to die either by execution or blown up to smithereens. The number of rounds shot in this film is staggering. And this is a comedy. Steiger was brilliant in this. His performance was so free, so spontaneous, so buoyant, he had no time to chew the scenery. James Coburn is good too. This seemed like a buddy-buddy film (if you will), though adversarial at least early on. They had chemistry. An actress named Maria Monti has a brief turn as an upper crust society lady who mercilessly verbally humiliates our hero and then when the tables are turned and she is at his mercy, still manages to exude a certain latent sexually that can be quite erotic (despite maintaining an incredible reserve). She is supposed to have been raped but my reading did not show any of that (but right up to it), which may have been a decision by MGM+. The movie has a Revolution in it. The first half (sans revolution yet) I found to be vastly more entertaining. After that we get a lot aforementioned violence and the scenes tended to be lengthy. And there was here and there some slow mo sentimental scenes (among the early victims and being shown in happier times) with some music that might lend itself to saccharine elements but they were not too bad. The movie to me was two in one, in tone and ambiance. The movie is overlong but entertaining for the most part. Rod Steiger carried the film for me, with very strong support from James Coburn. And, of course, Maria. ///
"Desire" (1936)
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: February 8th, 2024, 5:55 pm
I loved Julie Adams on that show. I seem to remember she had a lot of longwinded dialogue on that show (she talked a lot) And she talked very fast, too.

later on in the same episode, she gets a very rare line of genuinely funny dialogue (for MsW, that is):

"Jessica! PLEASE! I'd get down on my knees and BEG, but this is MY LAST PAIR OF PANTY HOSE!"
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: February 9th, 2024, 8:50 am
I loved Julie Adams on that show. I seem to remember she had a lot of longwinded dialogue on that show (she talked a lot) And she talked very fast, too.

later on in the same episode, she gets a very rare line of genuinely funny dialogue (for MsW, that is):

"Jessica! PLEASE! I'd get down on my knees and BEG, but this is MY LAST PAIR OF PANTY HOSE!"

LMREO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't remember that one!!!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:31 am

BENEDICT ARNOLD SLIPPED HERE. The one where an old lady dies and makes JESSICA her executrix and it turns out BENEDICT ARNOLD stayed in the home and the two antique dealer brothers fight over it. EVE SIMPSON has the real estate listing.

probbaly one of the TOP FIVE CABOT COVE EPISODES
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:35 am
Hibi wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:31 am

BENEDICT ARNOLD SLIPPED HERE. The one where an old lady dies and makes JESSICA her executrix and it turns out BENEDICT ARNOLD stayed in the home and the two antique dealer brothers fight over it. EVE SIMPSON has the real estate listing.

probbaly one of the TOP FIVE CABOT COVE EPISODES
Oh, I remember the episode, but not that dialogue! I haven't seen that one in a long time.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

YOU KNOW, Since no one asked and I was looking to be controversial:

Am I the only one who reads AMOS TUPPER as being GAY?
Cinemaspeak59

Post by Cinemaspeak59 »

Swithin wrote: February 8th, 2024, 7:53 pm
Cinemaspeak59 wrote: February 8th, 2024, 6:28 pm Double Harness (1933) William Powell plays the heir to a shipping line, but business is a distant second to his playboy lifestyle. Ann Harding, conservative but not prudish, tries to reform his impulses. They get married thanks to some skullduggery on Harding’s part. But the marriage is strictly a business arrangement. If Powell isn’t happy, Harding will gladly divorce him, and not bother about alimony. What a deal, at least for Powell. Double Harness is a clash between old fashioned values like industriousness and responsibility, versus doing as one pleases. The movie resolves this dichotomy by showing they need not be in conflict at all.
It's also a clash between the butler and the Chinese chef! I haven't seen the film for a while but I remember enjoying it very much.
Yes. I'm surprised one of them didn't quit.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:38 am YOU KNOW, Since no one asked and I was looking to be controversial:

LOL. Well he never married. Neither did the mayor. Unsure about Doc.Hazlett
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hibi wrote: February 9th, 2024, 11:29 am
Lorna wrote: February 9th, 2024, 10:38 am YOU KNOW, Since no one asked and I was looking to be controversial:

LOL. Well he never married. Neither did the mayor. Unsure about Doc.Hazlett
Mayor Sam booth was asexual- Jessica has a line pretty much confirming this in the episode. “town father.”

Doc Hazlet most definitely had a wife. Her name is referenced in a few different episodes, but I can’t remember what it is, (Ruth?) he and his brother had a falling out because they were both in love with her I think.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

the season five finale “mirror mirror, part two” pretty much leaves it open to interpretation – but I’ve always read it as “Seth and Jessica are definitely ****ing, they’re just keeping it on the down low.”
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Do you ever wonder if sometimes people invited Jessica to be a houseguest for the weekend specifically in the hopes that a family member who had been irritating them even more than usual would be murdered?