The Big Heat 1953

Arsan444

The Big Heat 1953

Post by Arsan444 »

I borrowed Night and the City, a movie I've never seen, so I could watch it on the weekend, but the disc was damaged, so I borrowed The Big Heat instead.

I hadn't seen this movie in a long time, I only remembered the coffee pot scene, so it was like viewing it for the very first time. And I liked it very much. Fritz Lang's direction is fast paced and suspenseful without sacrificing characterizations or story. I think Lang and the screenplay are especially interested in showing the dark side of human nature on each side of the law. Especially interesting is the contrast between the detective's family life and the violence of the gangsters.
I've always been indifferent to Glenn Ford, but I liked his work in this movie. His performance is honest, convincing, and he shows a great deal of range.
Gloria Grahame almost steals the movie, Lee Marvin is perfectly menacing, and Jocelyn Brando is fine as the detective's wife.
When in doubt, have another one.
jamesjazzguitar

Re: The Big Heat 1953

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

One of my favorite noir films and favorite Lang directed film. Jeanette Nolan as the widow is a stand-out character in the film; she wants her cut and is going to do what it takes to get it. The overall interactions between the cops in management positions (e.g. Lt. Ted Wilks played by the solid character actor Willis Bouchey), that while not corrupt, were not crusaders, was realistic.

One thing I don't like is how the film ends, appearing to resolve the corruption, with the indictments of Higgins and Lagana. It would have liked the film to end without them bring indicted and instead Stone is killed, thus helping the mob by removing a key state witness. Bannion gets his revenge but the overall corruption issues are not addressed.