I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Andree

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 10:59 am
I meant that I watched Spellbound, but I do remember those cop shows!
Oops, my error. I did watch the Edmund Kemper episode of Very Scary People last
night. I think it's a few years old. I remember the name but didn't know the details. It's
a close call but I think Kemper is the weirdest and most disgusting of the most notorious
of the serial killers. Don't even want to think about it. Eddie is 75 and still, thank goodness,
in the pokey.

And then there are the dopes who try to make a murder look like a suicide. Rarely works.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Andree

Post by Andree »

txfilmfan wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 10:18 am

I think the audience migrated to YouTube. You can see thousands of arrest & traffic stop videos there, and from both viewpoints: crazy suspects and crazy cops.
Probably. You've seen one week of Cops and you've likely seen them all. The theme
song was good though.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Lorna wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 10:38 am (In news that will surprise exactly NONE of you, I am a MESSY B***** who LIVES FOR DRAMA)
We know that, and it makes a lot of your posts unreadable.
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 4:23 pm These narcissistic sociopathic murderers think they're smarter than everyone else, most especially the police, so in their sick minds always believe they'll never get caught. That of course is the pathology.

Recently watched Oxygen's disgusting Selena and Yolanda, The Secrets Between Them. Yolanda's family attempts to whitewash their psychopathic relative: "She did pull the trigger and shoot but didn't mean to" Right. Yolanda: "I loved Selena" Right. What Yolanda really loved was attention, money, and the ultimate power of getting into a celebrity's inner circle. Poor Selena obviously didn't see the danger since Yolanda was so cunning and manipulative.
Yolanda Saldivar is eligible for parole next year.

She's now linked to Selena forever, which probably makes her feel special.

I couldn't watch the Selena and Yolanda docu-series.
Supposedly Yolanda was going to reveal a great "secret" that she shared with Selena.
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

The Sterile Cuckoo (1969),

College student (Wendell Burton) meets manipulative, clingy stalker (Liza Minnelli) on a bus back to college.

You can tell from my one-sentence synopsis that I didn't much like this film, largely because the Minnelli character sets off red flags and alarm bells almost from the moment we meet her. Unfortunately, Burton is only thinking with his little head, so the movie treats Minnelli as kooky and the movie as romantic.

4/10. At least Minnelli didn't boil any bunnies or kill herself and frame her husband and sister for it.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Fedya wrote: February 24th, 2024, 7:41 pm The Sterile Cuckoo (1969),

College student (Wendell Burton) meets manipulative, clingy stalker (Liza Minnelli) on a bus back to college.

You can tell from my one-sentence synopsis that I didn't much like this film, largely because the Minnelli character sets off red flags and alarm bells almost from the moment we meet her. Unfortunately, Burton is only thinking with his little head, so the movie treats Minnelli as kooky and the movie as romantic.

4/10. At least Minnelli didn't boil any bunnies or kill herself and frame her husband and sister for it.
I like this one, I didn't get any "stalker" vibes from the Minnelli character, just lonely and kooky. I think it's the best performance she ever gave, and I have seen Cabaret (1972)
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

you know, Thanks to HOLDEN, I made it a special point to rewatch GOSFORD PARK this cold and dreary morning and I'm glad I did- it's a film that DEMANDS rewatching, in fact one's second viewing is an entirely different experience provided it comes within a week or two of the first viewing (or in my case my first time seeing in in two decades)

spoilerishy

the sister who "lost the draw" for SIR WILLIAM and is the only one REALLY mourning him...
the alcoholic butler (ALAN BATES) suckling some spilled BLOODY MARY JUICE off his thumb at LUNCHEON...
The LITTLE MAID who is madly in love with the alcoholic butler- I picked up on ALL SORTS of little interractions between them
the song "WHAT A DUKE I WOULD BE" (sic?) playing while SIR WILLIAM is stabbed by a b****** son.
there's even a little smile exchanged between one of the exiting female guests and THE FOOTMAN played by RICHARD E GRANT that made me sit up and WONDER just WHAT went on there that we did not see.

What a delightful film- layers and layers and layers.
this is how great CINEMA used to be- it tells more in a little over two hours than many eight episode "special series" on amazon or netflix ever do.

I still cannot for the life of me believe ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY gave this film an "F" - I KNOW THIS HAPPENED, EVEN THOUGH IT HAS BEEN SCRUBBED FROM THEIR WEBSITE!

i also forgot to mention this last time, but I could not help bit smile at THE YELLOW ROLLS-ROYCES that taxi the guests to and from the titular home- one of them may well be the same one that appeared in THE MONSTER CLUB (1981)- in that film it acted as a staff car for a bunch of flesh-eating "Village Elder" GHOULS.
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Far From Heaven (2002) TCM 8/10

A 1950s wife and mother (Julianne Moore) experiences town gossip and her husband's (Dennis Quaid) dark secret.

This is the 3rd time I have seen this and am so glad it finally got on TCM which is where it belongs. People who say they don't make 'em like the used to needs to see this one. It is a perfect recreation of Douglas Sirk melodrama with an excellent cast. It could have been a camp parody but it is played completely straight and it works brilliantly. It touches on subjects that would not have been allowed in the 1950s like homosexuality. The Moore character also has a friendship with her black gardener (Dennis Haysbert) which is misunderstood by her prejudiced neighbors. The cinematography with beautiful Autumn colors is stunning. Highly recommended to classic film fans.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Detective Jim McLeod wrote: February 25th, 2024, 6:43 pm Image

A 1950s wife and mother (Julianne Moore) experiences town gossip and her husband's (Dennis Quaid) dark secret.

This is the 3rd time I have seen this and am so glad it finally got on TCM which is where it belongs. People who say they don't make 'em like the used to needs to see this one. It is a perfect recreation of Douglas Sirk melodrama with an excellent cast. It could have been a camp parody but it is played completely straight and it works brilliantly. It touches on subjects that would not have been allowed in the 1950s like homosexuality. The Moore character also has a friendship with her black gardener (Dennis Haysbert) which is misunderstood by her prejudiced neighbors. The cinematography with beautiful Autumn colors is stunning. Highly recommended to classic film fans.

lovely review and a lovely movie; i agree with pretty much everything you write.

although....

warning, controversial opinion 22 yearsish after its release
- DENNIS QUAID is amazing in this film, like it's one of the best supporting performances I've ever seen period and it's a shame that he didn't get more roles like this; DENNIS HAYSBERT on the other hand is STIFF AS A BOARD and- honestly- my one issue with the film. I really wish it were someone else in the part more and more every time I see it, I don't get ANY chemistry with him and MOORE and yes maybe those stupid insurance commercials have something to do with it.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

and onto more controversial opinions-

I am an hour and some change into TESS (1979) and I am not sure I want to finish it. i realize it's not fair to pass criticism on something when I have not seen all of it, but sometimes I come to you guys when this happens for feedback on whether I should continue or not.

a few things to lay out:

I've never seen it before, but I am a HUGE THOMAS HARDY FAN (I have read all but a couple of his novels- even some of the lesser works) and I would be an idiot to say that this is a bad movie, it most certainly is not. It is gorgeously shot and well-costumed, the end credits roll at the start, which kinda pissed me off, but I got over it; the actor playing TESS'S DAD is SO GOOD- it's like watching JOHN MILLS in RYAN'S DAUGHTER minus the shameless mugging; the locations are great, the shots are framed thoughtfully, the period detail on point...sure things could move a little faster, but I dunno it's fine...

except...

for NASTASSIA KINSKI- whose casting is something I have always been beguiled by.

and really quickly: I'm not saying that NASTASSIA KINSKI is a bad actress, she most certainly is NOT,

but she is clearly not British in ANYWAY WHATSOEVER- like even down to THE LOOKand she CLEARLY is struggling with the accent and a MAJORITY OF HER SCENES have been done with ADR and an unforgivable number of OVER-THE-SHOULDER-SHOTS or SHOTS WHERE HER HAIR IS IN HER FACE while she is speaking are used to try and hide it.

Honestly, she is in a position she should not have been put in-and I feel sorry for her.

It's TESS where TESS is not allowed to give a performance. IT MIGHT AS WELL BE A STAND-IN.

I don't know if I'm gonna finish it or not, because it's just MADDENING.

(spoiler)

I mean, a HUGE SCENE where TESS pleads with THE VICAR for her dead illegitimate baby to be buried in the cemetary is played with KINSKI in AN OVER THE SHOULDER SHOT.

WE. NEVER. EVEN. SEE. HER. FACE.

JUST THE BACK OF HER HEAD.

I just can't.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

When I saw this in the theaters years ago (hard to believe it's been that long already), I half-expected Agnes Moorehead to show up as one of the nosy busybody neighbors!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: February 23rd, 2024, 4:23 pm These narcissistic sociopathic murderers think they're smarter than everyone else, most especially the police, so in their sick minds always believe they'll never get caught. That of course is the pathology.

Recently watched Oxygen's disgusting Selena and Yolanda, The Secrets Between Them. Yolanda's family attempts to whitewash their psychopathic relative: "She did pull the trigger and shoot but didn't mean to" Right. Yolanda: "I loved Selena" Right. What Yolanda really loved was attention, money, and the ultimate power of getting into a celebrity's inner circle. Poor Selena obviously didn't see the danger since Yolanda was so cunning and manipulative.
I saw that on the schedule but didn't watch. Didn't want to spend several hrs listening to Yolanda explaining away what happened. She's where she deserves to be: IN JAIL.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: February 26th, 2024, 8:55 am

lovely review and a lovely movie; i agree with pretty much everything you write.

although....

warning, controversial opinion 22 yearsish after its release
- DENNIS QUAID is amazing in this film, like it's one of the best supporting performances I've ever seen period and it's a shame that he didn't get more roles like this; DENNIS HAYSBERT on the other hand is STIFF AS A BOARD and- honestly- my one issue with the film. I really wish it were someone else in the part more and more every time I see it, I don't get ANY chemistry with him and MOORE and yes maybe those stupid insurance commercials have something to do with it.

LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!! Haven't seen it since it came out and it still holds up well. The film was robbed at the Oscars. Only 4 nominations. Deserved double that and I think Moore deserved the Best Actress award. And HOW did Quaid get stiffed with NO supporting nomination??????
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: February 26th, 2024, 9:44 am

When I saw this in the theaters years ago (hard to believe it's been that long already), I half-expected Agnes Moorehead to show up as one of the nosy busybody neighbors!
Patricia Clarkson played the Aggie role! :D