I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 13th, 2024, 5:17 pm
Hibi wrote: March 13th, 2024, 5:06 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: March 13th, 2024, 4:37 pm

Another one was Gaby: A True Story, which landed a supporting actress nod for Norma Aleandro for Supporting Actress, even though its box office gross was only $125,400 (a record low for a film with an Oscar-nominated performance). Liv played the mother of a young woman with severe MS in the film (the actress playing the daughter in that film was actually up for a Golden Globe, although she had scant work afterwards save for a part on the Fran Drescher sitcom The Nanny in the 1990s.) Maybe Liv was catnip to the Globes back then. She is a great actress after all.
Sadly, her talent rarely translated to anything near box office in the U.S. Too bad. I'd forgotten about Gaby.
In some respects, I would put Ullmann and Glenda Jackson as being somewhat in the same boat: enormously praised in the early 1970s (and in Liv's case in the late 60s as well) but found a pretty hard go of having their films be seen after 1975. And its a shame because they are both wonderful actresses. [Full admission, I went hunting on the internet to find many of Glenda's films after she passed last year. I ended up watching most of them, and its just shocking that some of them were not given a proper release. Exhibit A for Glenda would be The Return of the Soldier, filmed in 1982, but not released in America, and not very widely at that, 3 years later, even though it also starred Alan Bates, Julie Christie, and Ann-Margaret.... and it was a wonderful film. In fact, here it is, under the spoiler tag.....
)

Liv's films might have more visibility these days than Glenda's due to her long and fruitful collaboration with Ingmar Bergman, whose films are still extremely respected. It was a pleasant surprise when she won the lifetime achievement Oscar a few years ago, and maybe, hopefully, it led more people to check out her films. (now if the Oscars could give a lifetime achievement to Catherine Deneuve too that would be nice)
Yes, Liv's films with Bergman will always have a place in film history. I was so happy she got an honorary Oscar as they give it to very few foreign actors or actresses. (Director's yes!) Moreau never got one. So many others. I'm curious when/if Glenda's last film (with Michael Caine) will be released here. So many of her British films had scant release here if at all.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CNN's The United States of Scandal hosted by Jake Tapper.

Rod Blagojevich, Mark Sanford, John Edwards, Eliot Spitzer (who looks like my Uncle Heshie from Brooklyn, lol) -- narcissistic hubristic (is that a word?) losers. Rod is an ugly little troll. Heard his name a lot when I lived in Chicago.

Tapper's narration was very amusing.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

The end of FEUD: Capote Vs The Swans. What was the point of all that?
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

kingrat wrote: March 13th, 2024, 8:06 pm
The original Snapper was William Gray Espy, who decided not to renew his contract. He surfaced a few years later on Another World as Mitch, the guy who temporarily broke up Rachel's marriage to Mac. Then he was paired with Felicia (Linda Dano). Linda Dano later made some snarky remarks about how he didn't seem accustomed to kissing women.

(GAY SCREAMING INTENSIFIES)

WAIT, HANG ON HOLD THE PHONE....Mitch was gay???? I'm surprised LINDA DANO said that, I seem to recall watching her in an interview where she mentioned that she liked him and the main reason he did the show was to have the money to play golf- he was a fanatic.

in watching old ANOTHER WORLD eps from 1988-1990, I am struck by how much he reminds me of a very calm, placid HARRISON FORD- this photo really doesn't do justice to how handsome he was.

He and DANO had zero chemistry thoough, their marriage on the show only lasted about 18 months...

Marysara1

Post by Marysara1 »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/tcm-c ... c6ee&ei=40 TCM is having a Robert Osborne tribute on Aapril 14th. His intros and favorite movies.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: March 14th, 2024, 1:08 pm
kingrat wrote: March 13th, 2024, 8:06 pm
The original Snapper was William Gray Espy, who decided not to renew his contract. He surfaced a few years later on Another World as Mitch, the guy who temporarily broke up Rachel's marriage to Mac. Then he was paired with Felicia (Linda Dano). Linda Dano later made some snarky remarks about how he didn't seem accustomed to kissing women.

(GAY SCREAMING INTENSIFIES)

WAIT, HANG ON HOLD THE PHONE....Mitch was gay???? I'm surprised LINDA DANO said that, I seem to recall watching her in an interview where she mentioned that she liked him and the main reason he did the show was to have the money to play golf- he was a fanatic.

in watching old ANOTHER WORLD eps from 1988-1990, I am struck by how much he reminds me of a very calm, placid HARRISON FORD- this photo really doesn't do justice to how handsome he was.

He and DANO had zero chemistry thoough, their marriage on the show only lasted about 18 months...

UGH. GOLF FANATIC??? I think less of him now. (LOL). Yes, he was handsome. I think he had longer hair on Y&R.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

TCM finally showed a very nice version of Lucy Gallant (1955) on Wednesday evening. In the past it has always been 4x3 'fullscreen', but this time it was shown in the widescreen technicolor presentation it was made for. Lucy Gallant is available on WatchTCM through March 21 if you missed it.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Allhallowsday wrote: March 14th, 2024, 12:52 pm The end of FEUD: Capote Vs The Swans. What was the point of all that?
Last edited by Lorna on March 14th, 2024, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Marysara1 wrote: March 14th, 2024, 1:31 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/tcm-c ... c6ee&ei=40 TCM is having a Robert Osborne tribute on April 14th. His intros and favorite movies.

hope you don't mind- I am taking the liberty of COLORIZING and BLOWING UP your post so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.
(i've noticed that happens easily with the format here.)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: March 14th, 2024, 3:10 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: March 14th, 2024, 12:52 pm The end of FEUD: Capote Vs The Swans. What was the point of all that?
YEP!!!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

I was charged up by the candor and violence of the 1st two episodes. Wonderful performances. The Black and White Ball was a letdown despite a great idea, and after that it was beating a dead horse. D A E D. Dade. :D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Allhallowsday wrote: March 14th, 2024, 3:48 pm Image

I was charged up by the candor and violence of the 1st two episodes. Wonderful performances. The Black and White Ball was a letdown despite a great idea, and after that it was beating a dead horse. D A E D. Dade. :D
Agree. It quickly went downhill after a promising start...
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: March 14th, 2024, 4:37 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: March 14th, 2024, 3:48 pm Image

Agree. It quickly went downhill after a promising start...
Lending credence to your previous argument that it should've been a 2 parter. Just not enough material to stretch to 8+ hours. I don't know what the running time was in total, since I think every episode ran well over an hour with the ads (which I skipped over).

Bless whoever invented the DVR...
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I just watched The Seven Samurai (1954), Akira Kurasawa's masterpiece, which I hadn't seen in decades. I had TiVo'd it from TCM a while back. It's a great print with particularly well-written subtitles. The nearly four hours flew by.

The well-known plot focuses on a rural village of desperate farmers in 16th century Japan who hire samurai to protect them and their crops from the vicious bandits who intend to return when the barley crop is harvested. This is one of the most moving, beautiful, and thrilling movies of all time. The acting is perfect, particularly Takashi Shimura, who plays the boss of the samurai. Toshiro Mifune is great as the comic relief, who comes through in the end. The farmers and villagers play their parts to perfection. The action sequence in the rain near the end of the film is amazing. I had forgotten how inspiring and energizing this movie is. There is even a touching love story.

Takashi Shimura, who gives the film its moral compass

Toshiro Mifune

The young lovers

Training the farmers to fight

Funeral of a samurai
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

QUINCY, M.E. : Total luck I caught JANE GREER on a 1979 episode about a quack plastic surgeon. Haven't seen any for 45 years or so!