I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Hibi

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: March 14th, 2024, 1:08 pm
kingrat wrote: March 13th, 2024, 8:06 pm
The original Snapper was William Gray Espy, who decided not to renew his contract. He surfaced a few years later on Another World as Mitch, the guy who temporarily broke up Rachel's marriage to Mac. Then he was paired with Felicia (Linda Dano). Linda Dano later made some snarky remarks about how he didn't seem accustomed to kissing women.

(GAY SCREAMING INTENSIFIES)

WAIT, HANG ON HOLD THE PHONE....Mitch was gay???? I'm surprised LINDA DANO said that, I seem to recall watching her in an interview where she mentioned that she liked him and the main reason he did the show was to have the money to play golf- he was a fanatic.

in watching old ANOTHER WORLD eps from 1988-1990, I am struck by how much he reminds me of a very calm, placid HARRISON FORD- this photo really doesn't do justice to how handsome he was.

He and DANO had zero chemistry thoough, their marriage on the show only lasted about 18 months...

UGH. GOLF FANATIC??? I think less of him now. (LOL). Yes, he was handsome. I think he had longer hair on Y&R.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

TCM finally showed a very nice version of Lucy Gallant (1955) on Wednesday evening. In the past it has always been 4x3 'fullscreen', but this time it was shown in the widescreen technicolor presentation it was made for. Lucy Gallant is available on WatchTCM through March 21 if you missed it.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Allhallowsday wrote: March 14th, 2024, 12:52 pm The end of FEUD: Capote Vs The Swans. What was the point of all that?
Last edited by Lorna on March 14th, 2024, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Marysara1 wrote: March 14th, 2024, 1:31 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/tcm-c ... c6ee&ei=40 TCM is having a Robert Osborne tribute on April 14th. His intros and favorite movies.

hope you don't mind- I am taking the liberty of COLORIZING and BLOWING UP your post so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.
(i've noticed that happens easily with the format here.)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Lorna wrote: March 14th, 2024, 3:10 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: March 14th, 2024, 12:52 pm The end of FEUD: Capote Vs The Swans. What was the point of all that?
YEP!!!
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

I was charged up by the candor and violence of the 1st two episodes. Wonderful performances. The Black and White Ball was a letdown despite a great idea, and after that it was beating a dead horse. D A E D. Dade. :D
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Allhallowsday wrote: March 14th, 2024, 3:48 pm Image

I was charged up by the candor and violence of the 1st two episodes. Wonderful performances. The Black and White Ball was a letdown despite a great idea, and after that it was beating a dead horse. D A E D. Dade. :D
Agree. It quickly went downhill after a promising start...
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: March 14th, 2024, 4:37 pm
Allhallowsday wrote: March 14th, 2024, 3:48 pm Image

Agree. It quickly went downhill after a promising start...
Lending credence to your previous argument that it should've been a 2 parter. Just not enough material to stretch to 8+ hours. I don't know what the running time was in total, since I think every episode ran well over an hour with the ads (which I skipped over).

Bless whoever invented the DVR...
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I just watched The Seven Samurai (1954), Akira Kurasawa's masterpiece, which I hadn't seen in decades. I had TiVo'd it from TCM a while back. It's a great print with particularly well-written subtitles. The nearly four hours flew by.

The well-known plot focuses on a rural village of desperate farmers in 16th century Japan who hire samurai to protect them and their crops from the vicious bandits who intend to return when the barley crop is harvested. This is one of the most moving, beautiful, and thrilling movies of all time. The acting is perfect, particularly Takashi Shimura, who plays the boss of the samurai. Toshiro Mifune is great as the comic relief, who comes through in the end. The farmers and villagers play their parts to perfection. The action sequence in the rain near the end of the film is amazing. I had forgotten how inspiring and energizing this movie is. There is even a touching love story.

Takashi Shimura, who gives the film its moral compass

Toshiro Mifune

The young lovers

Training the farmers to fight

Funeral of a samurai
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

QUINCY, M.E. : Total luck I caught JANE GREER on a 1979 episode about a quack plastic surgeon. Haven't seen any for 45 years or so!

CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: March 14th, 2024, 3:10 pm
Or awards too. It will undoubtedly be up for some (especially in a year with few other shows in the running), and uneven though Feud was this year, Naomi Watts turned in her best work in years, and Diane Lane was clearly enjoying her character's acid lines.
CinemaInternational

There have been a few rewatches the last few days (The Best of Everything, Lucy Gallant, Lover Come Back), but only two new first time offerings:

The River Niger (1976): James Earl Jones and Cicely Tyson are wonderful at their work, but despite their valiant efforts with their typically fine performances, the film (based on a Tony-award winning play) just simply does not work since the source material, even despite being prize-winning, is monotonous and deals in cliches about rough-and-tumble neighborhoods and the Black Panthers. Plus the print quality was miserable.

Come Fly with Me (1963): Fluff out of the Three Coins in the Fountain school, involving Dolores Hart, Lois Nettleson, and Pamela Tiffin as flight attendants looking for romance and going around some very photogenic European cities. Too bad for them though that most of their would be suitors seem more like the wolfish ones in The Best of Everything.... still its a pretty good escapist offering and the Lois Nettleson/Karl Malden plotline is wonderful.
cmovieviewer

Post by cmovieviewer »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 15th, 2024, 3:23 pm There have been a few rewatches the last few days (The Best of Everything, Lucy Gallant, Lover Come Back), but only two new first time offerings:

The River Niger (1976): James Earl Jones and Cicely Tyson are wonderful at their work, but despite their valiant efforts with their typically fine performances, the film (based on a Tony-award winning play) just simply does not work since the source material, even despite being prize-winning, is monotonous and deals in cliches about rough-and-tumble neighborhoods and the Black Panthers. Plus the print quality was miserable.

Come Fly with Me (1963): Fluff out of the Three Coins in the Fountain school, involving Dolores Hart, Lois Nettleson, and Pamela Tiffin as flight attendants looking for romance and going around some very photogenic European cities. Too bad for them though that most of their would be suitors seem more like the wolfish ones in The Best of Everything.... still its a pretty good escapist offering and the Lois Nettleson/Karl Malden plotline is wonderful.
I find the beginning of The Best of Everything to be an interesting example of what it was like in New York City at that time. This ties into something I learned from the documentary The Automat, which pointed out that there was a huge number of women working in the offices as stenographers etc. in the late 50’s and early 60’s. The opening scenes in the film of people rushing into the city at the start of the work day provide a nice historical record and the Johnny Mathis title song is great too.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 15th, 2024, 3:14 pm ...Or awards too. It will undoubtedly be up for some (especially in a year with few other shows in the running), and uneven though Feud was this year, Naomi Watts turned in her best work in years, and Diane Lane was clearly enjoying her character's acid lines.
I liked all of the performances; don't forget JESSICA LANGE! NAOMI WATTS I am now in love with. I do not blame the wonderful performers for a very spotty script, which I believe had an OVEREMPHASIS on foul language. By today's standards "big deal" insert eyeroll, but then, these Swans weren't swearing the "f" word at each other in public places. Nope.
CinemaInternational

Allhallowsday wrote: March 15th, 2024, 4:48 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: March 15th, 2024, 3:14 pm ...Or awards too. It will undoubtedly be up for some (especially in a year with few other shows in the running), and uneven though Feud was this year, Naomi Watts turned in her best work in years, and Diane Lane was clearly enjoying her character's acid lines.
I liked all of the performances; don't forget JESSICA LANGE! NAOMI WATTS I am now in love with. I do not blame the wonderful performers for a very spotty script, which I believe had an OVEREMPHASIS on foul language. By today's standards "big deal" insert eyeroll, but then, these Swans weren't swearing the "f" word at each other in public places. Nope.
I couldn't forget Jessica Lange, especially not because of her run of marvelous performances in The postman Always Rings Twice, Tootsie, Frances, Country, Sweet Dreams, Crimes of the Heart, Music Box, Men Don't Leave, Blue Sky, Rob Roy, and A Thousand Acres. Some of those films might not have been as good, but she always gave her all.

It's nice to see Naomi Watts get a good role again; it had been too long; she has had a strong talent for a long time. The first time I saw her was in an Australian miniseries called Brides of Christ (1991), about nuns and students dealing with the turbulent 60s. She was one of the students, about 23 when she made it, and she was excellent in it. I've always kept an eye on her since, and she gave fine work in the gritty Mulholland Drive and in the old-fashioned The Painted Veil (one of the few remakes better than the original).

As for the language, it was overkill and anachronistic for the time, but all too common now. I recall seeing a marvelous film a few years ago called Motherless Brooklyn. It was an exceptional film, but the swearing level was way too high for something set in 1959. It was the film's only flaw. With regards for this series, I think it falls into the same pitfall as many other modern shows, be it a broadcast channel like FX or HBO or a streaming platform like Netflix: they feel the best way to grab interest is to lay on the language and nudity in heavy amounts. They call the use of such things the defining trait of high-quality dramatic TV. Strange, but I remember high quality dramatic or comedy/drama network shows of the past (Peyton Place, St. Elsewhere, Knots Landing, Cagney and Lacey, LA Law, China Beach, thirtysomething, Northern Exposure, Moonlighting, Homefront, The Practice, Ally McBeal, Boston Legal, Family) and they never had to go that deep in that material because they all had good, solid, relatable writing. And frankly, they have aged better too.