MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

What's a girl to do indeed.

I know what I'd like to do with Stephen Boyd.....
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

By the way, in re: Joan returning to her farm sweetheart, check out the more fortunate (or not) Glenda Farrell and the choice she makes in SUSAN SLEPT HERE (airing later this month). It's a hoot! (plus Jayne Mansfield's surprising true love in WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER?)
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 9:49 pm CI, I've got a lot of catching up to do with your list! I've only seen THE OSCAR, SKIDOO, THE SWARM, and THE NEW ADVENTURES OF PIPPI LONGSTOCKING, all truly terrible.
I think I counted nine of his list that I've seen.

Objectively, Skidoo is terrible, but it's a fun terrible, unlike, say, An American Dream which is just boring once Eleanor Parker's character kicks it.

For worst "serious" (ie not really low-budget stuff) movies, I'd add some of the "generation gap" movies from the 60s with older stars trying to be hip, like Bob Hope in I'll Take Sweden or Celeste Holm in Doctor, You've Got to Be Kidding! (which really should have been titled Humor? You've Got to Be Kidding!).

And then in a class of its own is Dondi....
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Hibi wrote: March 14th, 2024, 5:13 pm You never see Joan out of the office (never mind with anyone else) aside from that brief scene at her apt where she's cleaning up after some dinner party. She actually had a few lines there where she seemed almost human.
"Get yourself a seeing-eye girl!"

-- Joan Crawford to Michael Wilding in Torch Song (another delightfully terrible movie)
Andree

Post by Andree »

Hibi wrote: March 14th, 2024, 5:13 pm You never see Joan out of the office (never mind with anyone else) aside from that brief scene at her apt where she's cleaning up after some dinner party. She actually had a few lines there where she seemed almost human.
Almost. Maybe 96.4, enough to pass. Didn't one of the girls from the secretarial pool do
most of the clean up while Joan gave the orders?

Feud was on after TBOE. Such a sad story. Why not lighten it up a bit? Tru is about
to transition int the great beyond when a tipsy Ed McMahon stumbles into his bedroom.
"Where's Johnny. Hey, you're not Johnny. Joanne, who's the midget in the bedroom?"
Finis.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Fedya, you beat me to it -- I was going to mention DONDI, lol.
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 15th, 2024, 11:54 am Fedya, you beat me to it -- I was going to mention DONDI, lol.
I haven't seen that one, but I clearly recall Leonard Maltin's film guide making a crack that after that one, no wonder David Janssen became a fugitive (on TV at least). There actually were a few really bad films I left out the other day of my list because i was in a hurry, but if you want the names of more abysmally bad films, I will provide them.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Fedya wrote: March 14th, 2024, 7:17 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 13th, 2024, 9:49 pm CI, I've got a lot of catching up to do with your list! I've only seen THE OSCAR, SKIDOO, THE SWARM, and THE NEW ADVENTURES OF PIPPI LONGSTOCKING, all truly terrible.
I think I counted nine of his list that I've seen.

Objectively, Skidoo is terrible, but it's a fun terrible, unlike, say, An American Dream which is just boring once Eleanor Parker's character kicks it.
Fedya, this one made me out out loud. Literally.

Not as loud as I did at Andree's suggestions for possible topics to be covered in my proposed hillbilly forum, but loud enough to be heard by someone in another room
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: March 15th, 2024, 2:51 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 15th, 2024, 11:54 am Fedya, you beat me to it -- I was going to mention DONDI, lol.
I haven't seen that one, but I clearly recall Leonard Maltin's film guide making a crack that after that one, no wonder David Janssen became a fugitive (on TV at least). There actually were a few really bad films I left out the other day of my list because i was in a hurry, but if you want the names of more abysmally bad films, I will provide them.

Yes, please!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I've been battling insomnia these past few days and came up with 1,000 Degrees of Bela Lugosi.

I cannot believe all the connections.

Everyone here can do this. Just pair Bela with any actor or actress, however remote.

For instance, Bela Lugosi and Burt Lancaster = Lancaster is in THE BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ which also features Betty Field = OF MICE AND MEN = Lon Chaney, Jr. who substituted for Glenn Strange as the Frankenstein monster when Strange broke an ankle in ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, starring the comedy team and Bela Lugosi.

Bela Lugosi and Henry Fonda = Fonda in MR. ROBERTS also with William Powell, who starred with Myrna Loy in the Thin Man series. Loy is in 50 MILLION FRENCHMAN, with Bela Lugosi.

Bela Lugosi and William Holden = SUNSET BOULEVARD = directed by Billy Wilder = THE LOST WEEKEND = Wilder co-wrote NINOTCHKA, featuring Bela Lugosi.

Bela Lugosi and Frankie Avalon = beach movies with Annette Funicello = The Mickey Mouse Club = Bela said in a fan magazine that one of his favorite actors was actually Mickey Mouse.

On and on. Try it!
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

That would be cause for insomnia for me, not a cure. :smiley_chinrub:
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 16th, 2024, 2:41 pm I've been battling insomnia these past few days and came up with 1,000 Degrees of Bela Lugosi.

Everyone here can do this. Just pair Bela with any actor or actress, however remote.

For instance, Bela Lugosi and Burt Lancaster = Lancaster is in THE BIRDMAN OF ALCATRAZ which also features Betty Field = OF MICE AND MEN = Lon Chaney, Jr. who substituted for Glenn Strange as the Frankenstein monster when Strange broke an ankle in ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, starring the comedy team and Bela Lugosi.

Bela Lugosi and Henry Fonda = Fonda in MR. ROBERTS also with William Powell, who starred with Myrna Loy in the Thin Man series. Loy is in 50 MILLION FRENCHMAN, with Bela Lugosi.

Bela Lugosi and William Holden = SUNSET BOULEVARD = directed by Billy Wilder = THE LOST WEEKEND = Wilder co-wrote NINOTCHKA, featuring Bela Lugosi.

Bela Lugosi and Frankie Avalon = beach movies with Annette Funicello = The Mickey Mouse Club = Bela said in a fan magazine that one of his favorite actors was actually Mickey Mouse.

On and on. Try it!
Okay, I'll try this!

Bela Lugosi and Dwight Frye =

(...didn't know I was this intellectually lazy, did ya Bronxie!!!) ;)

LOL
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 14th, 2024, 5:59 pm By the way, in re: Joan returning to her farm sweetheart, check out the more fortunate (or not) Glenda Farrell and the choice she makes in SUSAN SLEPT HERE (airing later this month). It's a hoot! (plus Jayne Mansfield's surprising true love in WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER?)
WIll do!
laffite

Post by laffite »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: March 16th, 2024, 2:41 pm I've been battling insomnia these past few days and came up with 1,000 Degrees of Bela Lugosi.

On and on. Try it!
You are the Queen of connectedness. Sweet dreams, I hope. I mean Bela? :)
Mona
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: March 14th, 2024, 9:41 pm
Almost. Maybe 96.4, enough to pass. Didn't one of the girls from the secretarial pool do
most of the clean up while Joan gave the orders?

Feud was on after TBOE. Such a sad story. Why not lighten it up a bit? Tru is about
to transition int the great beyond when a tipsy Ed McMahon stumbles into his bedroom.
"Where's Johnny. Hey, you're not Johnny. Joanne, who's the midget in the bedroom?"
Finis.
Yeah, Suzy Parker. (The clean up gal). She got in a put down of Joan, then snuck out with Louis Jourdan! That seems the only reason for the inclusion of that short scene. It could've easily been cut. You don't see the dinner itself or who was there? Why bother??? They should've cut that and put back in Joan's big drunk scene! More entertaining.