MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Bronxgirl48

Re: MUSINGS, PONDERINGS, RUMINATIONS AND FANCIES

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Swithin wrote: April 4th, 2024, 2:00 pm
Hibi wrote: April 4th, 2024, 1:45 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 10:31 pm Hibi, I kind of like TAKE HER, SHE'S MINE but it's creepy what with James Stewart being so obsessed over daughter Sandra Dee's virginity. Robert Morley's dry British wit is welcome, though. There's a running gag throughout the movie -- everyone thinks Jimmy is Jimmy Stewart the actor, lol. Morley sees him walking out of a hotel and exclaims to a passerby: "Do you know who that is? James Stewart! (sighs) Will you ever forget him in GONE WITH THE WIND?"

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS is all camp as far as I'm concerned, lol. But that's much better than being dull; i.e., THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD.
It's been so long since I've seen Take Her I can't remember much about it! I think Elizabeth Ashley played the part on Broadway (not Jimmy's role!)

Take Her, She's Mine (which I haven't seen in decades)
reminds me of Never Too Late, another pleasant '60s film with a great cast based on a '60s Broadway play. Probably the kind of thing that would be a TV movie now, without being on Broadway first. These films are evocative of another era, even more so than '30s films. But they're enjoyable.

NEVER TOO LATE is indeed very enjoyable, thanks to Paul Ford and Maureen O'Sullivan as the late-in-life expectant parents.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Dargo wrote: April 4th, 2024, 6:48 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 10:47 pm Please tell me why I was so upset seeing Fred Astaire squeezing a rabbit very tightly by the ears in EASTER PARADE.

Okay it was a stuffed bunny but still.....lol.
My guess on this Bronxie, is that your feelings of over-empathizing with that bunny all might stem from your well-known and long-suffering case of Rabbititis.

(...btw, the ghosts of Lloyd Nolan and Zachary Scott have just whispered in my ear and said to say hello to ya)

lol, Dargo, I will send you a bill in the morning!! By gad, sir, you are RIGHT!! As someone who loves to analyze everything how could I have missed this insight about myself??
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hibi wrote: April 5th, 2024, 8:44 am
Dargo wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:38 am
Hibi wrote: March 29th, 2024, 11:06 am So who watched Goodbye Charlie? Despite the Mank saying it was a premiere. I still say they aired it before. (I doubt he researches what they write for him to say) Yay or Nay? (I recorded it).
I watched it last night Hibi, and I don't think I laughed once during it. Yep, it was pretty bad.

The only things I can say I liked about it was seeing Debbie and Tony during a time in which they were probably at the height of their physical attractiveness, and seeing all the toney SoCal locations shown in it such as Malibu during the time of its production of the mid-'60s.

(...oh, and Pat Boone's Ferrari and Tony's E-Type Jaguar were pretty attractive to me as well, of course)

I finished the second hr. of Goodbye, Charlie last night (nothing worth watching on tv) and have to concur. I didn't laugh ONCE! And what a lame ending. NO STARS.

Well, I gotta admit GOODBYE CHARLIE is not a laugh-out-loud movie or conventionally amusing in any important way -- but I love the ending! So cute!

You are a tough critic, Hibi, lol. But I still love you!
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

CinemaInternational wrote: April 4th, 2024, 4:27 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 11:08 pm Oh my gosh, TCM is running ONE TOUCH OF VENUS April 6th!! I thought they never would!! I had almost given up hope!!

It is a charming fantasy starring Ava Gardner as the ancient goddess of love who comes to life after Robert Walker kisses her department store statue.

Haven't seen this in ages!
You can thank Martin Scorsese for that one. The next few Saturdays are part of a director-programmed double-feature (mostly of newer films; indeed one director chose a double feature of 1991's [wonderful] The Fisher King and 2008's Synecdoche New York), and that was one of his two picks. So glad it makes you happy. :)

Aww, thank you! I (nervously, after the debacle on here with GOODBYE CHARLIE, lol) give a heads-up to ONE TOUCH OF VENUS and, though I might be premature, really do think most will like this musical fantasy. It also has Eve Arden and Tom Conway!

(by the way, I wonder if Martin ever did see the ending to ISLE OF THE DEAD as he became an adult. Wonder if his childhood asthma had something to do with not being able to sit through a certain character's fear of being buried alive)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

ziggy6708a wrote: April 5th, 2024, 1:56 pm
ziggy6708a wrote: April 5th, 2024, 1:17 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 11:08 pm Oh my gosh, TCM is running ONE TOUCH OF VENUS April 6th!! I thought they never would!! I had almost given up hope!!

It is a charming fantasy starring Ava Gardner as the ancient goddess of love who comes to life after Robert Walker kisses her department store statue.

Don't see it on the schedule :smiley_huh:
so I checked my DTV schedule & I see it @8:45 pm (CT)
:smilie_happy_thumbup:
So glad for you, ziggy! Whew, that was a close call!
Fedya

Post by Fedya »

Swithin wrote: April 5th, 2024, 9:56 am Anyone feel the earthquake? My building shook.
I live close enough to freight train tracks that I feel the vibrations of every train that goes by. I felt the earthquake, which seemed like a MUCH bigger train going by. It was only 20 minutes later that my supervisor, based out of Kansas, asked all of us living here f we were OK!

I also wasn't the only person who lives close to the tracks and thought it might be a train. :lol:

[Edit:] I'm up in Ulster County. On another board, one guy from Albany and another in Saratoga County said they felt it, too.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Early Billy Wilder tonight!!

My favorite director!

DOUBLE INDEMNITY, THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR, plus FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO, which I haven't seen in decades.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree wrote: March 31st, 2024, 4:48 pm I haven't finished my chocolate Easter eggs and still haven't stared nibbling on my
chocolate Easter bunny. Will power.

(in the vernacular of Nat from THE LOST WEEKEND): Did you polish all of them off by now?
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

HoldenIsHere wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:47 pm

You can thank Martin Scorsese for that one. The next few Saturdays are part of a director-programmed double-feature (mostly of newer films; indeed one director chose a double feature of 1991's [wonderful] The Fisher King and 2008's Synecdoche New York), and that was one of his two picks. So glad it makes you happy. :)
On Saturday 6/22/24, the two movies chosen by Todd Haynes are:

THE GO-BETWEEN (1971)
SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY (1971)

I really hope the version of THE GO-BETWEEN that's shown isn't the pan-and-scan print that TCM aired previously.
The movie has a great screenplay by Harold Pinter and a wonderful performance by Julie Christie, but when we watched it on TCM the sweetie commented "This looks like an old VHS recording."
Holden, are you familiar with the British musical adaptation of The Go-Between of a few years ago (2016)? It was lovely, though too small and unflashy to be a hit. Michael Crawford, then in his 70s, played older Leo. He was onstage throughout, occasionally communicating with his younger self.

https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/reviews/the-go-between#
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Swithin wrote: April 5th, 2024, 4:19 pm
HoldenIsHere wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:47 pm

On Saturday 6/22/24, the two movies chosen by Todd Haynes are:

THE GO-BETWEEN (1971)
SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY (1971)

I really hope the version of THE GO-BETWEEN that's shown isn't the pan-and-scan print that TCM aired previously.
The movie has a great screenplay by Harold Pinter and a wonderful performance by Julie Christie, but when we watched it on TCM the sweetie commented "This looks like an old VHS recording."
Holden, are you familiar with the British musical adaptation of The Go-Between of a few years ago (2016)? It was lovely, though too small and unflashy to be a hit. Michael Crawford, then in his 70s, played older Leo. He was onstage throughout, occasionally communicating with his younger self.

I didn't know that THE GO-BETWEEN had been adapted into a musical.
But that reminds of another part of the movie that makes it so appealing: the wonderful score by Michel Legrand.

Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I choose to believe the solar eclipse will have only positive effects here on Earth and as such is not responsible for Monday's LOVE FINDS ANDY HARDY.
Andree

Post by Andree »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 5th, 2024, 3:47 pm
Andree wrote: March 31st, 2024, 4:48 pm I haven't finished my chocolate Easter eggs and still haven't stared nibbling on my

(in the vernacular of Nat from THE LOST WEEKEND): Did you polish all of them off by now?
Oh yes, they're now just a sweet delicious memory. We have a bagel place here that sells
chocolate chip cream cheese. Very tasty. I was going to skip One Touch of Venus, doesn't
sound like my cup of tea, but at only 82 minutes I'll give it a shot. For some reason the
TCM schedule doesn't have it listed, going straight from Blood on the Moon to Violence.
Whatever.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Swithin wrote: April 5th, 2024, 9:56 am Anyone feel the earthquake? My building shook.
We definitely felt it here in Middlesex County, New Jersey.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Andree wrote: April 6th, 2024, 5:09 pm
Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 5th, 2024, 3:47 pm

Oh yes, they're now just a sweet delicious memory. We have a bagel place here that sells
chocolate chip cream cheese. Very tasty. I was going to skip One Touch of Venus, doesn't
sound like my cup of tea, but at only 82 minutes I'll give it a shot. For some reason the
TCM schedule doesn't have it listed, going straight from Blood on the Moon to Violence.
Whatever.

When needing a quick dessert I sometimes mix chocolate chip morsels into my Philadelphia cream cheese and then just gobble it up on a plate. A bagel isn't even necessary!

ONE TOUCH OF VENUS just concluded, and I remembered almost every line of dialogue. I've always however thought how unfortunate this movie was not given a lush MGM color treatment but instead is low budget black-and-white, making the whole production look a bit drab overall. Eve Arden still steals every scene!
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on April 6th, 2024, 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

I was very embarrassed for poor Dave Karger this evening.

"Fred C. Hobbs"