I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
jimimac71

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by jimimac71 »

About Perry Mason:
I've been playing games on my tablet and listening to Perry Mason.
While I wasn't paying attention to either 100%, Perry and makes good radio.
I could swear someone offered Jessica Fletcher a cigar and she said, "No thanks, I'm trying to quit."
"Southern Double-Cross." She is in Australia and her lawyer was just found dead.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

A certain cable "news" network: "Unhinged, psychopathic, mob boss, Mussolini, Hitler, Putin, Caesar, Attention Deficit Disorder, crazy uncontrollable child, reprobate, dictatorial, chaotic, pea-brain, devious, vitriolic, ruthless, Frankenstein's monster, alien orange mutant, vacuous idiot, spreader of disease, racist, bigot, loathsome, opportunist, greedy, sleazy, pervert, liar, insurrectionist, a horror show, sh*t stirrer, consummate narcissist, hide-your-kids-and-wife"

Then: "We cannot explain this individual. We will not find a sled with the name Rosebud"
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Which is why my main viewing now is TCM and Dateline.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

So I turn on TCM and there is Jean Harlow and Robert Taylor kissing. I stupidly think it's the beginning of PERSONAL PROPERTY, only to see "The End" appear one minute later.

Don't you hate that?

I was so looking forward to this movie but forgot what time it came on.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

I don't want to side track the conversation, just wanted to add that from the first viewing of the horrible Sheba cat food commercial , I've been disgusted that that ad is allowed. I'm annoyed every time I see it. The Lume commercial is also disgusting but not dangerous the way the Sheba commercial is. As a mother and Grandmother I am offended and horrified that anyone would think that ignoring a hurt child is funny. Both commercials need to be banned.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

I'm not a snowflake, obviously since I love Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm ! lol
Last edited by KayFrancis on April 19th, 2024, 10:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Andree wrote: April 18th, 2024, 3:34 pm I will put in a good word for Arty Tragg. I never got the impression that he loathed
Perry and Paul. Naturally they were on opposite sides, but for the most part Tragg
kept his cool. In some episodes he would come to Perry's office at the end and pass
along something that had made Burger mad and all of them would have a good laugh
at that. He was basically going behind Burger's back and telling tales out of school.
One of Tragg's funniest scenes was when he came to Perry's office at the end of a trial
that involved beatniks and he was leaving he said something like Don't crowd me granny
(referring to Della). I'm one of the hip ones. Dig? See you later, daddy-o. And Tragg was
much more interesting than the vanilla on white bread duo of Anderson and Drumm.
LMREO!!!!!!! I must've missed that one!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

I think that describes a certain public figure pretty well, Bronxie! :D
TikiSoo

Post by TikiSoo »

KayFrancis wrote: April 19th, 2024, 7:30 am I don't want to side track the conversation, just wanted to add that from the first viewing of the horrible Sheba cat food commercial , I've been disgusted that that ad is allowed. I'm annoyed every time I see it. The Lume commercial is also disgusting but not dangerous the way the Sheba commercial is. As a mother and Grandmother I am offended and horrified that anyone would think that ignoring a hurt child is funny. Both commercials need to be banned.
I hadn’t seen the cat food ad but get the gist of it from doing a search. Amazing.

As for Lume, that has been around a while, enough to spark a major deodorant company to develop/produce/market an “all body” product in less than a year. We have been shaming body odor to the point of people poisoning themselves in attempt to cover “unpleasant" odor. I do believe the Talc Powder lawsuit was won by the Public.

I don’t use perfumed products and I can smell people when they walk by OUTSIDE from so many strong artificial fragrances. Tide is the absolute worst.
If you keep yourself clean, you don’t need additional fragrances.

That said, I will spritz Chanel on occasion and that hippie staple Patchouli when hiking as an insect repellant.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

I just Watched a thread go downhill.
KayFrancis

Post by KayFrancis »

There are some posts in this thread about those commercials, since when is not not ok to respond? If you want to discuss something else, no one is stopping you.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Out here in CA. is a "Scratcher" ad with a cat and a laser pointer.
The cat chases the laser, scratching the lottery ticket taped to the wall.
This forum is anything but boring. It isn't just about TCM or movies. I love the flexibility and freedom here.
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

To discuss something more interesting: Last night I watched the first half of The Iceman Cometh. This is from the American Film Theater project that filmed eight plays with various stars in them. Whatever complaints I could make about the play--such as that the Brit and the Boer are too Boer-ing--are unimportant next to the clash of Robert Ryan as the disillusioned ex-anarchist Larry Slade and Lee Marvin as the salesman Hickey whose visits to the saloon are what the other inmate of the saloon live for.

Some people lamented that the movie star Lee Marvin was cast rather than Jason Robards, Jr., who had played the role on Broadway, but I emphatically disagree. Marvin's charisma, his utter alpha maleness, his ability to walk in a room and own it, are what Hickey must have. The director, John Frankenheimer, also considered Marlon Brando (who would probably have been awful) and Gene Hackman, who would have been good, but Lee Marvin was his top choice.

Hickey knows that Larry Slade will be his toughest antagonist. The moments of Slade trying to figure out what Hickey is up to, while Hickey begins the process of testing Slade's vulnerabilities are really wonderful. Every shot of Robert Ryan seems to show a lifetime of experience. He would die not long after filming.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Not that TV ads are interesting but the above item doesn't sound interesting to me either.
jamesjazzguitar

Post by jamesjazzguitar »

kingrat wrote: April 19th, 2024, 11:46 am To discuss something more interesting: Last night I watched the first half of The Iceman Cometh. This is from the American Film Theater project that filmed eight plays with various stars in them. Whatever complaints I could make about the play--such as that the Brit and the Boer are too Boer-ing--are unimportant next to the clash of Robert Ryan as the disillusioned ex-anarchist Larry Slade and Lee Marvin as the salesman Hickey whose visits to the saloon are what the other inmate of the saloon live for.

Some people lamented that the movie star Lee Marvin was cast rather than Jason Robards, Jr., who had played the role on Broadway, but I emphatically disagree. Marvin's charisma, his utter alpha maleness, his ability to walk in a room and own it, are what Hickey must have. The director, John Frankenheimer, also considered Marlon Brando (who would probably have been awful) and Gene Hackman, who would have been good, but Lee Marvin was his top choice.

Hickey knows that Larry Slade will be his toughest antagonist. The moments of Slade trying to figure out what Hickey is up to, while Hickey begins the process of testing Slade's vulnerabilities are really wonderful. Every shot of Robert Ryan seems to show a lifetime of experience. He would die not long after filming.
Lee Marvin's screen persona was perfect for the role of Hickley. See the vet Ryan and the at his peak Marvin doing their dance is something special.

While I assume we both are not saying Robards wasn't up to the tasks, I can't think of another actor, with as much box office appeal being a better fit than Marvin. (and box office appeal was necessary to get people to go to the theater to see a movie that was over 3 hours long).