I Just Watched...

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Lorna

Re: I Just Watched...

Post by Lorna »

HoldenIsHere wrote: May 10th, 2024, 10:17 pm LHF, do you (or does anyone for that matter) know why the story was changed in the 1931 movie DRACULA to have Renfield visit Count Dracula's castle at the beginning rather than Jonathan Harker (as happens in Bram Stoker's source novel)?
OMG AN UNSOLICITED DRACULA QUESTION!!!!!

(I am not exactly an expert, but damned if I'm not pretty well-versed in most things DRACULATED.)

The 1931 FILM(S)
[including the SPANISH VERSION] are based on a STAGE PLAY by HAMILTON DEANE, why DEANE decided to make RENFIELD the agent visiting DRACULA and not HARKER, I don't know- BUT it's the only change he made to the story that was a good one- it totally works and it helps to keep HARKER as the "straight" romantic, un-corrupted and conventional 1930's lead. and it gives RENFIELD a more understandable and clear relation to the story and the plot.

i mean, I'm HONESTLY not picking on him, really I'm not, but DAVID MANNERS was gay enough as it was, a scene of BELA going in towards his neck would've blown people's feeble, malnourished minds in the GREAT DEPRESSION. [PERSONALLY, I think they would've made an adorable couple.]

in the novel, RENFIELD is just a random patient of the asylum, as I recall, there is nothing to explain his connection to DRACUlA; however there is a character named MR HAWKINS who is HARKER'S BOSS in ENGLAND and it is left open-ended as to whether he knows what he is sending his young employee in for- this dymanic was explored in the 1922 NOSFERATU and the 1979 version too- which kinda combines the HAWKINS and RENFIELD characters into one.

EDIT: JUST TO TACK ON, in the novel DRACULA there is a rather insensitive, but interesting, point established that DRACULA has a special grasp on THE MENTALLY ILL and can rest in the GRAVE OF A SUICIDE VICTIM as if it were his native soil- this last bit was explored in a GODAWFUL 2006(?) MASTERPIECE THEATER version of DRACULA that has some TERRIBLE ACTING.
Last edited by Lorna on May 12th, 2024, 8:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

[i]i mean, full disclosure I've re-watched THE MUMMY (1933) in parts and in full since my review and it's such a nice restoration and there are scenes where DAVID MANNERS just GLOWS he's SO EFFING HANDSOME.
[/i]

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Lorna wrote: May 12th, 2024, 8:02 am [i]i mean, full disclosure I've re-watched THE MUMMY (1933) in parts and in full since my review and it's such a nice restoration and there are scenes where DAVID MANNERS just GLOWS he's SO EFFING HANDSOME.
[/i]

I love Zita Johann's response to Manners: "Do you have to open graves to find girls to fall in love with?"

Regarding Renfield: It makes for a much more effective film to have expanded the role of Renfield, who has since become one of the iconic horror film characters.
j.lunatic

Post by j.lunatic »

Hundreds of Beavers (2022)

Get your mind out of the gutter--it's about a mild-mannered applejack distiller who is ruined by marauding beavers. He responds by reinventing himself as a backwoods fur trapper.

It's a live-action film (the beavers and other animals are played by adult-sized humans in blatant mascot costumes) inspired by video games (which meant that certain elements didn't impress me as much as they did younger audience members). But one made by people clearly familiar with Looney Tunes physics, silent comedy (especially Buster Keaton), and the subgenre of films of life in trapping/hunting societies. This really amused me.

If you have a chance to see this in a theater, with an audience able to appreciate these elements, don't delay. Pregaming with your mind-altering substance of choice isn't necessary but definitely doesn't hurt. (AFI Silver was offering a Hundreds of Hangovers cocktail, based on applejack.)
Avatar: Madalynne Field (1907-1974)
Formerly known as Peg of the Precodes on the TCM forums.
Letterboxd: https://letterboxd.com/PollyPrecoder/
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

YOU KNOW, my feelings about THE MUMMY and ZITA JOHANN'S performance in THE MUMMY are very much the same-

I'm torn numerous times every minute between whether it's wonderful, awful, wonderfully awful, camp, meant in sincerity or tongue-in-cheek- one thing for damn sure, IT'S MEMORABLE and sure has some intriguing moments. (also, the story of her experience filming the movie is notewrthy)
kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Speaking of Dracula: the first ten minutes of Kevin Spacey's performance as Hickey in The Iceman Cometh are available on YouTube. This is simply some of the best acting I have ever seen.
ziggy6708a

Post by ziggy6708a »

in honor of ROGER CORMAN's passing....
here's one of his I never knew about....

"The Intruder" (1962) full movie. AKA "Shame" is a low budget Roger Corman film that deals with early integration in the south. William shatner portrays a carpet bagger from the North? Who just shows up to cause trouble. The film is way ahead of its time when you consider the strife we are encountering .....

"...The film's cast features a number of writers. Charles Beaumont, George Clayton Johnson and William F. Nolan were all working screenwriters and novelists; all three of them make their only acting appearance in a feature film in The Intruder. Leo Gordon was also an established screenwriter, writing several novels and films, and over 50 teleplays for various shows, while maintaining a concurrent acting career. Star William Shatner would, years later, also write numerous novels and memoirs. ..."

"Stanley Kauffmann of The New Republic, after praising the film's camerawork, editing, and most its performances wrote: "The Intruder forcefully reports a contemporary ugliness, but that report is no longer news. Its lack of context, its irrelevant sexual excursions, its final falseness, its air of a daring descent into moral slums, insure that it will have little helpful effect on the appalling situation it depicts so vividly"...

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intruder_(1962_film)

:smiley_chinrub:
was "mr6666" @ TCM
CinemaInternational

Post by CinemaInternational »

Lorna wrote: April 11th, 2024, 2:59 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: April 11th, 2024, 2:51 pm

In times though of actually hating a film at the very moment it was the "it" film, there were the following:

Don't Look Up/2021 (I actually used these GIFs of Elaine to voice how I felt about the film)
Spenser/2021
to be fair, I don't think you were in the minority by not liking those two.
WOOF!

PS- i was thinking about those stupid pearls in the soup just the other day.
Just came across something on a modern movie website. We have another ridiculous "pearl" like scene coming in one of this year's would be Oscar contenders. A film due for release in November called Nightbitch has Amy Adams as a woman who goes crazy and thinks she is a dog, going so far as leaving, ahem, bodily deposits in her neighbor's front yards. Can we say, train wreck?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: May 10th, 2024, 1:02 pm
Hibi wrote: May 10th, 2024, 11:44 am I came across this article about David Manners. Very strange his star was removed. Has that ever happened before? I know some have been removed over the years at the Chinese, but they have limited space, while the Walk of Fame does not.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hollywoo ... _b_4254602
Odd, because the Hollywood Walk of Fame didn't even start until 1960, as an attempt to revive what was fast becoming a derelict neighborhood. Manners had been out of the Hollywood spotlight for a quarter century by then.

According to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which manages the scheme, stars cannot be removed. They may be vandalized, however, or stolen. I believe they attempt to replace these. I wonder if this is confusing some earlier "star" award with the current one started in the 1960s?

The star "honor" is a pay-for-play operation. Someone has to pay a fee to have one installed. It's currently $75K.

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure when they started the Walk of Fame. Another mystery. I know you have to pay a fee now (and don't you have to show up for the ceremony?) Maybe they are confusing it with the Chinese? But then he wasn't a huge star back then so probably not likely. Weird. Wonder how they choose who to honor now?
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

CinemaInternational wrote: May 12th, 2024, 3:45 pm
Lorna wrote: April 11th, 2024, 2:59 pm
CinemaInternational wrote: April 11th, 2024, 2:51 pm

In times though of actually hating a film at the very moment it was the "it" film, there were the following:

Don't Look Up/2021 (I actually used these GIFs of Elaine to voice how I felt about the film)
Spenser/2021
to be fair, I don't think you were in the minority by not liking those two.
WOOF!

PS- i was thinking about those stupid pearls in the soup just the other day.
Just came across something on a modern movie website. We have another ridiculous "pearl" like scene coming in one of this year's would be Oscar contenders. A film due for release in November called Nightbitch has Amy Adams as a woman who goes crazy and thinks she is a dog, going so far as leaving, ahem, bodily deposits in her neighbor's front yards. Can we say, train wreck?
OMG!!!!!!!! Speaking of dogs, my nephew was in a play over the wknd that had a dog in the cast. He decided to drop one during the scene!!! The leading lady was a pro and didn't break up!
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Hibi wrote: May 13th, 2024, 8:48 am
Hibi wrote: May 10th, 2024, 11:44 am I came across this article about David Manners. Very strange his star was removed. Has that ever happened before? I know some have been removed over the years at the Chinese, but they have limited space, while the Walk of Fame does not.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/hollywoo ... _b_4254602
Odd, because the Hollywood Walk of Fame didn't even start until 1960, as an attempt to revive what was fast becoming a derelict neighborhood. Manners had been out of the Hollywood spotlight for a quarter century by then.

According to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, which manages the scheme, stars cannot be removed. They may be vandalized, however, or stolen. I believe they attempt to replace these. I wonder if this is confusing some earlier "star" award with the current one started in the 1960s?

The star "honor" is a pay-for-play operation. Someone has to pay a fee to have one installed. It's currently $75K.

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure when they started the Walk of Fame. Another mystery. I know you have to pay a fee now (and don't you have to show up for the ceremony?) Maybe they are confusing it with the Chinese? But then he wasn't a huge star back then so probably not likely. Weird. Wonder how they choose who to honor now?
Believe you are correct that you have to appear for the unveiling. Anyone can nominate a person or group (or animal, or cartoon character), but how they go about deciding who gets it and who doesn't - I don't know.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

txfilmfan wrote: May 13th, 2024, 10:10 am
Hibi wrote: May 13th, 2024, 8:48 am

Believe you are correct that you have to appear for the unveiling. Anyone can nominate a person or group (or animal, or cartoon character), but how they go about deciding who gets it and who doesn't - I don't know.

MYSTERY SOLVED!!!!!!

https://www.vvdailypress.com/story/ente ... 060676007/

Sad, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce official contacted had never heard of him!
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

j.lunatic wrote: May 12th, 2024, 8:37 am Hundreds of Beavers (2022)

Get your mind out of the gutter--it's about a mild-mannered applejack distiller who is ruined by marauding beavers. He responds by reinventing himself as a backwoods fur trapper.

LOL!!!!!

It's a live-action film (the beavers and other animals are played by adult-sized humans in blatant mascot costumes) inspired by video games (which meant that certain elements didn't impress me as much as they did younger audience members). But one made by people clearly familiar with Looney Tunes physics, silent comedy (especially Buster Keaton), and the subgenre of films of life in trapping/hunting societies. This really amused me.

If you have a chance to see this in a theater, with an audience able to appreciate these elements, don't delay. Pregaming with your mind-altering substance of choice isn't necessary but definitely doesn't hurt. (AFI Silver was offering a Hundreds of Hangovers cocktail, based on applejack.)
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Perry Mason again!

Perry Jr. was on again over the wknd. How many episodes was he in? According to imdb, the actor (Karl Held) is still with us at 92! He was a cutie (if a little bland in the show). I watched one episode he was in recently where he Indian wrestled some wharf rat type in a saloon and won! Hilarious.
Hibi

Post by Hibi »

Found this about Karl Held on Perry Mason!

https://www.metv.com/stories/perry-maso ... vid-gideon