THE CARDBOARD LOVER (1928)

Gagman 66

THE CARDBOARD LOVER (1928)

Post by Gagman 66 »

:D Another hilarious Marion Davies feature to be sure! Wow, I would love to see a crisp, sharp restored print. The one on the recording that I acquired in A recent trade is chuck full of ugly looking Chemical decomposition. However, underneath all that, the picture is still fairly well defined. I really liked the dubbed in score, it went very well with most of the film in my estimation. Thought it was the vintage track for a little while!

:) This picture was Produced by Marion, and Directed by Robert Z. Leonard, the man behind the brilliant romantic-Screwball Comedy Silent A LADY OF CHANCE, with Norma Shearer, and Johnny Mack Brown. This snappy comedy is yet another rarely seen MGM Silent which deserves to be resurrected from the vast TCM Vault.

:o I believe that this is the first time that I have ever seen Nils Asther, in a comedy? I honestly didn't know that He had it in him! Asther shows surprising comic flare here. He plays Andre, a French playboy, and renowned Tennis player, desperately in love with a gorgeous, but heartless Vamp named Simone (Jetta Goudal). :oops:

:wink: The two are engaged, but Simone is another love affair waiting to happen, and it happens ever other time Andre turns around! He breaks off with her time, and again, but doesn't have the will power to stick to his guns! She bats her eyes and he gives in at the drop of a hat!

8) Marion Davies is "Sally" a brassy American tourist from Chicago. She falls head over hills for Andre at first sight, and is bound and determined to make him forget the evil Simone!

:shock: After losing a bunch of Money gambling, which she can not repay Andre, He makes a deal with Sally to help him to stay away from Simone! He will pretend to be in love with Sally, even announcing her as his new fiancée, just to get Simone's goat! (Sure enough That'll work?)

:lol: "Don't let me go back to that Woman no matter what it takes", He says in a title card, "Even if you have to sock me on the Jaw!" Sally sticks to Andre, as if glued to the hip from that point on! When ever he does manage to break away, She repeatedly manages to squelch any potential reunion!

:roll: This is perhaps not Marion Davies most lovable characterization. Sally is more than just slightly pushy, annoying, and in general a bit of a pain, but she is indeed very funny! You just gotta love her anyway! She is convinced that Simone will bring Andre nothing but heartache,and misery, and thus willing to do whatever it takes to spare him such a fate!

:lol: There is an extremely cleaver sequence that is all feet! Marion's, Nils, and Jetta's, footwear are all featured, and my goodness how those frantic feet of theirs manage to express more than words could ever say!

:? Sally, just won't stop pressuring "Her Man"! No Sir, She is bound and determined to help rid him of his misguided love for that shameless Two-timer, no matter what it takes! Meanwhile Asther is equally determined to ditch Sally, so that He can go back to Jetta!

:D The ending might seem somewhat improbable, but it works. All and all great fan! Ans Andre is a mighty luck fellow to have these two lovely ladies fighting over him! Boy, how I long to see this snappy little comedy restored, scored, and broadcast on TCM!

Why they would choose a yawner like BEAU BRUMMEL over a nice Snappy Marion Davies, or Colleen Moore Romantic Screw-ball type comedy is beyond me!
:P
Last edited by Gagman 66 on February 6th, 2008, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Marion Davies does seem to unfairly neglected when it comes to restorations of her works. From what I've read about her films they have a fresh feeling to them. She was a skilled comedienne and it's time we were given more chance to appreciate her.
drednm

Post by drednm »

I totally agree.... THE CARDBOARD LOVER is great fun and Marion Davies is a delight....