The Joan Crawford Collection Vol. 2

News and Upcoming Releases
feaito

The Joan Crawford Collection Vol. 2

Post by feaito »

"The Joan Crawford Collection Vol. 2" will be released on February 2008. It will include the following films: Sadie McKee, Strange Cargo, Flamingo Road, A Woman's Face and Torch Song.

You can check more information here:

http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index/?cid=186367
ken123

Post by ken123 »

The only Joan film of the set in which I have an interest is Strange Cargo directed by the great & forgotten Frank Borzage. This film was also given a condemned rating by the Catholic Legion of Decency. some dude named Gable appears in the film too. :wink:
Marta

Post by Marta »

I'd love to have that collection. I've always wanted to see A Woman's Face. I hope it comes out here in the UK.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Welcome, Marta. I'm so glad that you've dropped in to visit with us.

I think that A Woman's Face (1942) is an unusually good Joan Crawford-George Cukor collaboration, though Conrad Veidt steals the show for me. Though a lot of the plot is absurd, I'd seek the film out for Joan's scenes with Veidt and one exceptional silent moment in a mirrored hall when Joan, who is a character who is used to avoiding looking at herself, sees her own image reflected several times. It's fascinating. I also enjoy the character actors who add so much to this, especially Marjorie Main in a serious role. Have you seen the earlier Swedish version with Ingrid Bergman? It seemed much more tough-minded than the glossy American one.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

ken123 wrote:some dude named Gable appears in the film too.[/b] :wink:
Really? :P :P :P

I'm more interested in this set than in the previous Crawford set, and I'll probably get it. I have never seen Sadie McKee and Torch Song but I love Flamingo Road and Strange Cargo.