COOLEY HIGH (1975) On TCM 3/31

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Dewey1960

COOLEY HIGH (1975) On TCM 3/31

Post by Dewey1960 »

Just noticed that TCM will be airing one of my favorite 70s films this coming Monday the 31st: COOLEY HIGH (1975). I can't recommend this wonderful film more enthusiastically---an African American version of "American Grafitti" (only much, much better). Set in Chicago (North Side, as I recall it), ca. 1964, the film tells the story of a pair of high school students (Glynn Turman and Lawrence Hilton-Jacobs) who grapple with many of the standard obstacles facing exuberant, talented kids in the urban malaise. Turman plays a brainy, irreverant kid named "Preach" and Hilton-Jacobs is "Cochise," a star athelete awaiting a college scholarship. Things get a bit testy when a couple of local crime kingpins enter the picture, providing the film with an unexpectedly melancholy coda. Despite a handful of annoying anachronisms, the film is beautifully evocative of its period (with a stunning soundtrack comprised entirely of pre-1965 Motown tunes; Chicago meets Detroit!!) and contains terrific and totally believable performances. Give it a shot; it's great!!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I saw this long ago, but welcome a refesher course. Thanks Dewey!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Based on Cooley High School in the Humboldt Park neighborhood of Chicago (near North Side), which closed 15-20 years ago, this is a movie I really liked years ago and haven't seen since. Looking forward to it.

Can HOOP DREAMS be far behind?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Why would TCM show Hoop Dreams? (great documentary btw)

Anyways I also saw this movie a long time ago on regular TV with commercials so it'll be nice to see it in hopefully a better prnt and without interruptions. I only remember bits and pieces of it but I do vividly remember Garrett Morris' performance as Mr. Mason.

It'll be great to see this movie again.