Desert Island Discs

movieman

Post by movieman »

I made an (incomplete) list of albums, so here's another list following the rules more closely:

Records (it's an impossible task, but this is what I came up with):

-"Guilty" Jim Reeves (a stunning beauty of a song and performance)
-"Teardrops On the Rocks" Jim Reeves (melancholy, beautiful lyrics and a voice of perfection)
-"Walk Through This World With Me" Connie Smith (just got to have a beautiful song by this wonderful voice)
-"With the Wind and the Rain In Your Hair" Pat Boone (the most beautiful song I've heard from this soft singer. "Moody River" is a contender for this entry)
-"Lavender Blue" Sunny Sweeney (a very beautiful ballad from the new country songstress)
-"Atlantis" The Shadows (an instrumental and a beauty from beginning to end)
-"What Is Life" Olivia Newton-John (an up-tempo George Harrison written song. I love it!)
-"Born Free" Matt Monro (Oscar winning song from the movie by the same name, with music by the composer John Barry).
-"A Big Hunk O Love" Elvis Presley (got to have som real rock 'n' roll to liven things up + Elvis made me a music fan and an Elvis fan)

Book
I've got hundreds of books, but haven't found one I'd read over and over, maybe "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck? Have read it once years ago. I'll never forget it, although I've forgotten most of it.

Movies
-"Out Of the Past" (1947) (complex story, entertaining, beautiful lady (Jane Greer), great script, quite suspenseful, beautiful cinematography, in black and white, Greer is a great actress, Mitchum is cool and a great actor) I'm sure I could think of more, but I've only seen it once so far.

-"The Whip and the Body" (1963) (beautiful scenery, mood, cinematography, woman (Daliah Lavi), weak story line and repetitive music, but what you can see and hear otherwise is a W-O-N-D-E-R, in color) A film I can watch over and over.

Luxury Item
Computer with internet access and speakers (would give me many more hours of movie and music pleasure, a pity the hard drive would get stuffed very soon, and what about sand getting into the cabinet...)

Even B (male)
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good afternoon to David and everyone else,

The list could be edited, revised and then done all over again, ad infinitum, so for what it's worth...

Live at the Fillmore East (The Allman Brothers Band)
Late For the Sky (Jackson Browne)
Rhapsody in Blue (George Gershwin)
Led Zeppelin (the first)
The White Album (The Beatles)
Sticky Fingers (The Rolling Stones)
Pet Sounds (The Beach Boys)
Learning to Crawl (The Pretenders)

Casablanca
To Have and Have Not

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell (because I can lose my place and it doesn't matter, it's that good)

A very large refrigerator (solar powered of course) filled with Yuengling Black and Tan (in bottles because they're more environmentally friendly than cans and I could fill them with rescue messages)

Single tracks from the above named albums:

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed
Fountain of Sorrow
Rhapsody in Blue
How Many More Times
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Moonlight Mile
God Only Knows
2000 Miles (the world's best Christmas song)
Last edited by Hollis on April 13th, 2008, 2:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mr. O'Brady

Post by Mr. O'Brady »

Music: this one's tough, as I'm more of an album type. I have to leave out my classical favorites, I guess. No explanations for my choices, other than they've always made my hair stand on end. Like Hollis, I can never really choose just a few.

1. Neil Young and Crazy Horse - "Cortez the Killer"
2. Billie Holiday with Teddy Wilson - "What a Little Moonlight Can Do"
3. Social Distortion - "Don't Drag Me Down"
4. Jimi Hendrix - "Bold as Love"
5. Roy Buchanan - "Hey Joe"
6. Artie Shaw - "The Carioca"
7. ZZ Top - "Apologies to Pearlie"
8. The Beatles - "I Saw Her Standing There" - a note on this one, this is the first song I remember hearing as a child. I confiscated the 45 from my oldest brother when I was five and have had it ever since.

Book: "To Kill a Mockingbird". Makes me angry, sad, sentimental, and happy. Can't think of any other book that does that to me.

Luxury item: My wonderful computer with a solar panel to run it. Guess that's two items, though. Could live without an internet connection, just make sure I have my flight simulator.

Films: "The Best Years of Our Lives" and "Three Wise Fools". "Years" always brings me down a couple of notches, and "Fools" never fails to bring a smile to my face.
Last edited by Mr. O'Brady on July 15th, 2008, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Here is my list
And thank you David for making me really think about what is and isn't important

1.Carol King's "You've Got a Friend"
2.Dolly Parton's "Here You Come Again"
3.George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue"
4.Dean Martin's "Return to Me"
5.Joe Cocker & Leon Russell "She Came in thru the Bathroom Window"
6.Fattburgers' "The Doctor"
7.Beegie Adair's "Theme from Affair to Remember"
8.The NIV Bible recorded by James Earl Jones, Laurence Olivier, Ronald Colman, Charlton Heston, Jean Simmons, Dame Judith Anderson. (well, this IS a fantasy, isn't it?)

my movies would be "Persuasion" with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds
and "Casablanca"

My books would be two old and beloved friends:
1.The complete works of Jane Austen - I found this Modern Library book at a used bookstore on campus many moons ago, and it has traveled many, many miles with me.
2. "Song of the Voyageur" by Beverly Butler - the first "real" book I remember reading. It, too, has made the journey of my life better.

For my luxury item, my entire "stash" of yarns, with all my needles and patterns. Actually, just having all the time in the world to knit, read and listen to music would be the true luxury!
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

I've been meaning to get to this thread for some time, but always seem to get distracted. Besides, it's really, really hard to do!!
Tunes:
SPANISH HARLEM – Ben E. King
UP ON THE ROOF – The Drifters
MORE LOVE – Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
SHE’S NOT THERE – The Zombies
THE GOODBYE LOOK – Donald Fagen
YOU DON’T HAVE TO KNOW – Phil Upchurch
I WONDER WHY – Dion and the Belmonts
TUESDAY'S THEME – Johnny Williams

LPs
BLONDE ON BLONDE – Bob Dylan
PET SOUNDS – The Beach Boys
AFRO HARPING – Dorothy Ashby
I LIKE IT SWINGIN’ – Buddy Greco
BRAND NEW MORNING – Frank D’Rone
PHIL SPECTOR'S GREATEST HITS - Various Artists
FLIGHT TO DENMARK – Duke Jordan
THE YOUNG GIRLS OF ROCHEFORT – soundtrack

Movies:
OUT OF THE PAST (1947)
SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN (1952)

Book:
Nine Stories by J. D. Salinger

Luxury Items: A great stereo and a fine DVD player and monitor. And a blender. I’ll assume this desert island comes with it’s own food and beverage supply!
David

Post by David »

Thank you all so much for your contributions. I am really gratified at the response to this site.
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

Hmm. I remember Desert Island Discs.

Eight songs? I'm an album guy too and found it incredibly hard to lop my list of favourite albums down to 21 for a page on my site. Shrinking 21 down to 8 is nigh on impossible. How about these:

Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer
Rev Gary Davis - New Blues and Gospel
Hot Tuna - Hot Tuna
Joy Division - Closer
Tristania - World of Glass
Townes Van Zandt - Rear View Mirror
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
Winds of Sirius - Beyond All Temples and Myths

Incidentally the list of 21 is here:
http://www.dawtrina.com/personal/music/albums.html

Any list of eight songs I could generate now would be different from what I'd generate in an hour's time. I tend to have at least eight songs a day playing in my head. Right now while I'm watching NCIS and compiling this my head is playing a combination of Gogol Bordello's Wanderlust King, Hot Tuna's Hesitation Blues and Metallica's Orion. I guess they must be this hour's picks. right now I really wouldn't want to be without Django Reinhardt, Billie Holiday, Tchaikovsky, Huun Huur Tu, Manu Chao, Tartanic, the soundtrack to Chungking Express, Korpiklaani, Hossam Ramzy's Sabla Tolo albums... heck, I can't even keep this down to eight genres, let alone eight songs.

One book? Eek. One library would be hard. Elsewhere I've only ever been able to knock it down to two: Robert A Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Alan Moore's Watchmen. Heinlein might just win in a fair fight. I go back to that book at least once every couple of years.

Two movies? Well one is Bad Taste. Always. But the other? Freaks? Amelie? The Killer? Blazing Saddles? Let's go for Santa Sangre.

And a luxury item? If Maggie Cheung isn't allowed and an internet connection is what everyone else has gone for, how about a ticket home whenever I'm ready?
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

We stole this premise at the public radio station I worked for, using local “celebrities” as the guests. It was a great deal of fun, and as I aired the program, my own list would change every week. So, for this week I’d include (and being a rock ‘n roller at heart, I’m not even considering classical or jazz, otherwise my head might explode):

If we can do albums, at this moment I’d take:

The Beatles--The White Album [simply because it’s the longest Beatles album, and more is always better (even when including Revolution 9, a favorite)]

Elvis Costello and the Attractions--Get Happy. (Elvis and R & B. Doesn’t get much better. While the vinyl has the best sound, I guess I’ll stick with the Rhino re-issue for all those extra tracks)

David Bowie--Low (Dunno, coulda been Heroes, coulda been Aladin Sane, coulda been Lodger...)

Brian Eno--Before and After Science (Found the album in my best friend’s older brother’s stack of vinyl, and he never got it back...)

Robyn Hitchcock--I Often Dream of Trains (Beautiful songs, laced with Hitchcock’s humor and wonderfully “warped” world view.)

Dylan--Blonde on Blonde (So many Dylan albums to choose from but I always come back to Blonde on Blonde. Unless I’m allowed to bring Biograph...)

Rolling Stones--More Hot Rocks (I know, greatest hits albums shouldn’t count, especially “more” greatest hits albums, but I’m one of the few who actually love the brief psychedelic sojourn the Stones took (Their Satanic Majesties Request is so much fun). Plus it’s got some of the best of what the Stones did best, R & B.)

Laughing Dogs--The Laughing Dogs (The opening act to the first rock concert I ever saw on the Pier in Asbury park, NJ. (Blondie’s--Plastic Lines tour) Great Beatle-ish songs and harmonies. The first vinyl album I digitized.)

The Clash--Sandanista (Only because London Calling and The Clash I know so well; besides it’s a triple album. Joe, I hope you and Joey Ramone are keepin’ ‘em honest in heaven.)

Songs:

The Beatles--A Day in the Life (Since I first saw their Saturday morning cartoon, The Beatles have been my favorite band. Since I heard this song, I knew why.)

Pink Floyd--Dogs (a nice long song with one of the greatest guitar solos ever. Eric Clapton is brilliant, but David Gilmour should be known as Slowhand.)

Robyn Hitchcock--Flesh Number One (Beatle Dennis) [A funny, thought-provoking song (would you expect anything less from Hitchcock?), with some great harmonies by Squeeze’s Glenn Tilbrook. Brilliant title, too.]

Neil Young--A Man Needs a Maid (Who would have thought this potentially over-produced song would work so well. Neil Young, that’s who.)

Elvis Costello--My Funny Valentine (Costello was just filling time and “tossed off” this gem. What it lacks in fidelity, it makes up for in emotion.)

PJ Harvey--Who Will Love Me Now? (This song makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Some of Harvey’s greatest songs are not included on her albums. She should release a major collection of b-sides and other rarities.)

Bruce Springsteen--Jungleland [Having grown up in New Jersey in the 70’s, I was sick to death of The Boss. Nevertheless, even then, I recognized that Born to Run was a masterpiece, and Jungleland has always been a favorite. (Bruce won me over, by the way, with the release of Nebraska. I’ve been a faithful fan ever since)].

The Ronettes--Be My Baby (While not a big fan of Phil Spector’s “Wall of sound” production style, he did produce oodles of classic songs, none better then Be My Baby. Timeless.)

Book: Much harder then the tunes. While I generally read non-fiction, one of the books that has stayed with me is Paul Bowles The Sheltering Sky. Either that or Grapes of Wrath.

Film: If I’m NEVER getting of the island, it’d be King Kong. If I have a fighting chance to leave the island, I’d take Children of Paradise.

Luxury: Since my wife would object to being referred to as a luxory (”necessity” would be more like it), I’ll opt for a case of Bandol red wine. (Domaine Tempier, 2000 would do). And a bottle opener.
melwalton

desert Isle

Post by melwalton »

David, great topic.

Book: Complete works of O. Henry.

Luxury item: Computer, of course.

Movies: 'On the Avenue' and "It's Love Again'

Recordings: ( this is the tough one, only eight )
Schubert's Serenade
the Moonlight Sonata
Cheek to Cheek ( any symphony orch )
Love in Bloom ( the Living Strings )
Ay, Ay, Ay, Ay ( Henri Rene )
the Words Are in My Heart (the Warner's soundtrack from 'Gold Diggers of 1935' )
You and I ( Guy Lombardo )
medley from "Evergreen ( Savoy Hotel Orpheans )
.... mel
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

Movies: Stage Door and Holiday: Cary Grant, Katharine Hepburn, and Ginger Rogers, plus a glorious mix of comedy, romance, iconoclasm, and melancholy.

Books: The Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract and The Catcher in the Rye. The 2 formative books of my teenagehood.

Luxury Items: Laptop.

Records: I'll take this to mean songs
1. "E-Bow the Letter" - R.E.M.
2. "Fall Down Easy" - Uncle Tupelo
3. "Big Boys" - Elvis Costello
4. "Digital" - Joy Division
5. "White Man(in Hammersmith Palais)" - The Clash
6. "Thick as Thieves" - The Jam
7. "First of the Last Calls" - Hüsker Dü
8. "Party and Bullsh*t" - Notorious B.I.G.