Red Hot NOIR on TCM in July!!

Dewey1960

Red Hot NOIR on TCM in July!!

Post by Dewey1960 »

July's TCM schedule has some incredibly rare and wonderful nuggets for the fanatic film noir connoisseur: the 1937 French masterpiece LE QUAI DE BRUMES (Sun July 1) is a smoky blueprint of what American noir would soon become; 711 OCEAN DRIVE (Fri July 6) with punchy Edmond O'Brien and that great climax at Hoover Dam; BIG HOUSE USA (Sat July 7) Ralph Meeker--straight out of Kiss Me Deadly--as a psychotic kidnapper; chilling! Also in the killer cast are Brod Crawford and Lon Chaney, Jr. Great unsung noir! THE STRANGE MR. GREGORY (July 11) is one of my favorite "B" noirs from Monogram--I had it on my Programming Challenge in March, maybe someone took note! It's a weirdly kinky tale of perverted lust with Edmund Lowe and Jean Rogers (Dale Arden from the Flash Gordon serial!!); CITY OF FEAR (July 19) with Vince ("Ben Casey") Edwards and directed by Irving Lerner who the year before did Murder By Contract (also with Edwards) which is fantastic! Edwards was terrific in a number of unsympathetic roles before becoming the good TV doctor. He was genuinely memorable as Marie Windsor's bad boyfriend in Kubrick's The Killing. I've never seen CITY OF FEAR and am very much looking forward to it. THESE ARE THE DAMNED (July 2) is a unique 1965 British b&w widescreen hybrid; part motor-psycho nightmare and part arthouse science fiction. Shirley Ann Field and Oliver Reed are in it. MacDonald Carey plays a boring American tourist. Directed by maverick Joseph Losey. An incredible month, thanks to the fine folks at TCM. (This is a rehash of a post I left on the TCM Schedule thread; please excuse the indulgence.)
Last edited by Dewey1960 on May 3rd, 2007, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Wow. Thanks for the tips! I will be checking those out.