Marx Brother's to The Goons to Python

Isn't Romantic Comedy redundant?
stuart.uk

Marx Brother's to The Goons to Python

Post by stuart.uk »

I've believed for a long time The Marx Brother's influenced the British radio show The Goons who in turn inflenced Monty Python. Goon writer and performer Spike Milligan did admit that the Marx's influenced him.

An example of this is The Marx Brother's Duck Soup, set in South America with Groucho as a dictator. In the 50's Spike wrote a piece called Foiled By President Fred. In That gas inspector Neddy Secone (Harry Secombe), is sent by his employers to Argentina on his works cycle to get an unpaid bill of £4s from Major Henry Blodnok (Peter Sellers). While there Secone finds himself in the middle of a civil war with the country changing hands and back again in a matter of seconds.

Michael palin has always credited Spike for being their main influence when creating Monty Python.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I just read Michael Palin's "Diaries," which covers 1969-79. It is a fascinating book, covering the Python TV show, the Python lawsuit against ABC, the filming of "Holy Grail" and "Brian," and Palin's early SNL appearances. I had trouble putting it down.

Palin expresses great respect and affection for Spike Milligan, who had a brief part in "Life of Brian."
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

I don't know if you're interested but Michael Palin has become better known these days for his exploration documentary's. I believe he might have written books on his travels. His first effort was Around The World In Eighty Days, where he actually follows in the footsteps of fictional David Niven in the film of the same name.

His latest trek was exploring Easter Europe. here's a link

Palin's Travels: Welcome to Michael Palin's travel website
The website of Michael Palin's travel writing and television programmes. Browse the pages and photos of his travels from Full Circle, Around the World in 80 Days and Pole to Pole ...

www.palinstravels.co.uk · Cached page