The Big Trail (1930) R. Walsh - Grandeur Version

Ann Harding

The Big Trail (1930) R. Walsh - Grandeur Version

Post by Ann Harding »

I don't know if any of you has bought the new double DVD version of The Big Trail, but let me tell you that the film looks and feels different in its Grandeur version. This antique pre-Scope version is just incredible! :shock: The film breathes completely differently there. It reaches an epic level which was absent from the normal 4:3 ratio version. I saw the latest on a big screen a long time ago. Now, I would love to see this Grandeur version on a big screen!

I was struck by the similarities between The Big Trail and The Covered Wagon (1923) by James Cruze. The two stories are remarkably similar and even Tully Marshall as the drunken pal in both films! :o

Another remarkable restoration from XXth Century Fox. 8)
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks for the very informative post Christine. I've only seen this film in its 4:3 ratio. The Grandeur version sounds like a real treat!

BTW, I have the DVD edition of "The Bat Whispers" (1930) which includes an early widescreen version and the 4:3 version, and it sure makes a difference. And I can imagine that this outdoors western must be really impressive in widescreen.