The Big Yin, Billy Connelly

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

The Big Yin, Billy Connelly

Post by stuart.uk »

The Glasgow shipyard welder began to make a reputation for himself as a banjo player, singer and stand up comic in the early 70s. His name was Billy Connelly, known as The Big Yin.

Then he was spotted by Michael Parkinson, who gave him a slot on the same show as Hollywood superstar Lauren Bacall. He told a vulgar story, these days called 'The Bike Joke' which made such an impact Connelly became an National Star overnight.

Billy's 2nd and current marriage is to Pamela Stephenson, who was famous for the comedy sketch show Not The Nine O'Clock News, making her Rowan Atkinson and Mel Smith stars. Pamela is now retired, but earns a living as a mind Doctor.

Billy, a life long Celtic supporter, made 2 movies I really rate. He himself will say Mrs. Brown is his best work, playing Queen Victoria's (Judi Dench)man servant John Brown.

His other quailty film was made for televison called Gentleman's Relish, playing a 1900s photographer conned by his assistant into making nude pictures with him thinking it was art, but in actual fact used on dirty postcards. It also starred the wonderful Sarah Lancashire as his housekeeper and leading lady. It's a pity a sequel wasn't made as Connelly's character decided to go into the movie buisness.
Dawtrina

Post by Dawtrina »

Billy Connolly is always fun, and while he's known fundamentally for comedy he's a versatile talent.

Two roles spring quickly to mind, though the films are very different and I'd only recommend one for more than Connolly.

He was the title character in Fido, a quirky Canadian zombie movie that really has far more in common with something like Pleasantville than Dawn of the Dead. You haven't seen him do anything like this before, I'll bet. I'd highly recommend it.

I wouldn't recommend The Boondock Saints to my worst enemy but Connolly is great in his small role. The only other things worth watching are Ron Jeremy and a flamboyant Willem Dafoe.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Watched him again in "Mrs. Brown" the other night. (Comcast OnDemand) and found him engaging and just right as the man who could break through to the queen. He and Dench were marvelous.

Fun to see Palmer and Dench outside of "As Time Goes By." (Palmer didn't have a very good beard though.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."