Hobson's Choice (1954) on DVD from Criterion in February

News and Upcoming Releases
srowley75

Hobson's Choice (1954) on DVD from Criterion in February

Post by srowley75 »

http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=461

As much as I hate to pay Criterion's prices, I might end up having to get this puppy. Kudos to Criterion for getting this classic on DVD.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I also noticed some great Buñuel will finally be availiable:

Simon of the Desert (1965)
The Exterminating Angel (1966)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

And WHITE DOG.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Hobson's Choice is another of my favorite British movies. It has been released here, I've checked on Amazon.co.uk for you. It's £10 it's probably makes more sense to buy the region 1 from Criterion.

I never bore of this movie.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

The Bunuel releases are exciting but, personally, I'm waiting for Rossellini's Louis XIV in January. That's one that's been on my "to see" list for a very long time.

Hobson's Choice is one of a handful of films that I love to retrieve and revisit on those rare occasions when I have visiting friends. I can count on the fact that few have seen it because of its (til now) inaccessability, and I love being able to watch it with them and get their reactions. As yet I've never had one person tell me they were disappointed with it.

Also new on DVD (finally) is Kon Ichikawa's An Actor's Revenge (1963), which I missed because it had been released with the title Revenge of a Kabuki Actor. One of the most entertaining Japanese films, with lush color cinematography and a plot filled with mystery and intrigue. It's long been available in the UK but has only recently debuted on DVD in the states in Region 1.

-Stephen