Holiday movie overload

Chit-chat, current events
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Remember the Night is indeed a great film and not just for the holidays. Stanwyck's scene where she goes home to see her mother seems to prefigure Stewart's knock at the Bailey Boarding house (after he has received his "wish").
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Merry Christmas everyone,

Am I the only one to remember "Holiday Inn?" Doesn't it qualify as a Christmas movie? I always thought so...

As always,

Ho-Ho-Hollis
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

:) It does indeed Hollis!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

MikeBSG wrote:One of my favorite scenes in "The Shop Around the Corner" is when Mr. Matushek ends up taking the new delivery boy out to dinner on Christmas Eve. A wonderful, wonderful scene.

Mike, I agree, that scene is absolutely lovely. Charles Smith, who played "Rudy", the new delivery boy, was also in the remake, "In the Good Old Summertime" as one of the barbershop quartet that backs Judy Garland.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Hollis:

I found Holiday Inn a couple of years ago on a special and grabbed it. I often watch it during the year for a feel good lift.

I watched half a made-for-TV movie today starring Jamie Gertz before realizing it was a take off on Remember the Night. It was called Undercover Christmas and rather than a moll, she was going to tell what she knew. To keep her safe for the holidays, the DA takes her home to his dysfunctional family, which is still more family than she ever knew. It was kind of cute but I couldn't help seeing Barbara and Fred on screen.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

For those still in the market for a darker Christmas movie, this past weekend I viewed To All a Good Night, directed by Last House on the Left villain David Hess.

Plotwise, think The Facts of Life meets Friday the 13th : Four outrageously overheated teen girls, their meek and prudish friend (who is also the prettiest girl in the movie), and a kindly Mrs. Garrett-type dorm mother are the only ones left at an upper-class private girls' school during the holiday season. The girls send Mrs. Garrett to bed early because they're hoping to entertain a young studly preppie and his friends in their dorm rooms. Enter our slasher friend who, dressed as Santa Claus, invades the school and wreaks havoc for about an hour (and guess which girl emerges unscathed). Turns out the murders have something to do with a hazing incident years ago that resulted in the death of a student. Ironically, the fun of this one lies in its predictability; if the film weren't made so relatively early in the history of the genre, you'd wonder if it was meant as a parody. All the cliches are here in abundance: the slasher slowly stalking victims who run and fall down repeatedly and thereby allow him to make up distance; a shock sequence involving a disembodied head; and sex leading to death (reinforcing that old idea that slasher movies are right-wing propaganda). Put it with Silent Night, Deadly Night or Black Christmas and you've got yourself a nice alternative to warm and fuzzy.