The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy - it's all that matters.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT. NEW SOFTWARE

Please read any new threads in this forum

Moderators: Sue Sue Applegate, movieman1957, moira finnie, Lzcutter

Ann Harding

Re: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT. NEW SOFTWARE

Postby Ann Harding » March 3rd, 2009, 10:35 am

klondike wrote:Pity us Baby Boomers who, for the most part, learnt to drive on what we then called "standard transmissions" (now called manuals, 'cause they ain't the standard anywhere, anymore); over time, practically everything driveable got upgraded to an automatic transmission, and all of a sudden, the right hand's taking coffee breaks on the steering wheel, and ol' mr. left foot's got nothin' to do at all!

Did you know that the fee for advertising in newspaper is different whether you ask for a right or left page? Obviously they are aware that people will look first at right pages rather than left. :wink:

Completely Off-Topic: Well, I am a not a baby-boomer, but I also learn on a 'manual car'. They are still the norm over here in France whereas in the UK, people favor automatic! :wink:

rudyfan

Postby rudyfan » March 3rd, 2009, 11:03 am

Jon
Thanks for all you do to maintain this wonderful board and community.
Donna
Donna Hill
http://www.rudolph-valentino.com or
http://www.nitanaldi.com

charliechaplinfan

Postby charliechaplinfan » March 3rd, 2009, 2:11 pm

In the UK were very much still a manual car nation, automatics only being favoured by the elderly.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin

jdb1

Postby jdb1 » March 4th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Jon, the Big Blizzard of '09 kept me home, where I have no computer access. What a nice surpise to log in and see this sleek and attractive new format. This is one Baby Boomer who find this setup a lot easier to read. Thanks so much for your help and rescue.
Best regards from
Judith

PS - The posting times are still wrong and refuse to be fixed. Not a really big deal, but sometimes a bit confusing.

jdb1

Postby jdb1 » March 4th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Sorry to be a pest, Jon, but I'm not of the Online Generation. Now that I've been on the site for a few minutes, I'm beginning to get a case of the Williwaws from those ever-present and ever-wiggling Smilies on the right. Do they have to keep grinning and rolling and crying and blushing in my face the whole time? It's really distracting. Is there a way to turn them off until I need them?

SSO Admins
Administrator

Postby SSO Admins » March 7th, 2009, 10:21 am

jdb1 wrote:Now that I've been on the site for a few minutes, I'm beginning to get a case of the Williwaws from those ever-present and ever-wiggling Smilies on the right. Do they have to keep grinning and rolling and crying and blushing in my face the whole time? It's really distracting. Is there a way to turn them off until I need them?

I'm sorry, but not that I'm aware of, unless I turn off their use for the entire forum. If people want that, I'd be glad to do it -- I have an inherent loathing of smiley icons. I think they're hideous, but a lot of people love them.

I answered your other question about what all the new forum icons mean here.

Return to “Announcements”