Welcome to the Fleischer Bijou

klondike

Welcome to the Fleischer Bijou

Post by klondike »

Hey Gang;

Had me a doozy of an idea while watching some of those great old Fleischer Bros. Famous Studios Animated Features (you could call 'em cartoons, but there's really not much resemblence, thematically); why not take some of their best, ongoing work, and actually serialize it right here at the Silver Screen Oasis?
There's much more I could say about the amazing work done by Max & Dave, especially with great vehicles like Popeye & Betty Boop, but if you remember them with the same sense of wide-eyed awe and reverence as I do, then you're already perfectly primed to rediscover their fun & excitement, and if they weren't part of your youth, skip all this blather & dive right in as we begin (in order, s'long as the embeds don't fail) our fantastic journeys with:

THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN

[youtube][/youtube]

And by all means, meet me in the lobby afterwards, where we can all trade critiques and share our impressions of the sheer, funky coolness of it all!
(And you can even suggest how often I should post new installments in the crime-fighting crusades of this mighty Son of Krypton!)
Flash: Free box of Sno-Caps for the brainy guy or gal who figures out why I've placed this thread under Film Noir, rather than Action/Adventure or Sci-Fi!
klondike

Re: Welcome to the Fleischer Bijou

Post by klondike »

Well, obviously you were all so thrilled with Adventure #1, that you were all stunned into silence; hopefully that will change after you experience that pulse-pounding excitement of Adventure #2 (which many of your grandparents would have enjoyed in movie theatres during the weeks leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor :shock: ):

[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey Dr. K - Great new theme park you've constructed here! One of my
own favorites from the great Fleischer Superman series...the exciting,
thrilling third installment...
"Billion Dollar Limited"
[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

Great episode, Cousin dewey; those trainjackers sure were determined to outgun the good guys, weren't they?!

And now, my choice for the final installment of my Fun Little Experiment, here: my personal fave, and my candidate for (arguably) the Best of the Fleischer Supermans -

[youtube][/youtube]

Grab some popcorn, and check it out; in the words of our late friend, Paul Newman, "It's sockeroooni!" 8)
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

One of my faves from this awe-inspiring series of animated gems was
the 17th and final installment...SECRET AGENT. A fast-paced, exciting
story and thrilling visuals! One thing Max and Dave and their industrious
crew seemed to be able to do better than anyone else was rendering
those great 1940s cars! Check out the Man of Steel...
[youtube][/youtube]
klondike

Post by klondike »

{In my best Homer Simpson voice:} Lousy spies!
Wasn't bad enough to smash up those great old Packards & Auburns & DeLaHayes, they had to go & sabotage the finest High Gothic clockwork rotation bridge on the Eastern Seaboard! Ya ask me, the mayor of Metropolis oughta send that repair bill right over to Mr. Hermann Goerring; ain't like the WPA has bottomless pockets!
Anyway, seriously, I gotta kick at how the animators took time off from drawing Dolores Del Rio as Lois Lane, and took a crack at rendering Virginia Mayo as the Mysterious Blonde Double Agent!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Nice collection of Superman Cartoons you've posted here, Klondike - my favorite is the last one too ... The Secret Agent one ... to me this is one the best animated series ever made - these 17 Superman CARTOONS are so timeless Klondike I want to say thank you for steering me to your post. I know you are one of the four moderators here ... but, again I just love this Web Site and this Discussion Board - I'm averaging 4-5 posts a day ... at this rate ... I will be around 1500 by the end of this year.

By the way, you guys have excellent tutorials of how to post pictures, you tube clips, and all. I belong to others discussion boards - but they do not have good instructions - here you guys knows how to tell us what to do and I wanted to say thank for the instructions.

As always, thanks again for the heads up on Hollis.