What Was the Best 30-Minute Western?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi Lynn,
I'd forgotten about Richard Jordan's performance as General Armistead in Gettysburg. He was riveting and believable as the real life tragic figure.
Thanks for reminding me of this. A lovely actor.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Moira,

My pleasure. Thanks also for waxing so poetic about The Westerner with Brian Keith. It was a great little series that gave Peckinpah the chance to work on his writing and directing skills.

I like it along with Ride the High Country and Cable Hogue for the softer side of Sam.

And Brian Keith in The Wind and the Lion, priceless.

"Gentlemen, now if you don't mind, I would like to be alone with my bear".

"The American grizzly embodies the spirit of America. He should be our symbol! Not that ridiculous eagle - he's nothing more than a dandified vulture

"John, I'd never shoot anyone accidentally. I need their votes. "
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote:Jeez, I dunno about blaming her look on "those sixties styles". I think that there might've been some dinosaurs working in the wardrobe and makeup and hair depts. on that show. It was probably some adult's idea of how a well dressed young lady should appear. Man, no wonder that "never trust anyone over the age of 30" stuff caught on.

I had two older teenage sisters and they wore clothes that were a lot cooler than anything the benighted Cissy wore in that period. And we didn't live in a penthouse on Central Park West, but in the boondocks of upstate NY. While we're on this topic, check out the decor of the Family Affair apartment sometime. Isn't it a bit cheesy looking in a mid-century moderne sort of way? I can recall being in Howard Johnson motel rooms with my family back then that had better paintings on the wall. They also had lamps that were taller than most of the doorways in my house.

Oh, and what about that Mrs. Beasley fixation? There was some potential for a good replay of the Twilight Zone episode with the doll who talked back to Telly Savalas there.

Goddess, baby, I tell ya, I think I might have a little touch of cabin fever comin' on. It's been fun, but I must get back to work. Yeah. Right.

Hi Moira! Ha ha! I actually loved Cissy's clothes but then I always have had a thing for the more ladylike fashions of the sixties instead of the hippy chick stuff ( I do like some of that but only in moderation). And I adore the way the little ones were dressed. I think it's a real shame they don't dress children like "children" anymore, but like scary little adults.

I think I have a weird fascination for the odd-ball color combinations of the sixties so I love looking at the sets, hee! That mustard yellow, the brownish-orange and that moss green everywhere! It's such a time capsule.

It's funny too, that as a kid I never picked up that these people were rich---I only was transfixed by how kind and protective "Uncle Bill" was, especially the way he spoke to the kids. I had never seen anything like that.

I guess the super-innocence and total lack of irony of the show is why I am drawn to it.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm not fond of the hippie styles either, Miss G. . They just look kind of sloppy. The two fashion plate sisters that I referred to in my earlier post tended to wear Villager, Talbot's & J.Jill clothing, which is neat, fairly preppy, and so well tailored that it is eternal. I'd kill for some of the calico prints those two had. One of 'em probably still has those clothes (love ya, sis, but let's face it, you haven't thrown anything away since grammar school).
I only was transfixed by how kind and protective "Uncle Bill" was, especially the way he spoke to the kids. I had never seen anything like that.
Miss G., you're breaking my heart.
One of the reasons that I always figured I liked Brian Keith so much was that he reminded me of my Dad. He didn't have time to explain things at length like Uncle Bill--not with a full time job and the original gang of four for kids--but there was a very similar manner and look to both men, (burly shoulders, big head of wooly hair of indeterminate color, which had once been light red, soft voice, and a gruff but kindly manner).

Now you've reminded me of two things:
How lucky I was to have him, and how much I miss him. No irony intended, either.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Wow, how blessed you are to have had a father like that! No daughter could wish for more.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I know some of you aren't that fond of "Have Gun-Will Travel" but I thought it interesting some of the people they got on that show. Just in the couple of episodes I watched over the last day or so Sam Peckinpah co-wrote a screenplay, Lewis Milestone directed an episode and Victor McLaglen starred in one. His son Andrew directed that one in addition to many episodes through the first season.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: What Was the Best 30-Minute Western?

Post by movieman1957 »

Beginning to watch "Wanted: Dead or Alive." Through the first disc and so far am enjoying it. Everyone made mention of his gun. So far I can't quite make out why he needed that kind of gun as opposed to a regualr pistol but it may have been just a different tool. It does require two hands to use so it would seem to slow him down. But I am over-analyzing it.

Nothing remarkable about the stories yet but it is a different side of McQueen. The first one out of the gate had Michael Landon as a killer. All the more interesting because it was different than what he would become famous for next year.

More of these are on the way.
Chris

Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I only liked the 30-min Gunsmokes and, after watching those on DVD and TRYING to watch the seemingless endless marathons of the bloated color versions, I still only like the original 30-minute ones. "They're ONLY an hour long..." Yeah, but they feel like 24/7... Jeepers, GILLIGAN got more done in 30 minutes...
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

It's a tie for me between The Rifleman and Have Gun Will Travel.

Both were outstanding shows that were plot driven. Peckinpah got his start with Lucas McCain and company but Richard Boone with that voice had me (even at a young age)from the beginning.

"Have gun, will travel
Reads the card of a man,
A knight without armor
In a savage land.

His fast gun for hire
Heeds the calling wind
A soldier of fortune
is the man called Paladin

Paladin, Paladin,
Where do you roam?

Paladin, Paladin
Far, far from home"

Unlike the boys in Stand by Me, I never forgot the lyrics.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The funny thing about the theme music at the end is, based on their order on the DVD, there is no telling when this shows up or the alternate instrumental theme is done.
Chris