ROBERT MONTGOMERY Presents...

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
knitwit45

Re: ROBERT MONTGOMERY Presents...

Post by knitwit45 »

he just always seemed sleazy/oily to me....

duck! Incoming!!!!!!!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Bronxie, Once More My Darling was his final film and a sort of wry, tip of the hat to his salad days as a romantic star. It's cute but mild. I wish he'd have directed more, he showed such astonishing maturity with his handling of Ride the Pink Horse.

Moira, Nancy---some things are just "chemical" I guess! That's what makes horse races. The only classic performer I ever had as strong a dislike as you ladies do for Bob, was Margaret Sullavan. I used to loathe her. Then, one day I watched Three Comrades and something 'clicked' and I suddenly appreciated her.

But I really cannot say I have an absolute aversion to anyone from the classic era, I'm just indifferent to some. The more we get close to the modern era, the more that changes. Starting with Tony Franciosa and Don Murray. AAAAAAACK!!! But their father's generation almost can do no wrong with me.

I wonder what that means. They do say some people are closer and agree more with their grandparents than with their parents. Maybe I'm that way. Or, in my case, make it great-grandparents.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Well, moira, you are not alone. I have always found him a little stiff. But, I often like my actors a little stiff. Hedy is a little stiff, Cooper is a little stiff, and George Brent, and David Niven. The difference here, I suspect, is that Robert is really just a guy. He is not really suave and sophisticated, but he plays it fairly well. So, when he plays a bad guy, all that stiffness equals mystery and suspense. You don't quite know what he is about. So, it adds to his character. Maybe that's it. Anyway, I have never cared much for him, but I give him his due! He was one of the greats! And, I love all of them. And, remember, someone has to be on the top of your list, and someone has to be on the bottom, but, at least, they MADE the list!
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Here are some pics with Garbo (I have to get her into as many conversations and threads as possible, ha!) in Inspiration. He was a little stiff in that as well, but I LOVE that film. It is one of my top five Garbo films. I was THRILLED that RM was playing opposite her. He was a HUGE star at the time, and she only had the BEST leading men (The one exception was Gavin Gordon in Romance, which should have been Gary Cooper, but he was too busy! Can you imagine?). So, again, I have to give kudos to RM. And, I am so glad he was part of the firmament of stars, AND that he got to play opposite GARBO.

If any of you haven't seen it, you really must. It is a CLASSIC in the true form of the word. It is pre-code (1931), Garbo and Montgomery, Clarence Brown, William Daniels, Cedric Gibbons, Douglas Shearer, Adrian, and MGM! Yes, it is a romance, and yes, it is a little slow, but who cares? Anyway, I don't.

And, what ever happened to Cinemaven? Hit and Run?
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

moira, very interesting. Just lie down on this couch and close your eyes.

Does Montgomery put you in mind of an unpleasant person in your early life? Did you fantasize about omnipotence as a child (flying around on your broomstick, making things disappear, twitching your nose), and your father tell you that you were just a mere mortal who couldn't turn nasty kindergarden playmates into toads?

We will explore this further. I charge by the hour, and I'm very expensive.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Goddess, I didn't know ONCE MORE, MY DARLING was his last film.
I saw RIDE THE PINK HORSE but (surprise, surprise) I don't remember it all that well. All I recall is a merry-go-round. (that's the way my brain cells feel these days)
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Hi, knitwit! If you think Montgomery is sleazy/oily, I'm afraid to ask you about Steve Cochran, LOL.
Last edited by Bronxgirl48 on May 3rd, 2009, 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Beautiful pixtures, Garbomaniac! Bobby is so "pensive" in Inspiration, I wonder if he
was a bit in awe of La Divina?? :D What I do like about his performance with her, is that he is so very touchingly young; he looks like the fragile one---even his stiffness looks like the pompousness of youth, so easily shattered by first love.

Bronxie! The Doctor is In!

She's expensive, Moira, but very, very good. She's only ever lost one patient, but that was
because instead of coming to his sessions, he was always going to Charlie's Place and drinking
with Lynn, a white rabbit named Harvey, and Gloria Grahame. :wink:
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Bronxie, I love having you here....

Garbomaniac - Love the pictures, I am going to have to watch for this one.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Good, Jack. It's a good watch, and very racey for its time. There is "prostitution," chop suicide, and snobbery! A great mix!

And, yes, Miss Goddess (I have trouble calling you Miss G!), he is VERY young, and it DOES add to his performance! That has always been my argument with Robert Taylor in Camille, as many people say he wasn't right for the part.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

jackie, the feeling is moo-chal. (would you care for some Ovaltine?)

Miss G., for kindly plugging my shrink services, you get a reduced rate, although I don't know how far we can get with your aversions towards Don Murray and Tony F., because in some respects I share them.

As for that other "patient", well, he's a hopeless case.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Well...well...what have we here? I see some folks with 'dual citizenship" posting. Cool.

I am a fairly new convert to Robert Montgomery. I look forward to seeing his films this May to see if my crush will turn to love or will it just be a one-nite stand (not that anything's wrong with that). Now I don't think anything can make me like "June Bride." Who'd have thunk the legendary Bette Davis couldn't really do comedy.

"And, what ever happened to Cinemaven? Hit and Run?” - Garbomaniac.

I am here GM. I love the pix you posted. Garbo's one of my favorites. Love Robert Taylor with her in "Camille." She's in control and he's such a puppy. Montgomery looks the same in those fotos; a puppy or putty in her hands. Sweet and so darmmmmmed young. I might've seen "Inspiration" many many many years ago and right now "The Mysterious Lady" is now on TCM. Conrad Nagel?? Ugh!

”Hi, knitwit! If you think Montgomery is sleazy/oily, I'm afraid to ask you about Steve Cochran, LOL.” - Bronxgirl.

Whew! I am totally besotted by Steve Cochran. Give me a rugged, husky, swarthy guy any day. That's one reason I committed a promise to someone to watch "Carnival Story" this Thursday.

"...Why? I usually like society boy types alot and love romantic comedy and even have a weakness for drawing room dramas. Psychological analyses about this block of mine are heartily welcomed. Convince me, won't you gang?!” - moirafinnie

This can only be explained by saying ya can't love everyone. Maybe the acting style of those very early 30's doesn't travel well seventy years later. I have a mental block myself about certain stars. If Bronxgirl's appointment book is not too filled up, I may need to see her about a coupla stars I just can't get passed.

Again, I have to say I come to Montgomery newly after seeing him in "Night Must Fall." I look forward to exploring him more, especially with Norma Shearer.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

And a hey nonny nonny and sis-boom-ba to you, CineMaven. You meet the most interesting people here, don't you??

I can squeeze you in on Wednesday. Write down all your dreams until we meet. If they involve Robert Montgomery and sweat, I know there will be a breakthrough.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Please make sure your couch is comfy, Doc. ;-)
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I watched a movie the other night that I ordered especially because I was wowed by the cast. From
MGM in 1933, the stars were no less than John Barrymore, Helen Hayes, Lionel Barrymore, Clark Gable,
Myrna Loy
and Robert Montgomery. In one movie. And I'd never even heard of it before: NIGHT FLIGHT.

Based on the lyrical aviation story by pilot and fairtytale spinner of the immortal Le Petit Prince, Antoine de
Saint-Exupery, this Clarence Brown adaptation simply never gets off the ground. I think it is definitely worth
seeing just for the cast alone, but my word, what Hawks, Wellman or Fleming could have done with this,
without studio interference!

I get the feeling perhaps the project suffered from the start from (and this is only a guess), being considered first as
an "all star extravaganza" in the vein of MGM's previously successful Grand Hotel ---instead of as a story about fliers.

As in Grand Hotel and later the same year, Dinner at Eight, there are several different
"story threads" going simultaneously and which have in common John Barrymore's rocky and risky
South American air mail enterprise which is pioneering all-night flight routes. Sound familiar? Well,
there was no Frank Wead to do the script (Oliver H.P. Garrett is credited) and the lyrical Brown may
have been the wrong choice for such rough and ready material. The segments never gel together---you
never see all the stars together and in fact, only the two Barrymores and Hayes finally share a soundstage at
one point. Myrna Loy's all-too brief appearance was just a warm up for the far superior work she would do
in Fleming's TEST PILOT.

I doubt many of the stars even saw each other to wave to during filming, it's all so disjointed.

What a pity, because talk about having the best possible source material, talent and everything else you
could wish for to make a potentially great film. This was a real let down and thru no fault of the performances.
There are even a few genuinely exciting arial sequences, but not enough of them, nor is there cohesive enough direction
to pull it all together and create any build of tension. The story takes place within 24 hours and it felt like a week.

I don't know what happened. David Selznick (!) was the producer, too, so I expected more. Maybe I judge it too harshly
but aviator movies are kind of a favorite of mine and I was disappointed.

Still, as a curiosity it would be great if TCM would air it. I wonder if the surviving print quality is an issue.
The copy I got was rather scratchy and very faded.

Anyone interested in the fascinating flyer-author, Saint-Exupery, should read this account of the man
who recently learned he was responsible for his mysterious death:

http://tinyurl.com/puq5mx

-- Will Rogers